“Very pleasantly surprised”

Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney
Ranked #69 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had a great room, and a great stay. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming, nor the location (for the price) much better. With Kings Cross Station about 40 meters from the front door, the good value "day return" train ticket for $5 became great value. One-way to any "City" destination is maybe $3.80, so the day return option saves 35% or something; there are maybe 5 stops within the "City;" you can get off at any one and return from any one -- flexible, easy, and efficient.

We had excellent wifi, a remarkable view from our 6th floor room, extremely efficient elevators, and lots of interesting dining options in the area. Most of the major car hire companies have locations around the corner down William Street a short way, so returning to the city and turning in the car was a snap, and saved both time and money.

I can't imagine we could have done better for our "name your price" hotel on Priceline, and if there is a next time for us in Sydney, I'm quite sure we'll book directly and stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SkykomishBob
Vicki L, Manager at Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear SkykomishBob,
Thank you very much for your stay with us at Holiday Inn Potts Point, and for your review. It is great that you found our location convenient and the facilities nearby were useful. The team will love to hear the great feedback. It would be a pleasure to have you stay with us next time you are in Sydney. Kind Regards, Vicki Lawrence, Holiday Inn Potts Point.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights and was pleasantly surprised by the great proximity to the station and the City. Travel was made very easy by being located literally on top of Kings Cross station. Good food was easy to find with an array of top quality restaurants nearby. Despite being a party spot, being a street back from the action meant I had a quiet night even though I was facing the road. Having a view of the Sydney harbour bridge to the left was a nice surprise too! The room itself was quite spacious and very clean. The bathroom was a great size and had enough amenities to last a couple of days. There is no mini bar available although there is a small bar fridge for people wanting to store a small amount of food or drink. One small disappointment was that I was surprised to come back from a day out at 4pm to find my room not serviced. Quite soon after I returned though I received a call from housekeeping asking if I wanted it made up - not sure why that happened. Being a priority rewards member I had free WiFi access which was well utilised and the gym was well planned out with enough equipment and space for several people at once. The bed was extremely comfortable and I appreciated the pillow choices available. The staff were friendly upon check in and check out and overall the hotel was clean and provided the right level of service and amenities for the amount that you pay. I will definitely stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alexandragfh

Dear Emoxhair,
Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your review, and thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point. It sounds like you’ve had a great Holiday Inn branded experience. We look forward to having you stay with us again. Kind Regards, Vicki Lawrence, Holiday Inn Potts Point

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed here for one night yesterday. It was quite easy to find. I found the check-in staff were cold and impersonal - not at all welcoming, compared to other Holiday Inn properties that I have stayed at. Being a IHG Rewards member - I got the spiel about thanking me for my loyalty but found it to be rehearsed and un-meaningful. I was not told about the free Wi-Fi for members and had to go and ask at the desk. I called reception about 5 times and there was no answer - so thinking that maybe they were busy went down in person. They were not busy at all and again I got the feeling like I was bothering them. The room itself was very clean and the bed very comfortable with a range of pillows. There was no mini-bar which was annoying when I got back from my evening work meeting. The room was on the 2nd floor (no view) and quite noisy from the street below. I could hear the guests in the next room talking, watching TV and every time they showered or flushed the toilet. Car parking was expensive (A$27.50). I checked out quite early 6.00am as I had a 3hr drive home. Check-out was quick and efficient and the staff were much more pleasant. As to whether I will stay again - probably not I prefer the Holiday Inn Old Sydney - where the staff are very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Vicki L, Manager at Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Charleega,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point. I apologise for the service you received upon check-in, and as well throughout your stay. It is disappointing to hear that we have not met nor exceeded your expectations of service, as it is our top priority. As you can see from other reviews, this is uncommon. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you, and of course offer a personal apology for the issues during your stay. Jason Sabin, the Senior Guest Experience Manager can be directly contacted at the hotel. I sincerely hope you choose to stay with us again, and see our improvement. Kind Regards, Vicki Lawrence, Holiday Inn Potts Point

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Great location near Kings Cross and was able to walk to the harbor and opera house from the hotel. Near lots of food and bars, staff was accomidating, and the rooms were very nice. Awesome view from some of the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Dear Emilymeschelle,
Thank you for your review, and recent stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point. It is great to hear that you found our location convenient and our staff provided great service to have a positive impact on your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Vicki Lawrence Holiday Inn Potts Point

Reviewed 6 June 2014

great staff, service was awesome, very friendly and helpful indeed, so convenient as its location is just near to shopping spots, and i must say the managers are very attentive , had quite a few of them helping out even when i didn't ask, eye to detail , THANK YOU potts point.

Room Tip: am certain all the rooms had a good view of the city, no matter which room they put u..
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Moana2014
Vicki L, Manager at Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Moana 2014,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay and thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff. We are pleased that you had an enjoyable business trip and the location was perfect. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Good location near station and buses or even walk into the heart of Sydney. Clean comfortable rooms, very friendly and helpful staff at reception. Unfortunately hotel is not well sound proof and noise from street disturbed us during our stay. The breakfast was good there, and a fair number of food choices across the hotel. Otherwise, the rooms looked a little tired and need revamping.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Silentscope,

Thank you for your review. It is great to read that you had an enjoyed your stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point and the location was convenient. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Great location should you be from out of town and need to frequent St Vincents hospital over several days. The staff at reception were very helpful with all my concerns and just made this trip somewhat easier. I have to travel again to Sydney again tomorrow and have rebooked this property.

Room Tip: Rooms up the ramp on ground floor level save a lot of time when coming and going...no wasting time w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Spks s,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point, and thank you for your loyalty. It is fantastic to read that our staff have been able to ensure your stay was so memorable. We wish you all the best and if there is anything you need during your future stay please do not hesitate to contact our friendly receptionists.