“Awesome!”

Sydney’s Tall Ship Sailing Adventure on James Craig
Ranked #78 of 485 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Barque James Craig is rightly famous around the world. She is Sydney’s only 19th Century square rigger (or Tall Ship) and her incredible restoration to full sailing condition was recognised in 2003 by the World Ship Trust’s award of their prestigious Maritime Medal. Her restoration cost almost $A30 million and took nearly 40 years to complete after she was rescued from Recherche Bay in far southern Tasmania. This beautiful ship regularly goes to sea with up to 80 passengers and is open for public inspection at her berth at Wharf 7, 58 Pirrama Road, Pyrmont. She is also available for charter and for functions. Tall Ship James Craig is looked after by Sydney Heritage Fleet, a community-based non-profit organisation, with the following mission: To build and maintain an internationally recognised centre of excellence in maritime heritage for the benefit of all Australians by presenting through research, acquisition, conservation, restoration, education and operation, our continuing maritime history. The Fleet is funded through donations, membership subscriptions and income from vessel charters and tours. The Fleet’s 1200 strong membership and 450 dedicated volunteer workers restore, operate and maintain the fleet of vintage vessels. In the process they preserve traditional technical methods and skills.
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Lunch time cruise during the Tall Ship Festival on Sydney Harbour. Words just cannot describe how amazing the view and experience was. You get a lunch pack which is really too big but we lucked out when there was no gluten free one that I ordered for my son that has coeliac disease. We were fortunate to be seated near some off duty volunteer tour guides which kept the kids captivated especially when they got to inspect the captain's quarters. Would love to go for a few days on the sailing trips which are done under sail - just another level of amazing I reckon. Not good for kids though with the generation needing to be entertained and not satisfied with just enjoying the scenery. But this little black duck loved every second and dreams of being without children on a sailing trip one day in the future.

2  Thank KimberlyMayD
There are newer reviews for James Craig Tall Ship

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We visited this lovely ship having coveted the tours of the endeavour,onslow and the vampire. And we all agreed that along with the vampire this was the highlight of the whole museum. Not just because it is a gorgeous well restored ship (which it is) but because just like the endeavour you are guided around the ship by such wonderfully enthusiastic staff who really enjoy telling you all about the ship and tell you lots of interesting facts and stories.
None of us are massively interested in boats but this really was a great tour and enjoyed by all, adults and kids alike!

3  Thank Alan P
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The historical James Craig has been beautifully restored. It is such a wonderful example of the ships of old and, in fact, one of only 4 of her era and rig still afloat. It is well worth going on board and seeing her. I was thrilled to do the tour - as she is moored in Sydney now - but I also think it would be wonderful to go for a sail on the Harbour on her and hope to do that myself soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Definitely worth seeing - this magnificent tall ship was restored from a rotting hulk to a wonderful example of the old sailing ships. Located at Darling Harbour, it is easy to get to and takes about an hour to have a good look around the vessel.

2  Thank Bowral
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We visited it at the maritime museum. We had a guide show us the ship and tell us its history. An amazing story and an amazing ship. Its very big and I tried to imagine it at sea would be a trip to remember. Shame it was a spontaneous idea to visit as I wish I had my camera with me.

2  Thank DomenicPapa