Have stayed in Meriton Campbell for 12 nights in April and enjoyed my stay,
I have to divide my review in to 2 parts as i stayed in 2 different rooms. I will come back to this a bit later in the review,
We arrived on an early flight from Singapore (started in Amsterdam) at around 6 AM and were in our apartment around 7.30 AM. Key to keep in mind is that these are serviced apartments and not a hotel. Some basic facilties such as concierge, business center etc are missing. However having stayed in Shanghai Marriot apartment thise services were present.For us it was not a big deal at all.
The check-in was funny as they could not locate my reservation from booking.com. Due to the early arrival i had already booked an apartment the day before so we could immeditaly go to the apartment. I had also called ahead and the note would be made to my reservation that i would arrive the next day. Booking.com also informed them about this.
After stating my name and presenting my passport I was asked 3 times if the name on the booking was correct and if i had booked at the Campbellstreet location. Only after mentioning that i had already booked an apartment the day before she could locate the reservation. I always book 1 day ahead and this is the first place they have a system that can't handle that.
The lady that did the check-in was not the friendliest so our first impression was not real good. However during our stay it turned out she was the exception as all the other staff were really friendly, polite and attentive, If we had a question we would wait until a colleague was free else come back..
Now off to the apartment. We had a studio and it was very modern and clean plus we had a nice view. The kitchen was modern and had all the equipment one would need. Very convienent washer and dryer as well.
We did however had some minor issues with this apartment:
1. the bed was placed in a very strange angle which made it impossible to watch tv from the bed. I know that this sound stupid, but we are the types that like to relax after a long day of tourist stuff by watching some tv from the bed and then fall a sleep.
2. The lights in the room were of the Chinese fastfood place at night type e.g. TL lights. Very clinical and not warm at all. The same lights are in the bathroom. First time i have seen these lights in a hotel or apartment. Reading some earlier reviews I am not the only one noticing. Also the bathroom is poorly lit. Also there is no lightswitch near the bedside, only at the front door.
3. Very unlogical bathroom as the floor outside the shower would get completely wet when showering and the main door openend to the inside smashing on to the bathroom shower door. the design of teh floor is not that good. Also there are cabinets behind the mirror and when you stand in front of the sink your view is blocked by the cabinetdoors as the close directly above the middle sink leaving an opening. you would then have to shift to the left but due to the poor lighting this was not nice.
4. not a lot of outlets and if you would need one you would have to shift around some furniture to access one.
All on all not major issues but combined enough to check if there is a room with another layout. Being 15.000 km from home some comfort levels are needed.
Next day there was a new lady at reception and she was very friendly. She did mention that the rooms ending in XX04 have these issues (mainly layout) and i was not the first to mention this. We could move into another studio with a different layout later that day. And so we did and the new studio was a bit smaller but very nice. Good layout, clean, bigger bathroom with good lighting and no water on the floor. Issue with outlets remained and in some parts also the chinese lights. However still an excellent room.
the location is in China / Thaitown area and is 5 min walk to Central station, easy bus access and a 30 min walk to Darling Harbour and the Quay area. It is a busy area especially during weekends
A lot of restaurants, and shops nearby so no issue here. Also for trips to Blue Mountains and Bondi we just took an early train because of close access to Central station.
Taxi's are direct in front of the Meriton so we simply took 1 back to the airport.
Would recommened this property overall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Let the feeling of excitement and wonder take over as you approach our revolving doors and make your grand entrance into our chic and stylish lobby. Be invited into luxury by our professional porter assistance and a team of exceptional Guest Services staff. Check into one of our 247 beautifully designed suites, all of which feature spacious floor plans, sophisticated furnishings and modern facilities that will promise a comfortable stay in style. For the basic necessities, our Classic Studios offer plush king sized bedding, a kitchenette and internal laundry while our Modern Suites feature additional open plan living spaces to boast the extra comforts of a suite apartment. Our Fortune Suites will give you the opportunity to relax and unwind by watching the city life go peacefully by. Treat yourself to a relaxation session in our first class spa and sauna facilities or maintain your fitness regime with our fully-equipped fitness centre and 20 metre heated indoor lap pool. Soak your muscles in reinvigorating designer bathroom amenities and put your feet up to a daily serviced suite. Make the most of our complimentary Wi-Fi and keep connected from all areas of the hotel, including your suite. Situated amongst the vibrant atmosphere of Chinatown, our guests are able to experience the local Asian culture whilst staying in the heart of the city. Explore the delicious cuisines, markets and stalls found in the masses along the neighbourhood. Venture along the bustling streets to reach World Square Shopping Centre only a block away and find all the specialty retailers you can imagine at Pitt Street Mall only moments further. Our prime location in the heart of Sydney's entertainment precinct means our guests are spoilt with boundless entertainment options. Guests are able to cross the road and catch the latest live show in town at Sydney's Capitol Theatre or visit the IMAX theatre, home to the world's largest cinema screen. Discover something unique at Paddy's Market, located only moments away in Haymarket. At the markets, you'll find an array of fashion, accessories, homewares, souvenirs, fresh flowers and fresh produce from hundreds of stall holders all under the one roof. The market's fresh produce is the best place to purchase delicious fruit and vegetables, perfect to snack on whilst sightseeing in Sydney, or even take back some ingredients and cook up a storm in the luxury of your suite. See all the sights around Sydney, including Circular Quay, the historical Rocks area and Darling Harbour with our convenient location only minutes away from public transport. Central Railway station is also the main terminus for intercity lines, transporting our guests to Sydney's surrounds such as the magical Blue Mountains, the Central Coast and Newcastle as well as Bondi and the scenic South Coast. With top quality and better value, travellers will find ultimate luxury when they choose to stay at Meriton Suites Campbell Street, Sydney. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street Hotel Sydney