“Great Sydney location, lovely accommodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sydney
Newtown Darlington Suites
Ranked #21 of 61 Sydney B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great Sydney location, lovely accommodation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed in the upstairs apartment and it was gorgeous.

I found this B&B last minute, and it couldn't have been more perfect. I needed somewhere to stay the weekend of my wedding, and it needed to serve a number of purposes! A relaxing spot to spend the evening before the wedding with my mum and daughter, a spacious apartment to get ready in with my bridesmaids, and a luxurious place to come back with my husband. We loved it.

It was trendy, very clean and really comfortable. It also felt really homely and cosy, as well as secure. Location wise, it's just a few minutes to the hub of King St and Newtown, close to parks and the lovely Wilson St. You're not far from the city either - with very easy transport links.

The only downside is it wasn't ideal for my 14 month old, who is into everything! Lloyd was so helpful and installed a stair gate at the top of the main stairs, but there are a couple of stairs between the kitchen and living room that that we couldn't do anything about, which were quite dangerous for a toddler. I wouldn't mark the accommodation down for this, as it was a last minute booking and I didn't ask about suitability for toddlers at the time of booking. Also, other than those couple of stairs, it was very comfortable for my daughter.

Another plus - despite the central location, we slept so comfortably. I couldn't hear any noise from outside at all, it was a very calm and relaxing place to stay.

Many thanks to Lloyd - we loved our stay, and would definitely recommend to others and come back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KateLouiseB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Talkeetna, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

The Golden Grove was amazing….very trendy, spotless, comfortable and an easy walk to both the rail and buses which provided easy access to all the museums and downtown Sydney. Lloyd was a great host, picking up and delivering us to the airport. This was a major help seeing we didn't rent a car. The cupboards and refrigerator were all stocked with breakfast food including fresh bacon and fruit from the market. Lloyd's place is a gem and definitely a great place to stay. It was very quiet at night and the lovely little grassy courtyard was a wonderful place to enjoy morning coffee and read the newspaper. Thanks again Lloyd for being such an amazing host and sharing your beautiful place with us. We will highly recommend your place to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mc G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I booked into this initially because it was only a couple of roads away from where family live and I did not want to get under their feet 24/7. However, the ground floor apartment was so spacious and convenient I landed up doing the entertaining!! Having some outside space was a real blessing at the end of a busy day pounding the streets of Sydney sightseeing, sharing a glass of wine and relaxing before heading into King Street to one of the many restaurants for a meal. Redfern Station was an easy walk away and meant I did not waste money on hiring a car as I could access everywhere I wanted to go by train and ferry from Circular Quay. Lloyd was a real star picking me up and returning me to the airport in good time. He took me on a short tour of the locality when I arrived in order to familiarise myself with the area. The apartment was clean, tastefully decorated in a contemporary style and the fridge and larder were stocked with all the essentials for breakfast. I stayed for 8 nights and will no doubt be returning for a repeat performance to visit the family next year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sandy H
Cheshire - England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I really cannot add to the details that others have given, Golden Grove is excellent, Lloyds the owner was a pleasure to deal with & Newtown is a really fun area to stay in with lots of reasonably priced places to eat and drink.

It is very quick to get into town from Redfern station and if you are staying for any period of time you can purchase various passes that make the journey very economical.

We had a superb week here and would not hesitate to return if we ever go to Sydney again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank simonrwright
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

What a great find this was, we used Tripadvisor to find it and were not disappointed. Lloyd was a great host, going above and beyond by meeting us at the airport. This was a great plus for us, especially as we were arriving on separate flights at different terminals! Lloyd showed us the lie of the land so we knew how to best get to the centre of town. The apartment was really spacious, with all mod cons and missing absolutely nothing. Lloyd lives nearby so we could easily get in touch with him if we needed to. But that wasn't necessary! Breakfast had been provided in the huge kitchen. There was also a nice grassed area outside for sitting in. It only took about 20 minutes on the bus to get into Sydney, and there are some lovely restaurants very nearby. It made a great start to our holiday in Australia.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margles51
Coraopolis, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Golden Grove was a delight to stay at. Lloyd was most helpful in showing me around town and pointing out restaurants nearby and places of interest. I had just flown in from the USA and this was the perfect place to relax and recover in - a home away from home! This is not just a bedroom but an entire apartment! One could definitely spend a week or two at Golden Grove while exploring Sydney. King Street is a short walk away and has lots of restaurants to eat at. Public transportation also runs there regularly so it's easy to get out and about. If I ever visit Sydney again I would certainly want to stay at the Golden Grove B & B again! Thank you Lloyd!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lynette G
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

We have just returned from a fifteen night stay at the Golden Grove B+B, as we were staying for that amount of time Lloyd picked us up from the airport and took us back.
Lloyds attention to detail is excellent and made us very welcome as soon as we were picked up, on the way back from the airport he drove us through Newtown showing us all the eateries and supermarkets and banks.
The flat we had was the downstairs one so we had the advantage of parking and somewhere to sit as the weather has been unseasonably warm, getting the hire car into to parking area was a bit hairy but to be fair I was upgraded with the hire car but a small hatch back would not be a problem.
The position of the property is perfect for central Sydney, we even walked in to the centre to collect the hire car approx 2km, there is a bus stop at the top of the road or Macdonaldtown station is a short walk, we started to use Redfern which is just slightly longer but a nice flat walk.
The kitchen contains everything you need for self catering, I even cooked a roast dinner ! all in all I would recommend the Golden Grove to anybody staying in Sydney well done Lloyd !!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple