“The Worst Hotel I have ever stayed in.”
Review of Song Hotel Sydney

Song Hotel Sydney
Ranked #103 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“The Worst Hotel I have ever stayed in.”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Had an impromptu night stay in the city and all I can say is that you get what you pay for. This hotel was so bad that I actually stayed in my car overnight and left 20 mins after checking in.

Issues witnessed are as follows:

- Room given by receptionist was different from the one I had booked ( later corrected ) she put us in a Single bed room instead of a double.

- Shared bathroom for the floor was filthy.

- I was questioned by the staff as to why I wanted a copy of the receipt ( and only after a few attempts actually received one )

- Room was dirty and small, facility's are located inside your wardrobe.

- The entire hotel had a distinct odour that was not pleasant

All in all, a hostel would be a better option in this price range. Please save your money and don't be fooled into what they are offering. This was quite possibly one of the worst nights I've had after spending a few months overseas and coming back to that s.hole of a hotel.

What a joke and a waste of money.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Navy12
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Navy12,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at Y Hotel Hyde Park.

Please accept my sincere apology that your stay with us was not the positive experience that I hope all of our guests have.
I want to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel when you next decide to visit Sydney again.

Jean-Claude Niederer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dorset
Reviewed 7 April 2014

On a hastily booked trip to Sydney to visit a very sick relative I chose 'The Y' because of its location to Museum stop (Airport train), and the fact breakfast was included in the price. I also appreciated the choice of rooms for varying budgets. As I was able to stay with family members for some of my stay, I actually booked into the Y for 2 nights on three separate occasions over my fortnight's visit. The first stay was in a double room/shared bathroom. Absolutely spotless facilities, room great, TV, fridge, hairdryer and tea/coffee making facilities. Laundry room on floor 8. Secure luggage storage in foyer. I paid extra on the first morning for scrambled eggs and bacon but never bothered after that as the 6 cereals ( inc.delicious meusli!) and 3 types of bread for toasting with jams, marm. peanut butter, vegemite as well as unlimited juices, coffee and tea was substantial enough. The front desk were incredibly helpful - making telephone calls on my behalf and advising on transport options. For my second and 3rd stay I treated my self to a room with an en-suite. Both rooms were once again spotless, the bed very comfortable and the laundry room came into it's own - $3 for an industrial size wash and $3 for 1 HOUR's drying in the equally large tumble dryer - Bargain!

I would stay again without hesitation and recommend the Y to anyone. I have to say I simply don't recognise the negative reviews in particular regarding the attitude of the staff - without fail every member of staff I met (bearing in mind I checked-in on 3 separate occasions over a fortnight) was smiling and ultra helpful - front desk, breakfast waiters, housekeeping. Good value for Sydney.

Room Tip: First 2 night stay, room with shared bathroom on Floor 8 - excellent Second 2 night stay, twin bedr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Masterelectrician
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Masterelectrician,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stays with us.

Your comments are very much appreciated and we are happy to read that we met your expectations on all fronts. I have already passed on your positive appraisal of our staff to the team.

Whenever you return to Sydney, please do not hesitate to contact us directly to make a booking.

Warmest regards,
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is the third time we have stayed in the Y Hyde Park. The location is excellent, right on the corner of Hyde Park with easy access to Oxford St.

However the hotel needs some work. This time we had a king studio apartment. While everything was there it was very cramped and very old. There was no room for a second side table by the bed. The bathroom sink was missing some grout or silicone, the shower went onto the floor making everything wet.

We found and killed a cockroach one morning but housekeeping did not even move the body when cleaning.

We paid for extra wi fi in the room and this was only for one device at a time, while we could have coped with that it was very difficult to turn one device off so that you could use another.

A continental breakfast was included and this was only passable the service in the restaurant was OK but very crowded.

Housekeeping took more than 4 hours to make up our room one day and reception was overtly assertive in telling me that they were doing the empty rooms first for check in & that I was on the list--- I nearly complained to management about her attitude.

Would we stay here again? I think not there are other hotels in the area offering better service for similar rates.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 2pinkducks,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at Y Hotels Hyde Park.

I am sorry to read that you did not find all our services or facilities to your satisfaction.
Please accept my sincere apology that the cleanliness of the room was not up to the standard we strive to achieve.
Whilst I appreciate your point in regards to the timing of the cleaning of your room, and we do try to meet guests’ requests, it is true that we do prioritise resources to make rooms available for guest arrivals (from 2.00pm) and, on days when our occupancies are very high, this may delay servicing the rooms of our in house guests.

Be assured that I have already passed your comments onto the team.

We sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Y Hotel Hyde Park again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent however the rooms are very tired. What really lets this hotel down however is the staff. During our stay we had a few issues and on each occasion were shocked by how bad the service was.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matrhi
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Matrhi,

I would like first of all to thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Y Hotel Hyde Park.
I am disappointed though that our team did not deliver the level of service that I would expect them to provide each and every one of our guests.

I value all feedback we receive as it helps us to focus on areas that need improvement. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail.

Thank you again for your time.
Jean-Claude Niederer

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Tiny rooms, less than basic amenities, moderate service, noisy A/C, poor window coverings that let in too much light, overall a poor experience. Questionable cleanliness, I kept all my bags up off the floor.

Seminar facilities were average, poor room layout, ok but not great.

Room Tip: Included hot breakfast was poorly prepared very average.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear MarkWebbOz,

I am disappointed that our facilities and services did not measure up to expectations and please accept my sincere apology.
I have reviewed your comments with my team, in particular those relating to quality of service, to focus on and ensure greater consistency.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

After staying in hostels for most of my trip, I decided to treat myself to a single en-suite room at the Y Hotel for my 3 nights in Sydney. I'm very glad I did! The Hotel is in an excellent location - I walked to everything. The room itself was really well equipped and very comfortable and clean, I wish I could have stayed longer. Staff were super friendly and helpful - they kindly checked me in very early and had a room I could leave my luggage in on my final day. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Clare2108
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Hi Clare

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Y Hotel Hyde Park. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much that you wanted to ‘stay longer’! Customer service is an integral part of the Y Hotel community so we are glad that our staff made you feel welcome.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed in March for 2 nights.
The staff were not friendly or courteous.
We endeared our room to find clusters of dust all through the closet, and no additional power points, the only ones where behind the bed for lamps which were also dusty. The air conditioner hardly reached a cool temperature which was no good because there is no access to open balcony doors and there are no windows to open.
There was no phone in our room to contact staff only on the hall way which they did not answer once.
We had to share a bathroom which had rusted areas and needed fans installed. The bathrooms needed to be cleaned more often as peoples left over towels and wash sponges where in there for our entire stay .
Breakfast we satisfactory as you could up grade which was good although they left out half my partners meal as they needed to cook more and then never returned to finish bringing out her food, when we approached they said kitchen was closed. Absolutely appalling .
Baggage area was available although was unlocked the whole time and unattended therefore NOT secure .
Overall... Terrible experience .
Do not recommend .

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Moniqueecalcagno,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Y Hotel Hyde Park.

We value all feedback we receive as it gives us an opportunity to review our operations, refocus and improve where required, or otherwise allows us to thank our team members for a job well done.

For security reasons, our balcony doors only open about 10 cm. Y Hotel Hyde Park offers rooms with private facilities (Deluxe) as well as rooms sharing a bathroom (Traditional). Our luggage room is locked and can only be open by the front office team, though very clearly we state that this facility is offered as a convenience and that no responsibility can be taken for items stored. We also offer to look after any valuables in our back office.

Thank you again for your feedback.