“Awesome”

The Darling
Ranked #5 of 176 Hotels in Sydney
“Awesome”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My partner and I recently combined a stay at 'The Darling' in a Jewel Spa Suite with a visit to their own Events Centre to see Alicia Keys perform (she was amaze-balls). We booked early so got 15% off the usual price. Valet parking was very easy to find and upon arrival we were immediately greeted by porters who kindly assisted with our luggage. We simply gave them the name of which our reservation was in and they efficiently cleared our car and luggage straight away. Check-in was very quick and efficient and all the staff to this point were lovely i.e. welcoming and very helpful. On arrival to our room we were very pleasantly surprised. The room had sensors that upon entry to the room, displayed service menus etc on the first of 2 very large smart tv screens, automatically drew back the blinds and switched on any relevant lighting. The entire suite can be controlled easily via the tv and it's remote or by using the various old school electronic switches on the walls in every room. The Jewel suite is very spacious with separate living area, beautiful big king bedroom with it's own large flat screen and one of the most amazing bathrooms I've ever seen in a hotel. The room was also very clean, the bathroom was spotless. The mini bar is well stocked and there is a nespresso machine on hand. In room dining is available 24/7 and there is a lot on offer at prices that I thought were pretty good for room service. We enjoyed an English breakfast with sausage, bacon, 2 eggs, portobello mushrooms, spinach, tomato and sour dough, a beautiful fruit platter for each of us, croissants, more sour dough and conserves, tea and freshly squeezed orange juice for $38 per person and it was sensational, the only complaint I have is that we couldn't eat it all. The bathroom has a beautiful shower with both a hand-held shower head and an overhead shower head and there is a massive gorgeous round spa bath, a very comfortable toilet, dual sinks i.e 1 at either end of this enormous bathroom and then a very large walk-in/ironing/dressing room directly off the end of this very impressive bathroom. The kitchenette is very well equipped with Nespresso machine, cocktail glasses, shakers etc. so you can easily entertain guests if needed. The lounge area is quite comfortable with plentiful seating and an abundance of entertainment available on the 55inch smart tv. There is a desk setup in the King Bedroom which is very comfortable to use and provides good access to electrical ports for charging etc. The air-conditioning works really well but there are also small windows that you can open that provide fresh and quite a strong breeze if that is your preference. All the little extra's are included i.e. beautiful bathroom products, gorgeous robes and slippers, a nice size safe that will fit a laptop in, everything you need really. We didn't visit the pool but we were overlooking that area and it looked very inviting so I'm disappointed we didn't have time to use it. Downstairs there is a food hall with heaps of options and a 24hr Shop that has a great selection of essentials and snacks available at much cheaper prices then the in-room mini bars, be careful though because the in room fridge has no spare room in it for you to store your own stuff. There are also an abundance of restaurants available and entertainment galore directly on-site i.e. the Casino and The Events Centre or Star Entertainment Centre and The Darling has it's own spa as well. So, all up, we were really impressed and can't wait to stay at 'The Darling' again as it was just superb. The staff were awesome and that always makes a big difference.

Room Tip: If a non-smoking room is important to you then you should state that in your preferences when bookin...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Killdare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
hobyan
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed here many times. It's outlandish and plush. Having your own dressing room, lounge, multiple TV's, study. The linens, amenities etc, all very Las Vegas.

I always eat at Momofuku Seiobo and Zumbo in the complex, highly recommend.

It's not romantic, it's not quiet - if you want that then I like the Park Hyatt.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here for my partner's birthday and was upgraded to a suite... and it was a fabulous suite at that! Loved the room, the decor, the circular jacuzzi, large TVs in each room, very comfy bed and pillows.

Loved the Molton Brown toiletries and the Nespresso capsule coffee included.

Gym was shared with the bigger Astral next door so it got a little busy but the pool (and bar) was gorgeous even tho' I didn't get to use it because it was a bit cold then. The Spa would've been great if I had the time...

Staff were very helpful and always obliging, always with a smile and seem genuine when asking you pleasantries. Hallways were quiet and seems that guest privacy is definitely ensured. Staff numbers looked minimal but it's not... they're there when needed.

If there was a downside it would be the breakfast buffet. Shared also with the Astral, it is also a buffet restaurant that's part of The Star Casino complex. The spread was nice but it just isn't on par with the class of The Darling.

In all, I had a great stay at this hotel, and would definitely return again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Star_Management, Manager at The Darling, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Loincloth,

It is great to hear that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us, especially for such a special occasion. More importantly, thank you for enjoying all the unique details that are distinctly Darling. From the custom designed Darling Bed, the mixture of two different custom designed pillows to ensure a sound sleep, and the convenience of the much welcomed Nespresso in the room.

It is these small touches that make up the experience, and we are glad you enjoyed each and every one of them.

In regards to breakfast options, perhaps on your next stay you would prefer Antidote, a local’s favourite for those breakfasts on the go, or a more indulgent option of an In Room Breakfast, which comes highly recommended.

Until we meet again,

Dx
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is truly a luxury experience that Sydney can be proud of. I would describe the Standard King room as almost a Suite with a seperate lounge and bedroom. The bathroom with spa and walk in dressing room is a lovely, hidden surprise.
And of course, the view out over Darling Harbour, the CBD skyline and the Harbour Bridge is spectacular.
My experience began with a mild hiccup, there were no valets out the front when I drove up so I had no idea if I was meant to leave my car at the door. I was out of the car and walking into the hotel before a young man ran up to me to see if I needed assistance. Car keys handed over, all was fine. Not a big deal but in most 5 star hotels around the globe there is generally a plethora of people waiting to open doors, take your vehicle and your luggage, The Darling appears to have gone minimalist!

Checking in was smooth and quick, the lovely lady behind the desk, took me up to my room and pointed out all the fixtures and features. She was delightful and the personal touch was appreciated.

About 15 minutes after I checked in, a complimentary fruit platter was delivered to my room, a delicious and well received touch!

I didn't eat from room service but the menu appeared to have a decent variety and the pricing was not astronomical.

It is a large hotel so when I called down for ice and an ice bucket I was pleasantly surprised to have it delivered in less than 5 minutes!!

The decor is contemporary and tasteful....loved the photo art around the room. The features are high-tech but not impossible to figure out. And, the amount of space was brilliant!

I would highly recommend a night at the Darling, I truly wish I could have spent more time as a guest.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the Harbour Bridge.... the bed faces the window so it's a delightf...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
The_Star_Management, Manager at The Darling, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Louise L.

We cannot thank you enough for your generous feedback, you seem to have really captured what we strive to achieve for each and every one of our guests.
From the personalised service delivered by team, to the perfect timing of fresh amenities, which we hope you enjoyed. And in regards to our In Room Dining Menu, I assure you, you will not be disappointed.
We also, wish you had more time to spend with us here at The Darling, and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
With warmest regards,

Dx
Macau, China
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Planning to try the high end properties in Melbourne and Sydney on my birthday trip, I was dismayed by the shocking levels of service in Melbourne Crown but The Darling at Sydney was a very pleasant surprise not only did start with an upgrade to a suite or a surprise by a complimentary amenity from the hotel, but the service was just super super attentive throughout our stay and consistently. Staff is always having the smiling face and willing to assist every single guest, like each time we were doing anything we were being escorted/helped out by at least 2 people. It seems that the culture of great service has been instilled into absolutely everyone, from the reception to the taxi marshal. Their casino is the most civilized casino in Macau - quite intimate, the right level of lighting, free drinks that are offered continuously, luxurious deco. The hotel is pretty quiet compared to all the surrounding properties. All in all - couldn't be happier. Excellent service. Will be back over and over again.

Room Tip: Room facing at Darling Harbour is amazing
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The hotel was visually appealing in the foyuer staff were friendly but sadly the overall experience was not good you see the room was electronically faulty. Arrived at 9pm after our flight from melb.. Checked in and couldn't open fridge to get out a drink. The electrician couldn't fix it so we had to select quickly what we wanted before he left as fridge went into lock down! Then we decided to watch a movie and order pizza.. Movie was great bit half way through power went out so we called main desk! They fixed it yet it kept happening until we just gave up. On check out we mentioned the problem again as they had no notes on these occurrences and I felt they weren't apologetic .. They did not charge is for movie but I felt they should have offered us a complimentary nights stay in the future for all that we put up with. It really puts a dampner on what was meant to be a relaxing unwind to the beginning of our trip

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Sarah C
Dear Sarah C.

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to share your experience on this occasion. We were very disappointed to hear that your overall experience was hindered by the glitches encountered with the minibar and movie system, as we place great importance on the use of technology offered in our hotel to make each and every stay effortlessly comfortable. Rest assured we do take these issues very seriously, and based on your feedback we have been able to rectify the issue. We would greatly appreciate a moment of your time to discuss your experience a little further. Please feel free to contact me directly on stela.popovic@echoent.com.au at your convenience.

With warmest regards,
Stela Popovic
Sydney
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My mother and I stayed in this hotel in early December. From the moment we checked in the staff could not have nicer or more professional. A beautiful suite overlooked the harbour. The rooms were beautifully appointed and the bathroom with its spa bath especially, was quite incredible! We ate mostly room service which on every occasion was excellent in quality and comparatively well priced. The pool in this hotel is lovely and most rooms overlook it. The day spa is quite lovely though 'hotel prices' apply (though given the amenities this could be justified). All in all a wonderful experience by a clearly well run hotel with exceptional staff members.

Room Tip: The harbour view is considerably more attractive!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family