“A Wonderful Walk.......a wonderful day!”

My Detour™ - Day Tours
Ranked #95 of 343 Tours in Sydney
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our Detours. Sharing Sydney’s untold stories. Since launching in 2008 with little more than a 1964 vintage Holden, our approach to tourism has always been offbeat. Today, as a family-run cultural tourism enterprise, we pride ourselves in offering authentic, thrilling and intimate insights into the city we love and call home. We want you to become a local in a day! With a Detour for everyone, we draw on imagination and community to weave captivating narratives and unforgettable experiences. Join us today and gain exclusive access to our local network of indigenous elders, contemporary artists, iconic buildings, world-class museums, rare artefacts and so much more. It’s time to come with us on the adventure of a lifetime! Berangere & Richard Graham Founders/Tour Guide Extraordinaires
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Walk.......a wonderful day!”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This was a day we will always remember. Having been to Sydney before and done all the usual touristy things this was something special and different. Our guide Belle was so friendly and welcoming and she really impressed us with her local knowledge of and passion for Australian history and native life. We learned so much and the tour felt very personal and dedicated entirely to us. It was so superbly organised and yet it felt like it wasn't as it was all very relaxed and we felt under no pressure to hurry or meet deadlines. The home made muesli bars were a lovely touch.
We really felt like we had value for money and would highly recommend it. A truly perfect day! We can't wait to do husband Richard's tour in the Holden on our return trip from the UK.

2 Thank 900PeterG
Richard G, Owner at My Detour™ - Day Tours, responded to this review, 15 September 2015
Dear Peter, thanks so much for your warm review. It is a delight to read your experience was exactly as it intended to be! Aside from keeping busy with our little girl, Eleanor, who we have recently welcomed into the world, we have also been developing a new range of experiences with our vintage '64 EH Holden Premier across Sydney which we are due to launch soon! Watch this space! Best wishes, Bérangère.

Raleigh
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Excellent Tour”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We took the 3-hour detour via car and highly recommend fitting this tour into your visit in Sydney. It provided insight into the neighborhoods and lifestyles of Sydney (past, present and future) that would be difficult to appreciate any other way. It's a way to see Sydney beyond it's typical sites like the bridge and the opera house (you still get a wonderful view of them on the tour!). I'm always on the lookout for tours and experiences beyond the typical ones...and this definitely fit the bill with no disappointment. Thank you Richard & Berangere!

2 Thank Dana F
Richard G, Owner at My Detour™ - Day Tours, responded to this review, 14 September 2015
Dear Dana, many thanks for your review! Where has the time gone?! We trust that you still have fond memories of your day. Our last few months have seen us playing multiple games of hide and seek for the car keys to our vintage vehicle! Our little 7 month old Eleanor likes to hide them! Thanks again for your review, we really appreciate it and hope that you are able to visit us again in the near future. Warm Regards, Richard & Bérangère
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“A Wonderful detour!”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We come to Sydney for its Opera house and its bridge, and once we've seen them, well... it's only fair to wonder what's left to do... My Walking Detour is your answer and an absolute must do for it's everything about Sydney that you haven't seen yet: secret beaches, spectacular mansions, a bit of bush, and wonderful views. Berangere had our day sorted: we booked, came at 9am at Circular quay's wharf #4, and enjoyed a walk from Rose bay to Watson's Bay. Not just any walk: Berangere - owner of My Walking Detour - has valuable knowledge about the area: its fauna, flora and history. We loved every bit of the walk and highly recommend it to tourists, but also to locals: there's always something to be learned! :)
I must also say that I loved Berangere's home made cereal bars: A wonderful treat in a charming little box. Beware: Those are addictive!!

2 Thank oli_and_Al
Dear Oli and Al, while time has escaped from us, I wanted to thank you for your review. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your My Walking Detour experience...and you were a fan of my muesli bars! I still make them and agree they are addictive! I trust you have had wonderful adventures since. Regards, Bérangère
USA
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Calming escape from the city!”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Who would have thought that a quiet, uncrowded oasis exists just a short ferry ride from the hustle and bustle of Sydney? Vaucluse, with its spectacular views of Rose Bay, Double Bay, and Sydney harbor walking through hidden coves and national parks was the perfect antidote to de-stress and enjoy the natural beauty of eastern Sydney. Guiding us through the Harbour Walk was the owner, Berangere with her boundless energy, charm, and enthusiasm that carried us through hidden historical and nature gems along the way. Imagine our surprise when we sat down for lunch with a view of the beach while she delighted us with her delicious homemade mueslix bars while playfully egging us to taste vegemite that she bought for us from a local bakery. We loved her humor, her deep knowledge of flora and fauna, and her respect for environmental conservation by maintaining the trails where we hiked as a volunteer for the national park. Definitely a worthwhile trip, made more special in the company of Berengere!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank worldtraveler43Usa
Thank you so much for your review! Since your My Walking Detour experience Richard & I have welcomed Eleanor into our family - she has kept us busy with her boundless energy, hence our delay in responding! I'm extremely pleased that you enjoyed your experience, and thank you for your kind words - we love what we do here in Sydney and hope that you have fond memories of your visit. Best wishes, Bérangère
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We detoured into Richards best kept secret!!!!”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We booked everything Sydney had to offer but this tour was by far our favorite. Miles & miles or should I say kilometers of beautiful scenery & architecture we would have never seen otherwise. The tours by yacht, helicopter, walking up the bridge, taking the ferry & more didn't come close to taking in the real Sydney as this luxury tour did. We got a real feel of Sydney from the perspective of the local neighborhoods to the ultimate rich mansions & everything in between. Our best pictures are from this tour & our last stop incorporated all three elements Australia is known for. Richard was super cool & laid back we've made a great friend & can't wait to come back again!!! Danielle & Simone miss Sydney already!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Danielle J
Dear Danielle, what a pleasure it was to have spent the day with you on a My Sydney Detour! While time has gone by way too quickly, I trust that you still have fond memories of your experience. Thank you so much for the positive review; it really means a lot to us. I am also delighted that you got to experience Sydney as a local! Warm Regards, Richard.