“Fantastic hotel stones throw to all the action” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cambridge Hotel Sydney

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Ranked #37 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Adelaide, Australia
“Fantastic hotel stones throw to all the action”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

Hotel situated in a great location, don’t be put off by the police station across the road as we never heard the sirens from there. If you do not mind a nice stroll through busy Sydney, all of the popular tourist sites are all within a 3km walk. If walking is not your style bus & train stations are relatively close by. The staff was very chipper & helpful even the room attendants always greeted us with an “Good morning” & a smile. My only gripe is, not sure if it was just the room we stayed in but PLEASE, PLEASE change the size of the fridge, it’s not like there is no room for a bigger one, just move the ironing board! As we stayed for 5 nights, I don’t know call me a tight a%*e but sorry I think that all of the food outlets in & around the tourist spots are way over priced for the quality & quantity of food you get. I would not like to be travelling for a week or more watching the pennies & with growing kids that need feeding. So my preference would be a bigger fridge, so that we could have purchased items from supermarkets for breakfast & lunch, not so much diner as there are plenty of great places to choose from including 212, the little pub on the corner & then of course Oxford & Crown Streets. I can hear all of you saying now “if you want a bigger fridge why didn’t you book an apartment”, please refer back to “being a tight a%*e” & “watching the pennies!” Overall fantastic place to stay & would stay there again & would also recommend to friends, family & anyone that would listen.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 4 January 2011
Dear Rodney 2010,

Thank you for taking the time to be so honest and generous with your feedback, and for creating a guide to any future guests. One of the reasons we always direct guest to Trip Advisor is we like to be open and have any feedback be available to the public. I am pleased that you were very happy with your stay at the Cambridge overall, let me assure you that we will discuss your desire for a bigger fridge in the rooms at our next meeting with our maintenance team. I would like to suggest you our Deluxe Bedroom Suites, which are more spacious and have a little kitchenette in the living room area. These rooms are only a little more than the rates for a Premium Room but still a great value for money. We look forward to welcoming you, your friends and family back to the Cambridge Hotel soon.

Steven Gargano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2010

We stayed at the Cambridge for two weeks and was really delighted with the room we were given The room had a balcony with a view of the city and the Opera House, a small kitchenette with a microwave and fridge, television and a/c. The room was clean and tidy with sheets and towels changed daily. The reception staff were really friendly and always asked if everything was ok. They also made bookings for excursions, taxis and airport transfers for us. The front desk manager, Adam and general manager Steven made us feel really welcome and were always there when we needed them. The hotel also has a swimming pool, restaurant and bar. Oxford Street, a three minute walk from the hotels has a number of restaurants, bars, clubs, supermarkets, banks, ATM's other shops. The city centre, China Town and Paddy's Market is only a 20-30 minute stroll from the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to couples and families and we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 13 December 2010
Dear Jags52

Thank you for your recent stay at the Quality Hotel Cambridge. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. It is our biggest desire to provide great service for our guest to maintain the highest standard of the hospitality industry.

I always find the most satisfaction in reading good comments about our staff. I’m incredibly proud of our team and their dedication to our guests. I do hope you’ll consider the Cambridge your home in Sydney and that you, your friends and family will return to us often.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

I just came across a note I took with the names of people who made our stay enjoyable, so even though it was Aug 2010 when we holidayed in Sydney, I want to add our praise.

We originially booked to stay only 3 nights, thinking we'd pick somewhere else for our last night once we'd worked out where everything was. But the staff and location were unbeatable! Our thanks to Daniella, Natalie Lereau - and especially to Bruno Dinis who moved things around a little so we could stay the extra night.

Nothing was too much bother. And each morning the friendly staff on the front desk showed interest in our plans for the day - and gave us tips to gets us where we wanted to go. A grocery store, pharmacist and bottle store were all in easy walking distance. As were the buses and trains.

Having never been to Sydney before, I couldn't believe how perfectly we'd fluked such a great place to stay :-)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear LaRosa_NZ,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at the Quality Hotel Cambridge. I appreciate hearing that we have exceeded your expectations. We take pride in offering our guests the service and accommodations that are expected and deserved. I have passed on your wonderful comments in regards to our staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our property and wish you and your family a safe and blessed holiday season.

Warm Regards

Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

I write this review with some hesitation. I feel like I want to keep this gem of a hotel all to myself, and in fact on my most recent trip to Sydney it was completely booked out and I had to stay elsewhere. But that would not be fair. It is overwhelmingly refreshing to come across a genuinely good hotel in Australia - providing both a great service and at fair price. Something that is hard to find in the Sydney hotel market.

Tucked just a few minutes away from one of Sydney's best eating and going out hubs, Crown St, this hotel is in superb location. There are literally dozens of great restaurants and a fair few good bars and hotels to satisfy most people's appetite. In addition to Crown St, the hotel is a short walk away to Oxford St and its infamous appeal. In addition to this both bus services to Bondi, and the Museum train station are nearby. So access to the rest of Sydney's sights are a breeze.

The hotel lobby area is very tastefully done out, and the bar at the back of hotel looks very swanky. The hotel check-in process was fairly speedy and efficient and the staff were very pleasant, and I noticed them giving extensive help to an elderly couple also checking-in. The room itself was once again a nice spacious room with very comfortable beds. The decor of the room was fairly modern and there was a flat-screen television along with foxtel. The bathroom had recently been renovated and was in very good condition.

I noticed the hotel did have room service, restaurant, internet, and swimming pool facilities, but I was too busy out enjoying Sydney to make use of these.

After checking out I realised I had left an important valuable item in the room. After going back to the hotel the staff were very helpful in retrieving this for me.

There is no doubt that on visiting Sydney again that this hotel would be my first choice, but sadly for me I've noticed that this hotel is becoming very popular (and for good reason) and so the availability of rooms is down and prices are creeping up.

Just across from the hotel there is a very good Irish bar worth visiting, and a new cafe called 'Robocog' on the same st does a truly great breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 30 November 2010
Dear peder182,

Thank you very much for writing those wonderful comments. We would also like to thank you for choosing the Quality Hotel Cambridge, for your recent stay again.

We are delighted that we met your expectations; it definitely motivates us to maintain and improve our standard of service and hospitality. Our team is always striving to achieve the highest of guest satisfaction.
In the future, we are really happy to be so busy, please don’t hesitate to contact me or our reservation team, if you have any difficulties with making a booking in our hotel.

Once again, thank you very much for the great feedback, we will always be waiting to welcoming you, your family and your friends back home to The Quality Hotel Cambridge in the very near future. In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistant to you please feel free to contact me at anytime.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2010

We stayed at the Cambridge for 2 nights and We are so pleased that we wanted to let everyone know about this hotel

The Cambridge is just around the corner from The Winery, Crown Street and Hyde Park. There are heaps of fashionale boutiques, trendy cafes, wine bars and restaurants. It's situated in the best part of Surry Hills

Surry Hills is fast becoming the
SoHo of Sydney. The hotel is also an easy 10 minutes walk to the new Westfield in the city. It's a wonderful place to stay if you are looking for value and something different and trendy

The young staff were very friendly; the room was large and very clean ; most of all the bed was heaven

Overall we loved the hotel - we prefer to stay here than the city as we were experiencing the real Sydney life style and lived amongst the locals

• Stayed November 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 29 November 2010
Dear Lucca888,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience during your stay. We were delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our hotel.
It definitely motivates us to maintain and improve our standard of service and hospitality. Our team is always striving to achieve the highest of guest satisfaction. I have passed on your great comments to the staff and hope to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards

Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

The Quality Hotel Cambridge is a great place to launch your stay in Sydney - We walked to most places in thecity and enjoyed the experience greatly - A great place - clean and so easy ..

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear wpiper,

Thank you for sharing your experience with our hotel.
It is through guest feedback that we know what we are doing correctly and where we need to improve.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.
We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

The Cambridge is a spotlessly-renovated property, and its location in Surrey Hills is very convenient for walking around Sydney. It looks like a 1960's tower - about 14 stories. It's a longish (but pleasant) walk to Circular Quay or The Rocks, but not so far to Hyde Park. There are lots of good restaurants in the surrounding areas of Darlinghurst and Surrey Hills.
We stayed three nights - the first in a very small but adequate room. We were then moved into a balcony room which was really quite spacious and much better.
It's $20 for 24 hours of internet connection, which is an irritation, but still quite a fast and efficient service. Hotel staff seemed to be mainly young and international.
It's not all perfect - There is a slightly cramped feel to the lobby, the corridors and the lifts - all pretty small and tight, and can get crowded. Still, at a very reasonable price, in an excellent location, and with friendly and efficient staff - a good deal overall.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dear Bluey99,

Thank you for your decision to stay in our hotel.
We would also like to thank you for the time that you have spared in writing your wonderful comments toward our hotel. We were delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our hotel.

I have noticed your comment in regards to the internet charge; it is our biggest goal to satisfy our guests with fair rates to provide a great value for money. As most hotels in Sydney we are not able to included the internet service in those rates and still maintain the same affordable rates.

I have passed on your comments to all staff and we hope to see you again soon at the Quality Hotel Cambridge.