“Happy San Francisco couple!”

The Bayswater Sydney
Ranked #83 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Great location. Right in Kings Cross and near most attractions by bus, cab, tour buses, which all stop right in front of hotel. Guests are mostly young, but we 76 year olds really enjoyed their company...plus there are about 10 steps from the sidewalk to the lobby and we never had to carry our luggage, always helped by fellow guests or hotel staff. Room was quiet, clean, small, and well equipped. Staff was knowledgeable and gave good advice. Rates were considerably less than comparable hotels. If we are ever able to go back to Sydney, we will stay at The Bayswater

Room Tip: Our room fronting on the interior space was very quiet.
2  Thank PapaElf
Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days last week. I had an executive suite on the 4th floor facing Bayswater Road. I was very happy with it. Before arrival, I was concerned about the location.

The area is dotted with shops, bars and restaurants. Its vibrant and noisy at night, but I felt SAFE!! Because at night when I walked back to the hotel from Kings Cross Station (about 2 minutes walk), the streets were still filled with people, security guards and police. I had no worry that I would be mugged or robbed. Previously I had the experience of staying at some other 5 star hotels downtown close to Hyde Park but I had to take taxis back to the hotel at night because the streets became very dark and quiet. It was too terrifying to walk after dark.

Its convenient. There is a supermarket round the corner. There are plenty of restaurants and takeaways in the vicinity. Outside the hotel are bus stops and taxi stand. I took an airport shuttle which stopped right in front of the hotel. A slight problem for me was to haul my luggage up the stairs (about 10 steps) to the reception. When I was checking in I found that the hotel could book a return shuttle to the airport for A$12. The fare I paid for the shuttle at the airport was A$36 to and from the hotel!

The room looked exactly the same as that advertised. Its bright, airy, spacious and clean. The noise from the traffic and nearby bars did not bother me. Keeping the windows closed and turning on air-conditioning was good enough to keep out the noise.

The king size bed was comfortable. The bathroom was of good size. The shower cubicle was big (there was no bathtub) and basic amenities such as shampoo and soap were provided. What I enjoyed most was the rain shower with ample and steady flow of hot water. Towels were white and clean. NO toothbrush, tooth paste, body cream and slippers were provided though.

There was a good supply of coffee and tea bags; and milk was stored in the fridge. I found an iron and ironing board in the closet but I did not use them. Yes, I had free wifi in the room too.

My sister had a basic double room facing the back. She had no complaints at all. Its tiny but adequate for her.

The hotel does not provide breakfast as it has no restaurant on site. However, I discovered on the last day that there is a small kitchenette on the ground floor. Its equipped with a microwave and a toaster to enable guests to make their own breakfast. Its like a small dining room with chairs and tables.

The staff were friendly and helpful. No doubt I will use it again next time I go to Sydney if the rate is good.

Room Tip: The executive suite is spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank A L
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Our stay at the Bayswater was one to remember. We got there in the peak of Saturday night so the street was pumping, noisy as expected but it was fine. We got upgraded to a king size room, it still smaller than expected but the bed was comfy and it was sufficient for a short stay. The bathroom was tiny but the shower was awesome! In the morning we found the Bayswater was in a great location with a mixture of cafes, bars, boutique shops and restaurants all in walking distance; this area was absolutely beautiful during the day. Overall I think the Bayswater was good for a short stay, the service was great and the staff were very accommodating.

2  Thank JarneeA
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Our stay at the hotel in King's Cross was excellent, the hotel is less than 5 minutes to the train station. The staff are attentive and willing to provide information on the area and city. Do not be afraid to stay in King's Cross. The street life is noisy, colourful with many restaurants to eat in at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Our room is at the front of the hotel which we appreciated as after a long day of touring it was fun...
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great little hotel, smaller rooms than expected but very comfortable, overall no complaints. Great location for nightlife right in the middle of kings cross but a about a half hour walk to the opera house, harbour bridge and darling harbour but worth the walk. Recently just changed to free wifi in the rooms, so much better! Reception helpful with local info, maps, points of interest etc. would defo stay again!

2  Thank Freshy91
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Check in was smooth with very helpful staff on the front desk. We'd booked a King Room which for Sydney was plenty large enough although lacking in overall storage space, particularly in the shower room.

We had a side/rear view in a quiet room on a high floor - just as we requested. If you're really looking for quiet altogether though, then stay away as from Wed through to Saturday night's crescendo, the area's bars and clubs seethe with young partygoers looking to enjoy the atmosphere.

This is definitely a lively area when the sun goes down and is simply the greatest for people-watching! (Try the World Bar across the road for a selection of speciality "Teas." It offers free wifi too, with good connection up until early evening.)

An assortment of restaurant and eateries are just a short walk from the hotel doorsteps with late night supermarkets closeby too. There's a small courtesy kitchen for guests to use on the main level in the hotel if you get peckish!

The very convenience of the location dictates that there is no on-site parking, but ask at reception for details on how to access their discounted parking rates for stays at the multi-storey carparks nearby. You can also park for a limited time on the streets. Check signs for length of stay allowed and whether you need to purchase a ticket or not.

Train services into Sydney are frequent and far cheaper than the UK and they run late. Even the Sydney Explorer Tour Bus stop is nearby and well worth the money too, but this is a day service only.

You can book your airport shuttle at reception for a pickup direct from the hotel for just Aus$12 the day before you leave. Simple.

Don't be put off by the hotel's proximity to Kings Cross which is further up at the main road junction and then along a little way. By day the area is perfectly safe and at night you need only choose to avoid going along that road a little way. The general atmosphere is more carnival than sleaze though in any case, so just chill.

This is a highly underrated hotel for the price. It's smart, comfortable and elegant with quality fittings throughout and in a great location which just happens to be close to a colourful neighbourhood. This is Sydney after all.

Room Tip: We requested our room choice well ahead of time and got exactly what we asked for. Bear in mind that...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank viviko
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We wanted lively and thats what we got - Loved it.
Spacious and comfortable room, no view, but we did NOT go for the view.
The location was ideal, with nice bars across the road and restaurants just a few metres away.
Metro station in the next street and explorer bus stop immediately outside the station too. We used both to get the the Harbour.
On the Saturday night the street outside the hotel is fenced off due to the volume of clubbers, people watching is a must :-)
DO NOT HIRE A CAR, city parking is extortionate to say the least. Even with hotel discount it cost $25 to park over night, we returned the car the very next day.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street if you want to sleep, but don't then complain about lack of view...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple