“Booked in for one week and stayed for seven months :O :O”
Review of Jackaroo Hostel

Jackaroo Hostel
Ranked #30 of 150 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 24 May 2012

The Jackaroo Hostel has made my experience in Australia full of amazing and extremely happy memories. I originally booked in for one week to settle myself, intending to find myself an apartment! Instead I made so many friends, that I ended up staying for 7 months. The owners Rob and Jade are like my surrogate Dad's (don't think they like this title!) and always made me feel welcome. Everything rocks about this place, you won't find any better! Now I have a Jackaroo family and many Jackaroo reunions to occur all over the globe =)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank anna-banana12

Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed here last summer & it was without a doubt the best place we stayed on our travels through oz.

Location is great, walking distance to opera house etc but in kings cross so plenty going on in the evenings. Good kitchen and great lounge with internet, table football, pool etc all FREE.

The best thing about the hostel is the atmosphere, everyone is really friendly & there are events each night where everyone goes out as a group, including free wine tasting!

Couldn't recommend enough, would go back here in an instant!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emma D
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed at Jackaroo for 10 nights over Christmas and New Year. Got ourselves a double room ensuite. No complaints whatsoever. Lots of events happening day and night. Good location in our opinion, we like walking so it didn't matter that it was in King's Cross, infact i think it added to the experience! I have nothing but fond memories of this place, we met some amazing people and the two brothers were so helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nuzzlemonkey
Reviewed 23 March 2012

good kitchen facilities, great fridges but the place was seriously hot as apparently the aircon had gone down and the health and safety nuts had banned the windows being opened, so kind of spoilt the place as very uncomfortable.
Really friendly staff who knew there stuff and gave really helpful and accurate advise on what to do and where to go in our short stay in Sydney, common rooms were roomy (and cooled by great big fans maybe needed bigger ones as still very hot and sweaty! good quality computers also good WIFI

Room Tip: get aircon working!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris P
jackaroohostel, Owner at Jackaroo Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Hi,
Thanks for staying with us. Great to hear you enjoyed our facilities and our free internet and wifi. We are very sorry about the Aircon, unfortunately there was a leak with the aircon unit and it had to be turned off for 3 days to reseal the unit properly. Thankfully it is all fixed and now up and working fine.
We hope to see you again in our nicely cooled hostel.
Thanks and safe travels.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

This hostel was great! The staff were really friendly. They gave us some excellent recommendations of things to do in our short stay in Sydney, really helped us make the most of it. The hostel was really nicely spaced out, with some large common areas and there was a large dvd collection and good quality computers for us to use.. and it was a super bonus that the internet and wifi is free to use...All the facilities are so clean and they really take care of everything in there. The is a good atmosphere with great activities each night that allowed you to meet other travelers. You could easily come here solo and have a blast. Great rooms, super clean. Its right next door to the train station so its super easy to get everywhere as well..I would definitely return again...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2012

After arriving in Sydney just after new year, my friends and I were advised to check out the Jackaroo hostel... needless to say, we weren't disappointed!
As soon as we turned up we were welcomed by very friendly staff, who were helpful and willing to answer any questions and point us in the right direction!
There is a free BBQ / pizza on Tuesday nights (which always helps on a budget), and there is usually something going on most nights.
It is very modern, clean and a great atmosphere. Rob and Jade (Owners) have definitely got it right!.. There is no doubt I'll be back there when I return to Sydney!

Room Tip: The guys are very good if you are in a group and can usually cater for you and get you all together.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Overall, I thought this was a nice hostel. Lots of rooms, everything I saw was clean, and they had free wifi, which is fairly uncommon in this area. The Kings Cross neighborhood was a little seedy, but I felt safe walking around on my own. Rates were very reasonable for Sydney. I agree with a previous reviewer that many of the long stay guests were a bit cliquey, but they were not unfriendly. I found the staff to be very helpful and easygoing - one of the owners was even kind enough to carry my VERY heavy suitcase up the (seemingly millions of) stairs to my room.

My only complaint was that they advertise air conditioning in all the rooms, but at the time I stayed, it was broken and the room was quite stuffy and warm. Had the temperature been more comfortable, I would have gladly rated this hostel as 4 stars.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Barbie567

Hi,
Thanks for the review and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. The free internet and wifi is always a hit. Kings Cross does have some interesting characters though its expected with the bars and clubs located nearby. We encourage all guests to get involved in the daily events and activities as its a great time to meet people. There are a few stairs so we are happy to carry the bags for any of our guests, it definately keeps us fit..The entire building is air conditioned and is now all fixed and working properly, we had a few small issues recently but they have all been resolved.
Thanks again and safe travels.