“Disappointed”
Review of Emmilou - CLOSED

Emmilou
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Contemporary, Australian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Surry Hills
Description: Since opening in 2007, Emmilou has earned a reputation for exceptional tapas and cocktails, wonderful music and a distinctly European atmosphere.With a passion forged by five years in some of Spain’s leading kitchens, owner Chris Cranswick-Smith has crafted an authentic menu of modern Spanish tapas that combine international expertise with fresh, local produce.The same assurance is reflected in one of Sydney’s most seductive cocktails lists, where contemporary mixed drinks take their place next to time-honoured classics.
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Have dined here a couple of times and it just doesn't hit the mark. Last visit will be my last, it's not cheap and the food it just not great. It also seems to be confused about being a quality food tapas joint or a bar for music and dudes getting tanked, the night we were there was also a group of young very high peeps at the bar, with music pumping. Doesn't really augment the dining experience. On top of all that, they double charged my credit card.

Positives were the service, attentive and informative, good wine list and beer selection, and cosy, outdoor seating (kind of on a street level balcony). Go here for pre or post dinner drinks - it's fun - but forget the food.

• Visited January 2013

Perth, Australia
“Excellent all round!”
Reviewed 1 February 2013

A night in Sydney gave us a chance to visit this little gem and I'm so glad we chose them over the many restaurants in the area. We were immediately seen to by a young waiter who was incredibly passionate and really knew his stuff, he chatted us through the menu aswell as some excellent specials before leaving us to it. We shared a beautiful bottle of reasonably priced spanish albarino which coupled with some amazing seafood dishes ( ceviche kingfish, half shell scallops and crumbed prawns are must tries) made for an excellent dinner. Looking forward to our next visit to Sydney so we can visit again!

• Visited January 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Love the vibe at this funky bar”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Astouding cocktails - the barman was great - really knew his stuff. We had dinner elsewhere and went there for late night drinks and had a really fun night and apparently the food is also great so we'll be back!

Visited January 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Arrogrant and rude staff.”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Bought a group buy deal and called to make a reservation with them. Guy on the phone at emmilou asks if I have a voucher, and I say yes. He says, can you get it and read out the instructions on the back for him. My computer was running really slowly and I ask him if I could call him back so I can give him the voucher number or whatever he was looking for. He says, no no, I’ll wait, please read out the instructions on the back of the voucher. My computer was still going really slow so I say thanks for waiting but I’ll call back once I have the voucher out. I hang up and I finally get it opened -turns out they want me to book online. So, in that 5 minutes when that guy was ‘patiently’ waiting for me, he was actually being arrogant. I called him back and asked if it was really necessary for him to get me to open the voucher and read him out the instructions, even though he decided to WAIT FOR ME ON THE PHONE, when he knew that I needed to go online anyway and refused to take my booking on the phone. Why couldn’t he have told me earlier? He then said he did this so he didn’t have to waste time taking resverations for group buy vouchers. In this case, emmilou, you just wasted your time waiting for me to open up my voucher when you could have just told me nicely to go online to make the booking. Where’s the logic in that? Good luck with your restaurant but I give you 5 more months before you close down as poor, inflexible service like that is not going to win you any new or returning customers.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Lizzymckenzie
“Admirable Ambiance”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Sat down last night for a mid week meal at the casual Emmilou. Atmosphere is great there as I'd often hoped when walking past this quaint tapas restaurant. Staff were knowledgeable, extremely friendly, ans service was excellent. Food was fantastic ans a perfect surrounding if you want to be in the thick of it, whilst not being too in the thick of it. Would definitely recommend.

• Visited October 2012