“Good location but very noisy”
Review of Camperdown Suites

Camperdown Suites
Camperdown Suites
Ranked #135 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I advised the hotel in my booking that I am a light sleeper. Either the request was ignored, or all rooms are extremely noisy but I was barely able to sleep due to the intense traffic noise throughout the night. My room was on the first floor on Parramatta Road.
Apart from that I would have been very happy with my choice. The location was great for my purposes (very convenient to Sydney University), the front desk staff were helpful and the room and facilities were good.
Parking is at the other Quest property down the road but that worked fine for me.
I thought it was overpriced but I did book at the last minute.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lesl_10
There are newer reviews for Camperdown Suites

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We booked & paid for a Deluxe King Studio via booking.com, for 2 nights from 26/10/2013 to 28/10/2013 at a total cost of $478, so were very unimpressed with the problems we encountered during our stay.

The first issue occurred upon check-in. We arrived at approx 2pm to be informed that a gentleman with the same surname (different spelling) had already been checked into our room! The receptionist, realising her mistake, then phoned the other gentleman (who had left his room & was somewhere in the city) to inform him of the mix up. I overheard her tell him that she had made a mistake & he would be upgraded to a 1 bedroom apartment in their other property on Missenden Road. She also informed him she would pack up his belongings & deliver them to the other property. It was at this stage she informed me that parking was no longer available at this property (despite our booking stating it was) & we would have to park at the Missenden Rd property & walk our luggage to this property. To say we were unimpressed at this stage would be an understatement! The receptionist then proceeded to walk with us to our room & remove the other gentleman's belongings before allowing us in.

The next issue was the size & standard of our room/apartment. As we had stayed in this facility previously, we were expecting our Deluxe King Studio Apartment to be of a reasonable size. Not so! The room we were given was tiny with barely room for the bed. The kitchenette was also very small & contained a kettle, toaster & microwave. The entire size of our accommodation was smaller than many London hotel rooms! Because we had been given a much larger room on our previous visit, we enquired at reception whether we had the correct room. The response was a curt yes.

Problem No 3 surfaced when we returned to our room on Sunday afternoon, after being out most of the day, to discover our key card would not work. When we approached the receptionist to enquire as to the reason, she asked if we were staying another night! Apparently they had checked us out despite our booking for 2 nights. She let us in our room & left to sort out the key cards. As the room was extremely hot & we had no card to activate lights, air con etc, we opened the window a small amount to allow some air in. After some time the receptionist returned with our key cards so we attempted to turn on the air con, however all attempts failed to get it working. So .... Another trip to reception resulted in being told, quite curtly, that the air con would not work if the window was open, even a tiny amount. This could have been avoided with a simple notice on the air con control or window.

We also noted our room had not been cleaned at all on Sunday & when we queried this were told that no rooms are serviced on Sundays. Once again there was no notification of this anywhere in our room.

For the price they charge, the facilities & service are a bare 3 stars, not the self rated 4 stars they advertise. We also found the receptionist very uninterested & unfriendly. This is a very basic property with no on site parking. Save your dollars and stay elsewhere.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Betty B
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My Husband, Son and myself had to stay at the Camperdown appartments for 4 weeks, our son was in RPA having a very serious operation and we had to keep on extending our stay. The staff were wonderful and were able to keep us in our same room the whole time, they were veryp
polite and always asked "how is your son" anything we wanted they helped us with. It was very helpful to us that we could also have breakfast there. Thanks again to all the staff would certainly stay there again

Room Tip: ask for for a quiet room at the back
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jacki52
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I only stayed one night at the Camperdown Suites and was allowed an early (12pm) check-in which was appreciated. While mentioning the reception, I was glad to receive help getting an ironing board and iron to my room, while on the other hand I was quite surprised that a hotel that (I assume) targets business travelers does not have these facilities in their rooms.

In the end I spent little time in the room but appreciated it being neat and quite functional, although I had to look hard for free power outlets to charge my gadgets. I suppose the room would seem a bit cramped for a longer stay of say 4-5 days or more. The closeness to Parramatta Rd is both a blessing and curse: While public transport is excellent to the CBD and also hailing a taxi takes only a minute or two, the road is a source of never ending noise. I had a room essentially as far away as possible from Parra Rd facing one of the side streets and still had issues with the thousands of cars and trucks that pass this point. Sitting out on the small balcony did not feel appealing to me at all.

So, if you are prepared to trade some serenity for a smaller hotel bill, then I would recommend Camperdown Suites.

Major upside(s): Service and price.

Major downside: Noise from the road.

Interesting fact: There is an Android tablet to use in the room, which may have been of interest had I had time to play around with it.

Room Tip: Ask the reception for a room away from Parramatta Rd to get rid of noise, even if you are not very s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank viskari
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Stayed at the apartments for two nights mid week. My room was located on the first floor, which is actually the ground floor adjacent to the intersection of Parramatta Road and Lyons Road. This intersection is quite busy, especially at night with trucks, and is very noisy. The external noise problem is exacerbated by the internal noises of the plumbing (you can hear the toilets flushing on the second floor and when the showers are running) and the closing (slamming) of doors. It appears that the building was constructed for a commercial use but has been converted into aprtments.

The rooms are nicely fitted out with all the mod cons, hwoiver the room is on the small side.

The location is OK, with a 10 minute walk to the cosmopolitan Newtown high street. The cafe next door (Deus) is good for breakfasts.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2011

This hotel is actually part of the Quest group and they sent me down here despite the fact I had a booking for the Missenden Rd Quest apartments. Parking is further down the road and outdoors, which is a concern in this area. There are 2 irons to service the entire building and these are kept in the first floor laundry which is open from 8am to 8 pm. There is no rooom in the laundry to use an ironing board. see photo and draw your own conclusions.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mrgfrobinson
Reviewed 11 November 2011

These apartments are very close to Sydney University and RPA. The staff are friendly, the suites really comfortable. The lift was fast and quiet. The plates, cups etc were absolute minimum level. There is some traffic noise. They are really easy to get to using the bus (stops across the road on arrival) and train from the airport. City buses stop right next door very frequently and you can even buy tickets next door! Great cafe across the road.
Individual airconditioner unit means that you can choose the temp level.
Can walk to Annandale shops, cafes, postoffice, bookshop etc.

Room Tip: Perhaps further back from Parramatta road for more quiet
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo