“Good location”
Review of Jackaroo Hostel

Jackaroo Hostel
Ranked #27 of 143 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Jackaroo hostel is really easy to find, Stop at King Cross Station, exit to king cross road, and you will find a signboard to jackaroo hostel. That what i like the most about this hostel.
The bathroom is very clean, the bed is comfortable, staff also helpful. Thanks for the free flow wine :) i will came back again for my next trip!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I don't understand why this hostel received so many good recommendations! Maybe it means that the average Australian hostel is even worse. Maybe I've been spoilt by all the wonderful hostels in New Zealand, but this hostel was quite appaling! The double room I had was dirty, didn't even have a hook to hang your clothes, the linen was dirty and when I asked for fresh linen to change it myself they didn't even have a spare duvet cover. The "mattress" was so bad that I'd probably been better off sleeping on the floor (had it not been so dirty) and the only light switch was next to the door, so you had to stumble to your bed in the dark.
It was extremely noisy until 4am in the morning on the weekends and noone cared. Yes, I do know it's a hostel and not a hotel, but I've never had such a bad experience in NZ!
In the showers, which I grant were spacious, the u-bend of the sink was leaking and if you tried to open the tap it would come off the sink.
There was no proper common room and you have to be aware that kitchen and dining room are downstairs without daylight.
They did have a snooker table though, which I think is a great idea. However, it was in a separate, very uncomfortable room.
I had read that they organise activities to get to know people, but was disappointed to find out that these only consisted of "let's go to 4 bars and get drunk, this is the only way to be".
Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jadzia S
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This backpackers is so nice, I could stay here forever. Staff were friendly, facilities are clean and breakfast is free (and good enough). Bathrooms ok. Other guests all very nice so I had a great time there. Hope to come back one day.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mika K
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

This hostel made my trip! Is awesome, friendly, and the staff is great! Also the free wifi, free breakfast, tv room and playstation make the difference!

Jade, Raquel And Rob you legends! Gonz one of the best! And what to say about Justin! Just an awesome dude!
I became friends with all of you and didnt miss home thanks to you guys! See u guys in Argentina!!!

Gorilla.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The staff at the Jackaroo Hostel were full of helpful ideas to fill our time in Sydney and were willing to answer all of our pesky touristy questions. The kitchen and common areas were all very clean and organized. The bathrooms may have needed a bit of a once over but were also pretty clean. Free WIFI that actually works well and everything is locked up well at night. Free wine on Friday was a lot of fun. Free breakfast from 8a-10a was also helpful to maintaining our budget during our stay. Would definitely recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Madison D
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed here for seven consecutive nights very recently and had an enjoyable stay overall. The hostel has a number of positive points including;

- Excellent WIFI availability and signal quality
- Good security lockers downstairs, and things felt safe in the dorms
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Clean showers with warm running water
- Excellent breakfast
- Good kitchen facility
- Free wine Friday

The only things which stopped me giving the place a five were that reception was closed between midnight and 8am, which was issue if I needed to access my security locker between these times which is why I changed hostels the final night before I flew out of Sydney. Also, breakfast was served between 8am and 10am which meant I missed it on days where I had to be out before this time to go on a tour.

I did get the feeling this was possibly better suited to long-termers instead of solo backpackers, but I met plenty of people and conversed with them - you will struggle to find a better value for money hostel in Kings Cross, I would recommend the place highly.

Overall, this was a good hostel and I've not heard of any

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jonathan M
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I landed here on my birthday alone. With in days of being here I found a job. They helped me with everything.

Jade is a Leg End. Such a nice guy. But so is every other person that works for him.
Gonzo has the best music taste by miles.
Sort stay is good, but you will feel at home here within the week.
I had a few party nights, but more than enough early starts to. People are very respectful of workers.
Kitchen toilets and bedrooms are spotless.

Book early as it fills up fast.
1st choice everytime.

Thanks for a great time lads.

Thanks Jackaroo you know ill be back for Fridays fun.

• Stayed: March 2014