“Enjoyable stay at Baywater Hotel”

The Bayswater Sydney
Ranked #83 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The small double room is surprisingly great for couple. It is not too small and has lots of amenities provided which is a big plus (especially free WIFI). Most importantly, the price we paid was great value for money for 5 nights.

Overall, it is a great place to stay in Sydney as it is near Kings Cross station and the land tours we went on also do pick-ups and drop-offs in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 5th floor as there will be noise in the evening from the bars and clubs nearby...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank luketang84
Write a ReviewReviews (1,108)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is possibly on of the best value boutique stays I’ve experienced… It’s location is right in the centre of Kings Cross and a 1 minute walk to the train station. There’s an electric vibe, and the hotel is close to many bars, restaurants, and clubs. Our room was situated quite close to the back of the hotel, and there was only a tiny bit of noise when going to bed. At 1.30am, the noise completely died down because of the strict lockout laws. The service was okay, and it was a little frustration that housekeeping came to our door before 9am, when checkout was at 10. Other than that, I would glady stay here again! The room is only small, but the value is well worth it. The bathroom is tiny, so as a result, I would only recommend for 1-2 night stays. Other than that, the bed was EXTREMELY comfortable and the blockout blinds are great, hardly letting in any light.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the back of the building so that you are off the noisy street
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Georgia K
Reviewed 11 May 2014

*) Check-in: 14:00 - 23:30; Check-out: 08:00 - 10:00. You can get a late check-out on request at reception without any additional cost.
*) Located a short distance from Kings Cross station and Coles (Opening Hours: 7:00 AM to 22:00 PM)
*) From the hotel it is an easy two minutes to the train station. You can even haul your luggage till here from Kings Cross Station.
*) If you are coming via train, come out of Kings Cross Station taking the Darlinghurst exit on road, take a left, walk a couple of steps, cross the road and come outside Pie-Face, Subway and Coles, all three are almost side-by-side, then keep walking a couple of steps and you will reach Bayswater. Its practically at an angle of 90 degrees from Kings Cross Station.
*) If coming from Airport you will have to change lines at Central Station.
*) You'll have to pay attention not to miss its entrance, its not very evident, there are a couple of steps to reach the reception and the doormat says Sydney Lodges, pretty easy to miss.
*) There are a couple of computers in the reception area that you can use for free internet. When I asked can I bring my own device, they gave me a username and password for my exclusive use which I could use for my 2 day duration of stay (max download limit 1000 MB for two days) which was fine for me, I just wanted to talk on viber at home. The connection speed was good too.
*) Access to some of the rooms like 302 and 303 is via a couple of stairs, and the stairs and the entrance to the room are not well placed. Avoid these rooms if you are hauling luggage.
*) Noise is definitely a problem, random noises in the middle of night which I could not really trace as to where they were coming from.
*) No compliementary drinking bottled water is provided. So you will have to either buy your own or drink tap water. Btw, of all the bottled drinking water options, Coles has the cheapest option called Coles Spring Water, 600 ml bottle for AUD 0.99.
*) Only attached shower in the shower cubicle, not hand-held and no shower-cap was provided. So, ladies if there are days when you dont want a head-wash, carry your own shower-caps.
*) The smallest room I had seen in my entire life. There is not even enough place for two people to open their luggage. Not complaining, but just setting the expectations.
*) No views, at least none from my room.
*) In-room kettle & coffee/tea with mugs were provided, air-conditiong is there. Iron, Ironing board, hair dryer was also there in the room.
*) Security key pad access after a certain time at night. After 11 pm I think, you need to swipe your key to enter the building.
*) Plenty of brochures on tours and trips.
*) Room was daily cleaning.
*) Coles, Pie-face and Subway at a minute's walk on the same road. Coles is a poular chain of super-markets in Australia along with ALDI where you can go for your milk, food, bread, bottled water etc. The Subway also has vegetarian option, Veg Patty. A blessing!!!!!
*) Reception staff is very helpful and courteous.
*) Floor is carpeted.

For a detailed trip list feel free to visit http://sydneygoldcoastbrisbaneviasingapore.blogspot.com/

Room Tip: Access to some of the rooms like 302 and 303 is via a couple of stairs, and the stairs and the entra...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
9  Thank PurnimaJain
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed at Bayswater Sydney for two nights. The hotel is located 2 minutes from the Kings Cross Train Station. There are many bars, restaurants, strip clubs right outside the door of this hotel. Checking in took two minutes. The guy at the reception was very nice. My room was very clean. It had a hair dryer and iron in the room. The free WiFi also worked great in the room. My room was a little small, but I don't carry much luggage. If you were a couple staying in this room with very large amounts of luggage, you might find it difficult because of the size of the room. THis place was perfect for my needs as a solo traveler

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Great location. Right in Kings Cross and near most attractions by bus, cab, tour buses, which all stop right in front of hotel. Guests are mostly young, but we 76 year olds really enjoyed their company...plus there are about 10 steps from the sidewalk to the lobby and we never had to carry our luggage, always helped by fellow guests or hotel staff. Room was quiet, clean, small, and well equipped. Staff was knowledgeable and gave good advice. Rates were considerably less than comparable hotels. If we are ever able to go back to Sydney, we will stay at The Bayswater

Room Tip: Our room fronting on the interior space was very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PapaElf
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days last week. I had an executive suite on the 4th floor facing Bayswater Road. I was very happy with it. Before arrival, I was concerned about the location.

The area is dotted with shops, bars and restaurants. Its vibrant and noisy at night, but I felt SAFE!! Because at night when I walked back to the hotel from Kings Cross Station (about 2 minutes walk), the streets were still filled with people, security guards and police. I had no worry that I would be mugged or robbed. Previously I had the experience of staying at some other 5 star hotels downtown close to Hyde Park but I had to take taxis back to the hotel at night because the streets became very dark and quiet. It was too terrifying to walk after dark.

Its convenient. There is a supermarket round the corner. There are plenty of restaurants and takeaways in the vicinity. Outside the hotel are bus stops and taxi stand. I took an airport shuttle which stopped right in front of the hotel. A slight problem for me was to haul my luggage up the stairs (about 10 steps) to the reception. When I was checking in I found that the hotel could book a return shuttle to the airport for A$12. The fare I paid for the shuttle at the airport was A$36 to and from the hotel!

The room looked exactly the same as that advertised. Its bright, airy, spacious and clean. The noise from the traffic and nearby bars did not bother me. Keeping the windows closed and turning on air-conditioning was good enough to keep out the noise.

The king size bed was comfortable. The bathroom was of good size. The shower cubicle was big (there was no bathtub) and basic amenities such as shampoo and soap were provided. What I enjoyed most was the rain shower with ample and steady flow of hot water. Towels were white and clean. NO toothbrush, tooth paste, body cream and slippers were provided though.

There was a good supply of coffee and tea bags; and milk was stored in the fridge. I found an iron and ironing board in the closet but I did not use them. Yes, I had free wifi in the room too.

My sister had a basic double room facing the back. She had no complaints at all. Its tiny but adequate for her.

The hotel does not provide breakfast as it has no restaurant on site. However, I discovered on the last day that there is a small kitchenette on the ground floor. Its equipped with a microwave and a toaster to enable guests to make their own breakfast. Its like a small dining room with chairs and tables.

The staff were friendly and helpful. No doubt I will use it again next time I go to Sydney if the rate is good.

Room Tip: The executive suite is spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank A L
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Our stay at the Bayswater was one to remember. We got there in the peak of Saturday night so the street was pumping, noisy as expected but it was fine. We got upgraded to a king size room, it still smaller than expected but the bed was comfy and it was sufficient for a short stay. The bathroom was tiny but the shower was awesome! In the morning we found the Bayswater was in a great location with a mixture of cafes, bars, boutique shops and restaurants all in walking distance; this area was absolutely beautiful during the day. Overall I think the Bayswater was good for a short stay, the service was great and the staff were very accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple