“Amazing room”
Review of The Darling

The Darling
Ranked #7 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Beautifully decorated & spacious. The jewel spa suite is easily the most modern hotel in Sydney. Blew my expectations out of the water. Love the c-bus throughout & current vogue & Marie Claire in room is a nice touch. Bathroom is especially lovely with big spa & separate walk in robe.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank alycecrock

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I can't comment on the hotel but The Spa@ The Darling was terrible. I'm a spa junkie and always like to visit new spas especially one that looks as gorgeous as this one. I was given a $170 voucher as a birthday gift and added another $130 to it to upgrade to what promised to be two hours of delight; the 90 minute Abhyanga Massage and the chance to linger in the relaxation rooms.
In the spa menu this massage is described as great for anyone in need of some TLC. That was me, after a stressful few months I just needed to relax and be pampered. So I made a booking to spend the afternoon of my birthday relaxing at the spa.
My visit started with my therapist greeting me with " You are late so your treatment will be cut short". I was not late but there were forms to be filled out and a warm welcome drink to be enjoyed but this greeting put an end to any feeling of warmth or welcome.
The massage was basic, without any skill and less than ordinary with the therapist telling me how she really prefers doing facials. Nothing about the treatment was relaxing and there was certainly no TLC.
To top it off I had called to explain that as it was my birthday I would be going to dinner from the spa and wanted to know if there were facilities there for me to do my hair and make up or if I should go home to get ready. I was told there were facilities where I could shower, do my hair and makeup. Imagine my horror when I found that the whole spa had very dim lighting and there was noway I could do my make up in such dim surroundings? The helpful spa staff told me to go to the toilets in the hotel lobby (two floors down) and do my hair and make up there!
After parting with my $300 and leaving for the restaurant looking less than my best it was a very poor start to my birthday celebrations.
I have subsequently had massages at two other places at a fraction of the price. Both were far better massages that at The Spa@ The Darling so my advice is don't bother.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank chellmc59
Roger G, Manager at The Darling, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear michelle_l_mcewing,

Thanks very much for taking the time to write about your visit to The Spa at The Darling. Needless to say I'm disappointed to read that it didn't meet the standards you should rightfully expect.

I've been in touch with our General Manager and she's instructed one of the Spa staff members to contact you straight away to discuss your experience. We'd love to welcome you back to The Spa again so please expect an email very soon.

Best regards,
Roger

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed at The Darling overnight in late October, for a girls trip to Sydney. The room was spotless, beds and pillows so, so comfortable and amenities just perfect. The TV was massive and for us girls, the hairdryer (A VS model) was a very welcome addition.

The pool was lovely and spa was perfect too! Staff were very helpful, even when it appeared one of our suitcases had been mislaid due to arriving early and leaving it there prior to check-in, they were more than helpful and were apologetic when it was delivered within 30 minutes of check-in.

The location is perfect for getting the Sydney CBD and you can't miss some of the brilliant cafes in the area.

Will be recommending this fine hotel to all our friends and families.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Where do i start. In October i had booked 2 nights at the darling in a junior spa suite to have as our pre wedding getting ready room, and then my husband and I returned to the room after our wedding and it was our honeymoon suite.

The amount of space in the suite was enough to fit 4 bridesmaids, a flower girl, the mother of the bride, two hairdressers and two makeup artists, plus all of their bits and pieces and all of my bits and pieces for the wedding day.

From when i decided to book with The Darling to the moment we left the staff were absolutely amazing and worked endlessly to ensure that everything ran smoothly on the day and that if we needed anything they provided it.

We were allowed to unpack the car and leave it in the valet until we were ready and everything was upstairs and that was about half an hour.

We rang the reception on numerous occasions and called room service just as many times and every time they came to the door with a smile on their face and no complaints and brang anything we needed, as strange as the request may have been. Everything from a knife, to a extension chord was asked for and whatever we had forgotten they seemed to have available for us to use.

We had organised for them to bring up stools for us to get ready and when they makeup artist arrived she said they were too tall so the staff found us smaller chairs and worked so quickly and efficiently to ensure that I was a happy customer.

Once we set off for the wedding, our room was made up and set for the night when i was to return with my husband. When we walked in the ambience of the room was excellent the lighting was dimmed the massive wall curtains were open and the view of the harbour was gorgeous.

The room service food was amazing we ha dull breakfast included each both mornings and we had desert the night before the wedding which we ate in the massive spa with our glasses of moet, and there was nothing I could fault.

The bathrooms were huge, you had your own sink each, the shower water pressure was just right but if you wanted it more or less you could change it. AND the best thing for myself there was a walk in wardrobe which had ample room for my wedding dress, the bridesmaids and flower girl dress, our shoes, our honeymoon bags etc etc.

ABSOLUTELY PLEASED with our stay.

Room Tip: The higher your room, the better your view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nik B
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

We loved The Darling, very classy! Room was clean, the bed soooo comfortable. Molten Brown products, gorgeous bathroom. Friendly staff. We would stay again! Few issues-
- no room in bar fridge for own drinks, mini bar takes up all the fridge
- UHT milk.... Yuk, fresh milk please
-Little table for preparing coffee would be good , instead of balancing the nespresso on the sink!
- hard to see at night to the bathroom, due to light switches on the wall.
We ate at Fat Noodle( next door in casino) for 3 nights, it was so good !
Overall fantastic , can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at The Darling for three nights at the start of November.

Our flight had been delayed getting to Sydney, and we were in a hurry to make a dinner reservation. Thankfully, check in was very quick.

Our room was fantastic. Special mention to the beautiful sheets on the bed - really luxurious!

The down side was not having a great view. We could see the pool out of our window, and did realise when we visited the pool that guests who hadn't drawn their sheer curtains would be easily seen.

Apparently, the top floors have the smoking rooms, so if you can put up with the smell, you would have a better view.

We used the pool and gym in the Astral Residences, adjacent to the Darling, both of which were great.

The only real gripe I would have is the $6 charge for all room service (and pool side) orders. I have always thought that such a charge would be covered in the premium prices you pay for the food and drinks..

We had massages in the spa as well, which I can highly recommend. The spa takes up a whole level and is very decadent.

I can also recommend dinner at Sokyo - amazing food, drinks and service!

Relatively convenient spot. We walked to the city several times which takes about 20 minutes.

Wonderful break. Thanks, The Darling!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TripTaker2407
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

My husband & I stayed here for two nights for our 20 th wedding anniversary. Absolutely beautiful hotel. Very modern & exciting as soon as you walk in this hotel. We had a jewel spa suite. Very spacious & a comfy bed. Amazing bathroom with all the latest mod cons. Only let down was they wanted $8 for 1/2 bucket of ice to put our champagne in. Mmmmm. Not impressed. Also u can't put anything in fridge & is all automatic. Those two things were the only downfall, especially when u pay good money.

• Stayed: November 2013