“Blend of Hostel and Hotel, central, fair value, limited facilities”
Review of Song Hotel Sydney

Song Hotel Sydney
Ranked #108 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed in two Y Hotels in Sydney ( this one is certainly better than Y central near central staion).
It is interesting blend between budget hotel ( ie.ie coffee, tea, fridge and tv in the room) and hostel ( i.ie hared rooms, communal kitchen and shared bathrooms facilities). As such it has pros and cons of both type of accommodation. All in worth staying
Pros:
-Blend between hotel and hostel,
-central location opposite Hyde Park, 3 min walking to Museum train station
- price was fair 80-100 $ ( more expensive than bunk in hostels but cheaper than double in most budget hotels). Twin or double room is better than 4 bed shared room ( but more expensive)
-communal kitchen,
-breakfast included and option to upgrade breakfast,
-coffee and tea provided in the room ( in twin and double but not in the 4 bed)
-comfy beds

Cons:
-Facilities limited,
-Not very backpacker friendly: limited communal space, hardly impossible to meet and get around with other travelers,
-Internet too expensive and not very fast,
-some staff were friendly some not

Room Tip: Shared kitchen is only on the 3rd floor, so if you plan to cook some basic meal ( kettle and microwa...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Cezaryfree,

Many thanks for your kind comments following your recent stay with us.

I particularly appreciate your acknowledgement that you can find both accommodation with private bathrooms (our deluxe rooms) and shared bathrooms (our traditional rooms) within the hotel.

All in all we aim is to offer affordable rooms, with a light continental breakfast buffet included in the rate, right in the centre of town.

Kind regards,
Jean-Claude Niederer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,987)

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Staff- friendly and informative and flexible.

Continental Breakfast in the downstairs cafe is great, fresh and everything we needed and available til 1030am!!!

Checkout is 11AM which is a bonus so there is no rushing.
I paid $77 for the night for 2 which included breakfast. Bargain if you ask me for city!

We have an economy on level 3. It over looks the road. t's was very musty smelling with 4 single beds, a big window ( no blackout curtains just so very light ) and a built in cupboard.
The linen is fresh and the beds are comfy.
When booking the economy room remember it is just that - there is no TV, jug, sink or anything in the room. There is a shared bathroom for the floor which is tidy but old and tired and needs a major bleach scrub.
Room was was pretty noisy due to street frontage so take earplugs if you are a light sleeper.
Level 3 has a shared kitchenette with complimentary tea, coffee, fridge .. Ice machine!! There is a sitting area with table and chairs.

The others levels must all me ensuite rooms which i believe have tvs and tea making facilities inside.They have a lounge area on each floor.

I had mixed feeling when I first arrived but you have to look at it for what it is - In my case VErY cheap inner city accommodation with breakfast. I am not sure how I would feel if I had paid more money ( I did get it on special) but for this stay - I am happy.

If you just need somewhere to lay your head I would recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Nicky L,

Many thanks for your review and comments which are very much appreciated.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to Y Hotel Hyde Park when you next intend to visit Sydney again.

Best regards,

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Had an impromptu night stay in the city and all I can say is that you get what you pay for. This hotel was so bad that I actually stayed in my car overnight and left 20 mins after checking in.

Issues witnessed are as follows:

- Room given by receptionist was different from the one I had booked ( later corrected ) she put us in a Single bed room instead of a double.

- Shared bathroom for the floor was filthy.

- I was questioned by the staff as to why I wanted a copy of the receipt ( and only after a few attempts actually received one )

- Room was dirty and small, facility's are located inside your wardrobe.

- The entire hotel had a distinct odour that was not pleasant

All in all, a hostel would be a better option in this price range. Please save your money and don't be fooled into what they are offering. This was quite possibly one of the worst nights I've had after spending a few months overseas and coming back to that s.hole of a hotel.

What a joke and a waste of money.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Navy12

Dear Navy12,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at Y Hotel Hyde Park.

Please accept my sincere apology that your stay with us was not the positive experience that I hope all of our guests have.
I want to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel when you next decide to visit Sydney again.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

On a hastily booked trip to Sydney to visit a very sick relative I chose 'The Y' because of its location to Museum stop (Airport train), and the fact breakfast was included in the price. I also appreciated the choice of rooms for varying budgets. As I was able to stay with family members for some of my stay, I actually booked into the Y for 2 nights on three separate occasions over my fortnight's visit. The first stay was in a double room/shared bathroom. Absolutely spotless facilities, room great, TV, fridge, hairdryer and tea/coffee making facilities. Laundry room on floor 8. Secure luggage storage in foyer. I paid extra on the first morning for scrambled eggs and bacon but never bothered after that as the 6 cereals ( inc.delicious meusli!) and 3 types of bread for toasting with jams, marm. peanut butter, vegemite as well as unlimited juices, coffee and tea was substantial enough. The front desk were incredibly helpful - making telephone calls on my behalf and advising on transport options. For my second and 3rd stay I treated my self to a room with an en-suite. Both rooms were once again spotless, the bed very comfortable and the laundry room came into it's own - $3 for an industrial size wash and $3 for 1 HOUR's drying in the equally large tumble dryer - Bargain!

I would stay again without hesitation and recommend the Y to anyone. I have to say I simply don't recognise the negative reviews in particular regarding the attitude of the staff - without fail every member of staff I met (bearing in mind I checked-in on 3 separate occasions over a fortnight) was smiling and ultra helpful - front desk, breakfast waiters, housekeeping. Good value for Sydney.

Room Tip: First 2 night stay, room with shared bathroom on Floor 8 - excellent Second 2 night stay, twin bedr...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Masterelectrician
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Masterelectrician,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stays with us.

Your comments are very much appreciated and we are happy to read that we met your expectations on all fronts. I have already passed on your positive appraisal of our staff to the team.

Whenever you return to Sydney, please do not hesitate to contact us directly to make a booking.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is the third time we have stayed in the Y Hyde Park. The location is excellent, right on the corner of Hyde Park with easy access to Oxford St.

However the hotel needs some work. This time we had a king studio apartment. While everything was there it was very cramped and very old. There was no room for a second side table by the bed. The bathroom sink was missing some grout or silicone, the shower went onto the floor making everything wet.

We found and killed a cockroach one morning but housekeeping did not even move the body when cleaning.

We paid for extra wi fi in the room and this was only for one device at a time, while we could have coped with that it was very difficult to turn one device off so that you could use another.

A continental breakfast was included and this was only passable the service in the restaurant was OK but very crowded.

Housekeeping took more than 4 hours to make up our room one day and reception was overtly assertive in telling me that they were doing the empty rooms first for check in & that I was on the list--- I nearly complained to management about her attitude.

Would we stay here again? I think not there are other hotels in the area offering better service for similar rates.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 2pinkducks,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at Y Hotels Hyde Park.

I am sorry to read that you did not find all our services or facilities to your satisfaction.
Please accept my sincere apology that the cleanliness of the room was not up to the standard we strive to achieve.
Whilst I appreciate your point in regards to the timing of the cleaning of your room, and we do try to meet guests’ requests, it is true that we do prioritise resources to make rooms available for guest arrivals (from 2.00pm) and, on days when our occupancies are very high, this may delay servicing the rooms of our in house guests.

Be assured that I have already passed your comments onto the team.

We sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Y Hotel Hyde Park again in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent however the rooms are very tired. What really lets this hotel down however is the staff. During our stay we had a few issues and on each occasion were shocked by how bad the service was.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matrhi
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Matrhi,

I would like first of all to thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Y Hotel Hyde Park.
I am disappointed though that our team did not deliver the level of service that I would expect them to provide each and every one of our guests.

I value all feedback we receive as it helps us to focus on areas that need improvement. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail.

Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Tiny rooms, less than basic amenities, moderate service, noisy A/C, poor window coverings that let in too much light, overall a poor experience. Questionable cleanliness, I kept all my bags up off the floor.

Seminar facilities were average, poor room layout, ok but not great.

Room Tip: Included hot breakfast was poorly prepared very average.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear MarkWebbOz,

I am disappointed that our facilities and services did not measure up to expectations and please accept my sincere apology.
I have reviewed your comments with my team, in particular those relating to quality of service, to focus on and ensure greater consistency.

Thank you again for your feedback.