“Pick somewhere else.”

Ranked #55 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Cairns
“Pick somewhere else.”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We only needed somewhere to sleep the night so opted for a hostel, 4 beds per dorm. Sounded like a plan. The website states free pick up from the airport, ha only if you stay more than one night. So we ended up wasting over an hour at the airport waiting for a pick up that didnt come. We get there eventually pay our money get our key and cant get into our room. Back down the stairs, new key we then get into our room, top bunks. There is a guy snoring in one bottom bunk, and has all his gear all over the room. The lockers dont work cant lock them which is a worry staying at a backpackers. Thats ok we lock our stuff up in my suitcase. We spent the rest of the day exploring the city having a drink and some dinner. Back to the hostel, have a shower in a very disgusting bathroom, no toilet paper. We decide its bed time so off we go, well Mr Snorer comes in and out of the room for most of the night. The other tenant plays with her locker all night and her phone continually goes off. A good nights sleep we think not. Dont do it, pay the extra bucks and get a decent room. Never again. This is the worst place I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mollymoo_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

It's god-aweful. By far the dirtiest backpackers I've been to. It's just filthy.

Where do I begin? The rooms and hallways have a heavy, musky smell. The walls are scarred with scrapes and scratches. The showers promise athlete's foot at the very least, the toilets are wet and dirty, and sinks are grotty with hair. Kitchen also features dirty dishes and crumbs. In my bedroom are two windows and one curtain, which covers the one window that doesn't close. I realise some of the fault lies with the grubby guests, but jaysus this place could do with some TLC.

It's best feature is that it's situated on Pitt Street in China town, so there is a good vibe here especially on a Saturday night.

If you can afford it, go elsewhere. .

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Gosney

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in a private room over the Australia Day weekend. The hostel is upstairs from the Chamberlain Hotel. I was initially worried it would be loud at night but actually was surprisingly quiet. Maybe there were not many guests staying. The room was basic but tidy and as clean as you'd expect for a hostel. The sheets were nice and clean and the bed was comfortable enough to get a good rest. There is no air-con but a pedestal fan was included in the room, as was an old TV (but I didn't turn it on). Bathroom and laundry seemed nice and clean. There is a lot of mould on the ceiling, but that's no issue. The tiles are clean and fresh looking. Hot water was a bit slow to arrive through the taps, but once it started was ok. The room seemed very secure with keycard access. The lobby and common room are both very small and unappealing. The MAIN limitation staying here are the stairs... I had heavy luggage and was in a room on the top floor (3 long flights of narrow and steep stairs) so struggled a bit. However, on my first night, one of the staff came out and offered to help me even though she wasn't on shift. That was really nice. The front desk is open 8am-11pm, and I was charged $20 late arrival because I was fifteen minutes late. This isn't specified in the booking and probably should be. Also, I had to leave before 8am and therefore was not able to get my $10 keycard refund. Apart from that, location is very handy and there are plenty of shops/bars surrounding the area. All the girls that were working there were also really cute. Just saying.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Ged M
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2012

“Clean Hostel”, Pitt Street, Sydney

If you’re going to name yourself as a clean hostel then there’s going to be some pressure to live up to it, and basically they do. The bathrooms are clean enough that you don’t live in fear of contracting something communicable & nasty when walking bare-foot. The showers are free of mouldy-things and the only problems come, as with any of these places, from the occasional poor-hygiene of some of the people staying.
The hallways get vaccuumed most week-days. However, the individual rooms don’t and I never did work out (after 8 days) when, or how, to get the sheets and/or towels replaced. And a small hint to Clean Hostel, those shower-curtains do need to be washed in some anti-fungal cleaner occasionally.

The staff are cool, friendly and enjoy what they’re doing. I complained that the fridge in my room needed cleaning and offered to do it myself to get the milk I just bought in it before it became undrinkable. I was offered another room, which I declined, so they came up to do it, with it being no issue, no problem.

Wi-fi isn’t available in the rooms, only in the ‘common room’, on the floor above the ground floor. That’s no big deal but the common room is small and needs a clean from the power point covers upwards. As well, it lacks enough power points if more than two people are on their laptops and as it has a television in there, someone will always want it on, and having ‘Big Brother’ going is torture anywhere.
The common room closes at 11pm and opens again at 8am, but you can still pick up a wireless connection outside those times if you sit on the steps outside the room. Not ideal but necessary if you’ve some urgent emails to send at midnight.

Every room has a television. However, they are all CRT-jobs with rabbit-ear aerials that don’t attach anywhere and even if they did, you’ll not get much of a picture. For me, that’s fine as I don’t watch television although I do watch streamed programs via the internet, which is a problem as I can only do that from the common room.

The rooms also only have overhead lighting which can be depressing. All that’s needed is a cheap table lamp. If the YHAs can do it, and they normally bolt anything movable down, then this place could do it as well. A minor whinge.
To counter this, the doors have glass panes above them and as the hallway lights are on all night then there’s light in the rooms all night. Fine enough if you’re on the bottom of a double bunk bed but not if you’re on the top bunk. If it's a problem, easy enough to cover it with something. I didn't bother.

There was a problem with the showers for the first few days here with no hot-water. I was on the top floor (the second level up three flights of stairs). And after this was fixed you still get them going quite quickly from cold to warm to hot. But it did get fixed and you can get decent showers, better the lower down the building you go.

And running out of toilet paper is entirely unnecessary as there are two large dispensers. If one is empty you’d expect the other to have some paper. Another minor whinge. And unlike other places you can’t wait for someone to come in and pass some under the door because each lavatory/shower unit is private, which is a good feature, rather than most communal bathrooms.

It’s also next to a building site that starts typically on week-days at 6:30am and finishes by 4:pm or so. And it is noisy, mostly from the overhead crane.

It has a good location on the corner of Campbell & Pitt streets with a Coles supermarket just up the road and lots of ‘convenience’ stores nearby.
It’s lively at night – pleasantly so – and when the building work isn’t going on has just the normal sounds of a city.

I decided to stay longer than the 8 days I had originally booked for. I knew from downstairs and from the internet booking agent that there were rooms available and as it’s cheaper to book via the booking agent than off-the-street, I put in a booking, only to get an email back the next day to say it was declined. This is either a problem with the way the hostel runs it’s part of the online agent or an attempt to get more from walk-ins. If the latter, then I’m not impressed by it. Either they put their rates up online or set the bookings to unavailable.

And yes, the stairways are steep but no worse than a lot of other places, notably the buildings in Brighton in England which it reminded me of.

The place has character. The staircase & banisters must be from the old pub underneath and are quite nice.

Yes, I’d probably come back. At the right price and when the building opposite is finished.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Pretty close to the Central rail station, it is on the edge of Chinatown so handy for restaurants etc. Has no elevator so tough one if you have heavy gear. Has card opening doors, small but clean communal kitchen and laundry and lounge, shared toilets and showers were a-ok. Basically the room I had needed a paint, bit of water damage and on the South side it was a bit cold in May. TV, fridge, comfy bunk bed. Reasonable price for Sydney.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 May 2012

An abominable hovel that obviously hasn't been cleaned since before the white men came. The grime-stained walls encrusted with unknowable substances made me think I was living in a flaccid Lovecraft novel. I'm fairly sure some peasant took a flop by the bed in my room, but the effort made to clean it was so half-hearted they might as well have just politely asked it to leave.

Elsewhere, there are tales of bed bugs, roaches, scabies and floors paved with condom wrappers. For God's sake, go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family