“Don't bother if you're not a 'regular'”

Verde Restaurant + Bar
Ranked #853 of 6,518 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Darlinghurst
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

My partner booked a table weeks and weeks ago for Valentines Dinner. It was a surprise and we really dont tend to go out much due to work and family commitments. We arrived and was offered a table at the end of another groups (group of four) table, was a little confused as my partner was advised when we booked that we were the first booking for that special date and we would get a 'good' table in the restaurant. We asked the waiter to confirm if this was our correct table, she advised that the good tables were only (no matter how early we booked) reserved for regulars only. She actually said that out loud and we all heard (including our other new dinner dates). We sat in surprise and said hello to our fellow diners at our table....who were also shocked. Ordered two entrees, calamari -a small amount of rubbery fried stuff arrived. The bread, our other entree was chewy, almost stale like.
Mains, we ordered the risotto; I guess it was ok if you like your risotto watery and with excessive amounts of parsley. And resembled jasmine rice more so. My partner ordered the slow roasted pork pasta. Meat was cooked nice but the dish had no flavour.
Service was probably the worst part, we drive 120 mins (after reading reviews we thought it was worth it plus it was Valentines day) and was treated like homeless people. We were the only ones in the place with no olive dish served on arrival. Our water glasses sat empty until I asked for some water and poured it myself....all the regulars had theirs poured. We were not asked for any further drinks. And to top it off we were the only people in this dark joint with their candle not lit....we couldn't even read the menu!!!
Overall I wouldn't bother unless you live next door, are not fussed about flavour and are happy to flash your money around for no good reason.
The pub across the road would have been more romantic than this place....thanks for ruining our Valentines night.
Pricey and rude.

4  Thank Gentlebubba

Reviewed 7 February 2014

My third visit to this restaurant. Food was again excellent, nice blend of Italian and Oz style. However, service was clearly subpar and substandard, as I did not qualify as friend of staff. Friends got olives on the table as soon as they got the menu. Friends were informed about the today's special, I was brushed off "not on Fridays". Friends got refills on glasses of wine (not that I would expect this, but it's frustrating if you're the only one left out).

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

What a great place to ear, great device, well priced, lovely food.

Living only a couple of minutes from Verde makes it a great place for dinner with my wife.

Take the time to try it

Reviewed 22 December 2013

At the end of the working year, with Christmas in the sun beckoning, my partner and I decided to take a balmy Friday night out and enjoy dinner at one of our favourite restaurants.
We call and a table was free, good thing we did as upon our arrival around 7.45pm, the place was packed and diners were being sent upstairs or on a wait list.
A new addition to the glass wall was young Marilyn M looking down on us with a sultry pout.
Verde has been a stalwart of Stanley St in East Sydney for many years and Antonio Ruggerino produces top quality seasonal Calabrian dishes which sing of flavour and simple ingredients cooked beautifully.
After the chilled martinis, we shared an antipasti plate of cured meats with some cheese and olives, simple, fresh and very tasty.
Our main dishes, grilled snapper with papadelle pasta and peas and a barramundi fillet with well-crisped skin on a base of green lentils, spinach, celery and parsley were each just delicious. The local recommended Pinot Grigio went down a treat with the fish.
Dessert was one of those deconstructed numbers, described as "crumbled apple" - which turned out to be rich, fruity and with the ice cream, quite scrumptious!
Great all round for an occasion or just a fabulous meal cooked by a chef who loves cooking!

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We had not been to Verde for over a year but had spoken highly about it since our last visit. So we were interested to see if it had changed. Happily not. It really is a great Italian restaurant. If you want high prices and stuffy service, this place clearly isn't for you. What it is is what Italian food should be all about. Reasonably simple food done very well at reasonable prices. The wine list is also terrific - not huge, but well thought out at reasonable mark ups. Topping it off is the restaurant itself - cosy enough to have atmosphere, open enough to feel airy and welcoming on a summer's night. We love it.

1  Thank Greg M