“Please Assign Bed to the Guest and not let Guests Snatch beds that were already Occupied.”
Review of Jackaroo Hostel

Jackaroo Hostel
Ranked #27 of 145 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I had a bad experience staying at this hostel last October, not totally due to the hostel’s fault but mainly the roommate’s.

I stayed in an all-female with private toilet 4-bed room. My room is the only room with window, and hence there is no fan in the room. My roommate decided to open the window as it was too hot, which ended up attracting cockroach into the room in the first night. The basin in the toilet was pathetically small, and I could not even brush my teeth properly without making the floor wet.

On my second day while I was out exploring the city, a new and super inconsiderate new roommate (a 30 year old Vietnamese who stays in UK) decided to take my bed that I was sleeping on the night before, when clearly I had my things left on the bed and my nice roommate kept telling her that someone was sleeping on that bed. I can’t believe that a 30 year old lady is acting like an 18 year old kid.

In the middle of the second night, she kept going in and out of the toilet while preparing to go out, and not making any effort to reduce the noises that she made.

On the third morning, I found that she had left her soaked wet underwear on the pathetically small basin. Then, she wore another roommate’s slippers out without informing her, and when being questioned, she said that she thought that that was the slippers provided by the hostel. What a lame excuse for not admitting her mistake. Do you think a hostel will provide free Havaianas slippers for you?

Anyway, the hostel’s free breakfast was quite bad. They only have cereal and very dry bread. The kitchen was dirty too.

Overall, I would suggest to the hostel to assign the bed to the people instead of letting them to choose which bed they should sleep in. That way, there will not be cases that some people are snatching the bed is already occupied.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Jackaroo_KX, Owner at Jackaroo Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hi

Thanks for your review. All our rooms have air-conditioning which can be adjusted by us, it can be hard to get the right temperature for everyone, with so many people being from many parts of the world. If you would have asked we would certainly have adjusted this for you.

We encourage our guests to make us aware of any issues that they may have. There are certain things we have control over, however, people's attitude is something we can't control. Rude people annoy us all. We apologise that you were unlucky to be placed in a room with this lady.

In regards to the breakfast, we have 5 different types of cereal, white bread, wholemeal bread, tea, coffee, 5 different types of spread, skimmed and full milk. Many guests love our breakfast, we are sorry you didn't enjoy our free breakfast.

With the bed issue, we are an 18-30 hostel so guests normally have no issues with occupied beds getting taken. I think this is not an issue with the hostel but the inconsiderate guest you had you in your room.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Noisy during weekend. Made up yr mind if you are not a teenager. A bit far from George street and central area but next to bar and pub surrounding. Free wifi which is pretty cool comparing to other hostel.

Room Tip: room in front side is a bit bigger
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Hi,

The hostel is located in Kings Cross, which is the entertainment district of Sydney. The hostel has many quiet areas and rooms, we encourage guests to inform us of any issues so that we can resolve them. Some guests are not as considerate as others so may have made some noise when coming in. We do have a night manager on duty who patrols the hallways to keep this to a minimum.

We are glad you enjoyed the free Wifi and hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at jackaroo hostel in kings cross after spending a few nights at their hostel in mission beach. Both very different hostels but both just as great in their own way. These guys have covered almost everything and know their stuff. From the moment you arrive they are super friendly, and always willing to help and answer any questions. They are staff constantly cleaning which is a huge bonus as the hostel is always clean. The free wifi and free breakfast is a great bonus. The hostel just has a nice friendly atmosphere and u always feel comfortable there. Would definately recommend this place for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Jackaroo hostel is really easy to find, Stop at King Cross Station, exit to king cross road, and you will find a signboard to jackaroo hostel. That what i like the most about this hostel.
The bathroom is very clean, the bed is comfortable, staff also helpful. Thanks for the free flow wine :) i will came back again for my next trip!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I don't understand why this hostel received so many good recommendations! Maybe it means that the average Australian hostel is even worse. Maybe I've been spoilt by all the wonderful hostels in New Zealand, but this hostel was quite appaling! The double room I had was dirty, didn't even have a hook to hang your clothes, the linen was dirty and when I asked for fresh linen to change it myself they didn't even have a spare duvet cover. The "mattress" was so bad that I'd probably been better off sleeping on the floor (had it not been so dirty) and the only light switch was next to the door, so you had to stumble to your bed in the dark.
It was extremely noisy until 4am in the morning on the weekends and noone cared. Yes, I do know it's a hostel and not a hotel, but I've never had such a bad experience in NZ!
In the showers, which I grant were spacious, the u-bend of the sink was leaking and if you tried to open the tap it would come off the sink.
There was no proper common room and you have to be aware that kitchen and dining room are downstairs without daylight.
They did have a snooker table though, which I think is a great idea. However, it was in a separate, very uncomfortable room.
I had read that they organise activities to get to know people, but was disappointed to find out that these only consisted of "let's go to 4 bars and get drunk, this is the only way to be".
Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jadzia S
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This backpackers is so nice, I could stay here forever. Staff were friendly, facilities are clean and breakfast is free (and good enough). Bathrooms ok. Other guests all very nice so I had a great time there. Hope to come back one day.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mika K
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

This hostel made my trip! Is awesome, friendly, and the staff is great! Also the free wifi, free breakfast, tv room and playstation make the difference!

Jade, Raquel And Rob you legends! Gonz one of the best! And what to say about Justin! Just an awesome dude!
I became friends with all of you and didnt miss home thanks to you guys! See u guys in Argentina!!!

Gorilla.