“Awesome hotel and service! Great location!”
Review of The Darling

The Darling
Ranked #5 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This is the last hotel my husband and I stayed at in Australia and it was the best! Like many other people we upgraded to the Jewel Spa Suite, Room 1284 to be exact, and it was well worth the extra money for our honeymoon. The bathroom alone is reason enough. Wonderful shower and amazing round jetted tub. I want one of my own!
Everything about the stay was great: the room was huge, the service, the toiletries, the robes, slippers, towels etc. The bed was so comfortable we never wanted to get up. We also got lucky and had a good view of the harbor. The staff was very accommodating. We arrived there pretty early and they got our room ready a few hours earlier than check in time.
The location for us was really convenient. We walked just about everywhere but did take a cab to the opera house.
The whole Star complex is really nice. Lots of restaurants and shops. It's also a short walk to the harbor where there are even more restaurants and shops :)
Overall I would definitely recommend it but if you take a cab make sure you know the address. Our cab driver had never heard of it!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 June 2013

Last week I took my husband to The Darling for his 60th birthday and booking a courtyard view room with double bed on Zuji. When we arrived at this beautiful hotel we were greeted and told by the receptionist that she would get us up as high as possible for views and asked us if we wanted twin or double beds. I advised her that I booked a double. On arriving in our room we found we had views over Pyrmont and the City West Link. The room was beautiful and luxurious but I was not happy with the view. I didn't want to make a fuss as it was my husband's birthday so accepted the room. As we were going out that night for dinner we decided to have a rest for the next couple of hours. During this time we had 4 knocks on our door for delivery of suits, fruit platters, hats & shirts, room service all for the wrong people. In the end we gave up trying to sleep and had a shower, watched TV and looked out over the Pyrmont rooftops. On checking out the next day I asked the receptionist about our room, saying that we had booked a Courtyard View Room and she advised me that when we checked in I asked for a double bed and that none of the Courtyard View Rooms had double beds only twin beds. She told me that she would make a note on the system that on my next booking I would be upgraded to a suite. I could have made a scene but as this was a special occasion thought I would leave it at that. I recommend that if you want to stay at this hotel book direct. I didn't get what I booked through Zuji - a Courtyard View Room with a double bed. A disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Book direct to make sure you get a room with the view you want.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sue1956
Reviewed 11 June 2013

If your reason for a Sydney trip involves a focus on the CBD (city centre), I'll start by saving you review time and suggesting you try something on the city side of Darling Harbour. If you're happy with a fifteen minute stroll or aren't so bothered about being near the CBD itself, read on...

Hotel wise, the darling is around a year to eighteen months old (written in may 2013) and still feels really fresh. It follows the recent trend for darker lobbies, funky fittings etc and it's a nice break from the twenty shades of beige most of the larger corporate hotels that act as competition usually serve up. Space is cleverly used too, sliding doors, neat shower cubicles etc to make the most of the room you have.

In terms of service, I got a great greeting..guy waiting at my car, took luggage in,waited for my check in and guided me to the room which was pretty nice. The room itself was on floor ten (I think!) which, as it turns out is apparently a smokers floor. I thought they were long gone, but my room stank and the guy that moved me (see below) said it was the whole floor. Anyway.. Be aware.

In terms of the original room, well laid out, nice features and as above, clever use of space. The room I was moved to was larger and equally nice. Huge flat screen, comfy sofa, nespresso coffee machine.. which is a nice change from the usual sachet coffees... Comfy robes and great moulton brown toiletries. In cities where everyone offers variations on a theme, its these small touches that I find really make a difference.

And thats why I'd give it four out of five, including the great and prompt service when I requested my room swap. Why not five? Location. It's a personal thing, but tourist or business, unless you really want to be on the far side of Darling Harbour for some reason, I just find it a bit of a pain.

Room Tip: Watch for the smokers floor. Or ask for it, if that's your thing!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I just returned from our long weekend stay at The Darling.
From the moment we arrived we were treated like Kings. All Staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were lovely. We stayed in the Jewel suite with a view of the Harbour. Great size room. We didnt touch the mini bar and I dont really like how the fridge automatically charges items, it feels cheap to me and more like having a vending machine in your room. Cleaners were very friendly. I had no trouble using the tv to control the lights, heater, blinds etc but my husband had no idea and I think alot of people may find it difficult to cope with this operating system. It seriously took over one hour to fill the bath but I wasnt in a rush and the shower was great. Dressing room was very spacious. Going to breakfast was not an issue as it is close even though its next door. A really nice place to stay and I would love to return soon.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here on 30 & 31 May and found the service to be the standard of a 5 star hotel. We requested a room away from the lift and unfortunately found our way to a room straight next to the lift. After a brief phone call we were not only moved but upgraded. I am sure there are times they cannot do that but given the opportunity they really try to ensure your stay is perfect. All staff are polite and genuinely helpful. The rooms are spotless, tasteful and soooo comfortable. Although it is part of the casino it is very quiet in the hotel area and right at the door of the harbour. I cannot understand any negative feedback with the hotel staff...its a matter of treat people how you would like to be treated I guess.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift and not an adjoining room. The adjoining rooms have only two door...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This was a fantastic stay, absolutely faultless, we were upgraded to a jewel spa suite, and ended up staying a second night. I've stayed at most of the 5 star hotels in sydney and this rivals all of them for comfort and value.

Going back in 6 weeks to do it all again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

A business colleague of mine and I stayed at the Darling Hotel in Sydney in May. We had previously stayed at The Star and seen the Darling being built.

From the time we arrived we could not have been more impressed. The service was amazing. Even the fragrance in reception was a fabulous experience. Our suites were world class. The fittings and fixtures were magnificent.

The Japanese restaurant (Sokyo) is an absolute must. By far the best Japanese restaurant that I have found outside of Japan.

This hotel is truly of a world standard and well worth a visit when in Sydney.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business