“Not very helpful”

Meriton Suites Campbell Street, Sydney
Ranked #9 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I checked into the Meriton on Campbell Street on a wet and cold winter day. I was travelling with my children and was dumped at the front of the appartments by our taxi, Unfortunately no one was in the front of the Hotel to assist us with luggage. The front desk attendant didnt even move or acknoledge we were checking in, Once inside the receptist was extremely helpful to assist with checking us in. We arrived just before midday and were told the room would not be ready until later in the day, This was very annoying as I had young children and it was a miserable day outside. We managed to get into our room after a 2 hour wait. I won't be staying here again just doesn't have that 5 star service other well known brands have.

Room Tip: Stay at the Four Seasons or Marriott
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Mason B
Campbell Street M, Manager at Meriton Suites Campbell Street, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear Mason B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I apologise if your arrival to Meriton Campbell Street was not to your expectations. As a serviced apartment property, we do not provide a concierge service on our driveway. If you were expecting this, I can see that by it being a wet and cold winter day it would have added to your frustrations.

Although you were not able to have access to your room prior to our check-in time of 2pm, I am delighted that you found our receptionist extremely helpful during the check-in process. We do try to have give our guests access to their room if they arrive prior to 2pm, however unfortunately at busy or peak times this may not be possible.

Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

Booked a studio room based on reviews and recommendation from their phone staff and secretly hoped for an upgrade to a one bedroom as they do at world square and Pitt street

Requested a balcony room as per reservation agent recommendation.

Was abruptly told NO you have cheap rate already so we are not allowed, are you full tonight NO came the response your rate does not allow you to be placed on a higher floor you should have chosen a higher rate !

Well got the lowest floor available and heard traffic all night

Will I return, NO

• Stayed: May 2012
8  Thank CraigLp
Campbell Street M, Manager at Meriton Suites Campbell Street, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear CraigLp

Thank you for your feedback. I apologise that you did not enjoy their stay with us. Would you please contact us via 'tripadvisor@meriton.net.au' to further discuss.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed at the Meriton Campbell Street as a family for an event we attended in Sydney.

We booked 2 studio rooms, which were very clean and pleasant to stay in. the only negative I can think of is that one TV in one room was smaller and older in the other (But this is nitpicking just to find a negative aspect).

Staff were helpful but Tim - Duty Manager, who I communicated with regularly was fantastic! he was very helpful, he tried to do whatever he can to make our stay a comfortable one, and was calm, patient and friendly throughout.

Will definately stay again.

Room Tip: Be nice. Be patient.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Faith T
MSA-MGT, Manager at Meriton Suites Campbell Street, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Dear Faith T,

Thank you very much for your beautiful feedback. We're so pleased you had an enjoyable stay with your family, and that all your needs were catered for. We will be happy extending your praises to Tim, who is indeed all that you described.

Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

I had to stay 6 days in Sydney, first for a medical conference, then for a 2 day training course. Being a frequent business traveller I am used to the Hiltons, the Marriotts and the other luxury big chains, but after staying at the Meriton, why would you bother - especially if for a long stay.

I rented a one bedroom apartment for $210 a night and had a seperate bedroom and large living room. The apartment was near-brand new. The kitchen appliances were perfect and it looked like the oven had never been used. Why would you use an oven when within 2 minutes of stepping outside you are sorrounded by dozens of restaurants. There is a Coles about 5 min walk up George St at World Tower Centre, which also has a liquor store.

Check in was efficient, the staff professional and courteous. You won't get the same degree of sucking up as you get when you check into say Hilton, but no complaints.

The apartment near brand new, the building, elevators all clean tidy and well set out and nice to stay in. I was on the 23rd floor and had a balcony with a partially obstructed view looking south, which wasn't bad.

What especially impressed: while there is a full laundry in the apartment it did not have a drying rack. At 845am I called front desk to ask for one. I was told by the attendant 'housekeeping is not in until 9am but we'll fix it up'. When I returned from work at 5 the drying rack was set up in my room. This is the kind of 'nothing is too difficult service we frequent travellers appreciate'.

What could have been better? For bonus points it would have been nice to have an upgrade to a 2-bedroom unit, or one with a view especially given I was staying 6 nights and if one was avaialble. But hey, no points against them for this : I got everything I expected and paid for.

Top tips: pick up some fresh milk, cereal and bread from Coles up the road, and enjoy cheap healthy breakfasts in the comfort of your room.

Only gripes:
1. even from the 23rd floor you can still hear the sound of the traffic all night long, especially the rumble of cars going over the tram tracks.
2. I had trouble connecting to the Internet. While the rooms have both wireless and LAN connections, you have to connect first over the LAN and then you can get a code for the wireless, but for some reason my laptop wasn't connecting via the wire network, so had to fall back to plan B and use my handy iPad. Also in this day and age hotels shouldn't be charging for Internet access.

Room Tip: Ask for a apartment on a higher level.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank DocM-Melbourne

Dear Melbournetraveller18,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. It is such a delight reading your review, and hearing that we have met all your standards for an enjoyable stay. We're glad discerning and experienced travellers such as yourself have discovered a better place to stay and now choose us as their base in Sydney.

Again, on behalf of all our staff, we thank you for choosing the Meriton Serviced Apartments, and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed at the Meriton for two nights. Most of all it's great value for money. You get a modern clean room with a kitchenette for just over $100 a night. I'd stay here anytime. It's right near Chinatown it's pretty easy to get around Sydney from here. If you're an international tourist, maybe stay closer to the harbour side, but if not take advantage of nice affordable accom at the Meriton.

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear Yuki_6,

Thank you very much for your great feedback. We're glad you had an enjoyable stay, and found the apartments and location perfect for your needs. The Meriton Serviced Apartments are indeed fantastic value for the luxury accommodation we offer.

On behalf of our staff, we thank you for choosing to stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Really impressed with the standard of our studio apartment on the 23rd floor; everything felt brand new, including a very well-equipped kitchen, and an extremely comfortable bed. Spacious, quiet (for the location) and everything worked. Right in the middle of Chinatown, so access to great food in every price range, round the corner from a major bus route and very close to Central Station. Only downside was the exhorbitant charge for Internet access!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Pinkflamingo88,

Thank you very much for your great feedback and for choosing to stay with the Meriton Serviced Apartments. We're glad you had a lovely stay and found the apartments and all the facilities impressive. The internet service is provided by an external company and the charge is in par, if not lower, than other hotels in the city.

Along with our staff, we thank you for choosing us and do look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed at this establishment in the period from 7/5/12 to 11/5/12. My experience was positive from the start. I had indicated that I would arrive at approximately 9.000 am expecting to cloak my bags. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had been flagged for an early book-in. I was told that I would be contacted within the next hour by mobile phone to advise when the room would be available and this is precisely what occurred.

The quality of the studio apartment exceeded my expectations. It was pristinely clean and exceptionally well appointed. A very important amenity is what amounts to a concealed laundry complete with washing machine and drier within the apartment. The queen-sized bed was extremely comfortable. On a value for money basis the room was a steal. The reception staff were in the main very courteous and obliging.

The China Town area in which this establishment is located is very well catered for in terms of eating options. Paddy's Market (market and discount outlets) is in close proximity and on the first floor of this establishment there are coin operated computers which allow affordable access to the internet ($2.00 for one half hour). I was gob-smacked at the fact that I had poached eggs on toast and a latte for $8.50 in a small adjacent Asian cafe. The Town Hall and central station are about 10 minutes easy walk up George Street. There are also Coles and Woolworths supermarkets in George Street which is convenient for persons in serviced apartments.

One criticism I offer is in relation to the provision of tourist information. There is simply none on offer. I had to access a decent sized map of the Sydney CBD and immediate environs from a different source. I also had a couple of other minor quibbles which were dealt with expeditiously and with good humour by the staff. I would not hesitate to stay in these apartments again and would recommend them to family and friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Raymond01

Dear Raymond01,

Thank you so much for such a lovely feedback and your valuable recommendation. We're glad we've exceeded your expectations, and found the apartments perfect for your needs. They are indeed built for living, and provide all the comforts of home at an exceptionally good value.

On behalf of our wonderful staff, we thank you for choosing to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again soon.