“Get the pork belly!”

Cuisines: Spanish, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Surry Hills
Description: Since opening in 2007, Emmilou has earned a reputation for exceptional tapas and cocktails, wonderful music and a distinctly European atmosphere.With a passion forged by five years in some of Spain’s leading kitchens, owner Chris Cranswick-Smith has crafted an authentic menu of modern Spanish tapas that combine international expertise with fresh, local produce.The same assurance is reflected in one of Sydney’s most seductive cocktails lists, where contemporary mixed drinks take their place next to time-honoured classics.
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Coolest little place. Good quality food .....but overpriced for the size of what you get. It's more cafe than fine dining. Pork belly was an exception. The best value is at the expensive end of the menu.

Unisex bathroom.

Customer service was outstanding and servers were extremely friendly.

Id go again but only with a discount voucher. Lucky there's plenty of those for this place around.

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

This place looks very attractive from outside. We were there early and so the service was good to begin with when it was quiet. The food was ok but overpriced for the quality, especially the paella. $50 for a shared plate with rubbery squid, disintegrated mussels and rice burnt to the bottom of the pan. The zucchini flowers were tasty. We quite enjoyed the place but left feeling we had been suckered into overpaying for very average food in a place that's pretending to be better than it is. I think it's more of a cocktail bar and should stick to that but seemed very popular. Our waiter was great but seemed to have to cover the whole place. Another guy who must be the owner or manager totally blanked me when I tried to ask him for the bill because the other guy was so busy. Bit of an attitude I think.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I love this place. The drinks list, the food, the laid back but still nice atmosphere, the friendly staff. Great for small groups of friends or romantic dinners.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

I have been to Emmilou a couple of times for dinner and cocktail making courses and everytime I have been, the staff have been super friendly and knowledgeable. This time my husband and I booked in for the 5 course tapas taster with matching cocktails. The two highlights of the meal were the zucchini flowers and the 16 hour slow cooked pork belly. The pork belly was absolutely divine, soft meat, crispy crackling and the pairing with nuts and berries was delicious! All the the matching cocktails were excellent too and matched each of the courses perfectly, which we were really surprised about. The raspberry and mint cocktail would have to have been my favourite. Our meal was an absolute treat and exactly what I wanted for my birthday and the vibe of this little restaurant is always great. It's a relaxed restaurant with great cocktails, quality food and great tunes :)

Reviewed 6 February 2013

Have dined here a couple of times and it just doesn't hit the mark. Last visit will be my last, it's not cheap and the food it just not great. It also seems to be confused about being a quality food tapas joint or a bar for music and dudes getting tanked, the night we were there was also a group of young very high peeps at the bar, with music pumping. Doesn't really augment the dining experience. On top of all that, they double charged my credit card.

Positives were the service, attentive and informative, good wine list and beer selection, and cosy, outdoor seating (kind of on a street level balcony). Go here for pre or post dinner drinks - it's fun - but forget the food.