“Gorgeous food, arrogant staff”

Sake Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #86 of 6,224 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: The Rocks
Description: Set within an impressive designer space in the historic Argyle Precinct at The Rocks, Saké Restaurant & Bar serves up contemporary Japanese fare created by sushi master Shimpei Hatanaka, who draws on authentic Japanese training to present an outstanding mix of new-style sushi and classic dishes.Shimpei's menu changes with the seasons and is perfectly matched to a premium range of imported sakes, allowing guests to gain greater insight into the age-old Japanese tradition of delicately balancing flavours. Awarded with a coveted Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide Chef's Hat each year since opening, Saké is sure to exceed your expectations. Call in for cocktails, pull up a seat at the sushi bar or settle in with friends for the evening and savour the experience!
Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

The food in this restaurant is absolutely gorgeous, a modern and creative interpretation of Japanese kitchen. Sadly I found that the waiting stuff couldn't be bothered to smile at us once. From the beginning our main waiter dropped with a face and a tone that suggested that me and my business guests were a huge hassle for him and taking our order really kept him from something important. He sighed at everything, we felt he was looking down on us. Once we started ordering champagne his attitude did change a bit. I don't think that's okay, honestly! No matter my position or income, I am always friendly to waiting staff and am not looking down on them. But don't give me arrogant attitude as otherwise I won't tip- it's that easy. However, apart from that, the food experience itself was good.

2  Thank irisg658
Write a reviewReviews (1,688)

Reviewed 10 July 2016

Very good food, nice music and the service was very friendly and nice from the beginning to the end. Must try king fish sashimi, spicy tuna with crispy rice and the the salmon toro.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

Been to Sake a few times and while the food is great (albeit pricey) the service is getting worse. During our last lunch, had to chase up with the waitstaff four times where our bottle of sake was. After the third enquiry they at least bought the glasses, it wasn't until after the fourth attempt the bottle actually turned up. For a high-end restaurant you would expect the staff to be a little more organized.

3  Thank Opie1602
Reviewed 9 July 2016

Ate at this restaurant 4 times over a week because I loved it. Great sushi, both the traditional sushi and the more inventive pieces (tuna ceviche, etc). Service was friendly and helpful. I tried just about every meal on the menu, I would recommend basically all the sushi, the new sashimi plate, and the tuna ceviche.

1  Thank intheatl
Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

I'm not a big fan of Japanese food but I must say, Sake was great all round. Loved the food, the service was good and the atmosphere is great. Great choice to celebrate my mans birthday.

Date of visit: December 2015