Bounce Sydney
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)
US$171
  • Pool
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$139
US$230
US$208
US$122
  • Pool
All reviewscentral stationrooftop terracemovie roombig lockersbed female dormbig kitchentv areaprivate bathroomcommon areaspower socketscommon roomkey cardtop floorgreat facilitiesbed roomstayed here for a weekfree wifi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Don't be fooled by the potentially misleading advertising; Bounce more closely resembles a youth hostel. Think boorish, drunken 19 year old men, reluctant service and ceaseless, hateful noise, (including from a mysterious, but apparently proximate karaoke. Truly, the levels of noise that travel into the rooms is astounding). Unlike many hostels however, Bounce does not represent value for money; no, no, no. We stayed in a private room, and paid far, far too much for it. The set-up was poorly thought through ( for example, no cupboard in which to hang your clothes? Weird), and way too spartan for the price paid. Bounce is a really poor choice, particularly if you are looking for a private room. In summary: Bounce is less like a "hotel", and more like an expensive, waterproof spot where, in the company of inebriated strangers, you can pretend to sleep. Woeful.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mmw092
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Went to my room for bed at about 2230pm only to find the sheets hadn't been changed,the bed was filthy to say the list. Asked reception to have bed sorted and they refered me to the "house cleaning girl " who was nasty , refused to do it and asked me to change the bed myself. Sent me back to reception with a pile of linen, the woman at the reception sent me back to the "house cleaning girl" After I demanded a refund, only was my bed changed albeit crudely.

I wonder if the owners of this place know this is happening. Hopefully this is an isolated incident.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2011

NOT CLEAN
The place itself is nice, but it looks like a playground for brainless young australians.
This is not a place for travellers.
I forgot my Hard Drive on my bed when I left. I came back 3 hours later and it was already cleaned. Nobody gave my forgotten Hard Drive. They called the people who clean the place, actually they don´t clean, they pretend it, but if they found something interesting on your bed, they will clean, for sure.
I will never, ever, come back to this place and I dont recomend it.
I am a professional traveller and potographer, travelling for more than 20 years, non stop.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
BounceHotel, Manager at Bounce Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2011

It is unfortunate that this experience ended with the loss of guest's property, however Bounce Hotel takes no responsibility for lost property. Our staff members were empathetic to the loss, the appropriate action was taken and both the Housekeeping Supervisor and a senior member of our Reception team assisted in looking for the lost item.

Bounce Hotel recommends the use of the lockers provided in the dormitory rooms to avoid the theft of valuables. In the event that guests don’t have a lock to secure the lockers, we offer several different locks that are available for purchase or hire. Unfortunately when any personal items are left on a bed in a dormitory room for 3 hours, many people have access to those items. It would be unfair to accuse the Housekeeping staff of any involvement in the loss of the item in question as there is simply no proof the staff had anything to do with it.

In reference to the high number of australian guests at our property during the stay; the period in question was during the 2011 Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras festival. This event attracts a high number of both international and local guests, many who travel from interstate to attend the Mardi Gras festivities. We welcome both our local and international guests and during local festivals a higher number of Australian guests can be expected.

Having not received a cleaning complaint during the stay, it is hard for me to address a specific cleanliness issue that was experienced. Any cleanliness / housekeeping issues are best raised at the time so they can be addressed and rectified.

Kind Regards,

Vin Kebblewhite
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 3 March 2011

Bounce Hotel is located right next to the Central train station, about 3 minutes walk up the road. When you come out through the ticket gates, turn right and exit onto Chalmers Road. It shouldn't be too hard to miss - the hotel is across from one of the platforms (the one you arrive from the airport on).

I stayed first night in a 7-share female only room with "ensuite" bathroom. However, I discovered the bathroom is not inside the room, but instead outside across the door. The bathroom is accessible only by the girls staying in our room though. I find that for 7 girls, the bathroom is really small, and there's hardly any room to keep the toiletries of 7 different girls, nor get dressed inside. We ended up having to carry our toiletries, clothes and towels back and forth, and needing to tap our key cards every time we need to open the bedroom or bathroom doors.

On the next 3 nights I could get a 4-share female only room with "ensuite" bathroom. Basically, the same issue - bathroom was outside the bedroom, and needed to be accessed by a key card. However, for the 4-share room, the bathroom is MUCH bigger, and with only 4 girls sharing it, you could leave some of your toiletries in it. Lots of area to get dressed inside. The only problem was having to bring your key card with you all the time even for a quick bathroom break. Luckily I had a lanyard with me and kept the card in it to wear around my neck so I don't forget it.

The beds in the 7-share are 3 bunk beds + 1 single bed. The ones in the 4-share are 2 single beds and 1 bunk bed. So basically if you take the 4-share you're less likely to end up with an upper bunk bed if that's something you want to take into consideration. The beds are quite comfortable, and the quilts provide are extremely warm and snuggly, I loved the quilts. However the pillows are a bit flat and you only get 1 to a bed.

The lockers are also much bigger in the 4-share room, and having two electrical outlets inside the lockers is really handy because you can charge your electronic devices while you sleep and not worry about them being stolen.

Here are some of the things I know about the place:

You need a padlock for the locker, get one with a big loop because I had one with a narrow loop and it couldn't fit through so I had to buy another lock for 7AUD.

On the third level is the laundry room. One wash cycle is 3AUD, and the dryer is also 3AUD for a cycle. They also sell small packets of laundry detergent for 2AUD each at the reception.

There are some computers on both the ground floor and the third floor as far as I know. The internet charges are 3AUD for an hour, 7AUD for 3 hours, or 15AUD for 24hours, and you can either use the computers or the wi-fi service. I don't know why people complained that the wifi service is slow - I found it to be suitable for normal internet browsing.

There is a tv/movie area on the first level, which looks extremely nice and comfortable, and movies you can rent from the reception.

If you need towels, you can rent one for 14AUD, and get back 10AUD when you return it at check-out. I personally recommend bringing your own towel, at least you can be sure it's clean.

I went to the female shared bathroom once because someone was already using our "ensuite" one and found people queuing up for the shower. Wake up early if you don't want to be stuck in the queue.

There is a convenience store about 3 doors down the road. You can get some toiletries and snacks/drinks there.

For the whole time that I was there - 4 nights - I did not see the trash bin in our room being cleared at all. On the 2nd day 2 girls checked out and left behind a whole pile of trash by the bin, which was really small, and by the time I checked out, the same pile of trash was still there. I informed the reception on the 4th day asking them to clear it, but they did not do anything about it. The bathroom was cleaned once, on Sunday, so most likely they do cleaning once a week.

There seemed to be nightly events going on at the bar linked to the hotel, but thankfully they don't go too late into the night, so even though it could get a bit noisy, it's not likely to affect you from having a good rest. The service from the staff was standard, they answer your questions and get you the towels/wifi service when required, nothing outstanding.

Overall, I still enjoyed my stay at Bounce Hotel, but I would only want to take the 4-share ensuite room if I do.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2011

we stayed there for one night in a 8 bed dorm. It looks like the pillows were already used and never washed before, bed was dirty and there were glasses with beer from the other guys in the room. The kitchen was dirty/stinky, there were dirty plates in the cupboard, and so on.
For us it seems like they never cleaned up the furniture on the terrace since they have opened the hostel.
The most of the guest behave like they are not travelling with there parents for the first time and dont have to care about anything...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple