“Nice rooms, great staff and location”
Review of Vibe Hotel Sydney

Ranked #73 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Cambridge
“Nice rooms, great staff and location”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Second stay here and again, great staff, clean rooms and good location.

The rooms are good and certainly big enough. The gym and pool are fine for what they are and the restaurant fine for a light snack. It feels a busy hotel which is no surprise and I'df certainly opt for there again.

My only complaint, and it is a biggie, is that WiFi is not included. It seems this is fairly standard in Oz, but come on guys, if you really want to set yourself apart from your competitors, offer free WiFi. We're in the 21st century, and if cafe's around the corner can offer it for free, so can you!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear Cocoda-Cambridge,

Thank you for your feedback about Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are delighted that you have come back to stay with us and that you enjoyed our facilities overall.
I have some great news for you in regards to the WIFI option. Vibe Hotel Sydney now offers every guest 30 mins free internet access in the lobby every day. This is a new added feature that we hope will satisfy our guest needs as this has been requested for quite some time.
We hope that all our guests will enjoy this new free option.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future and should you need anything in the meantime then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Vibe Hotel Sydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed here with a group of 8 ladies in total and we had two quad rooms - there was only one quad on each floor but not a drama at all. Nice clean rooms, comfortable beds and buffet breakfast was part of our room rate.. We weren't told that on check in so maybe ask to check, it was a pretty reasonable $20 if not part of the room rate from memory.
Our plan was to head to Jamies Italian for a celebration dinner but hadn't been able to book a table so tried out luck on a walk in but it was a busy night so since we had already taken a cab to that end of town, we ended up having dinner at the Radisson hotel which was quite and nice and they had a special prix fixe menu was also reasonable at $35 for two courses, and and they could accommodate 8 with no booking which was a relief.
There is also a great bottle shop up from the Vibe on Elizabeth street called the Oak Brrel Liquor shop and overnight parking is cheap of around $25 on a Saturday night across the road at the secure parking at goulburn street. Oh and they let us pay individually for our room cost split across the group which was handy.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank nientetutti
Dear Nientetutti,

Thank you for your feedback about Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are very happy to hear that you and all your friends enjoyed your stay with us.
We try to be as flexible as possible in regards to how you can settle your bill in the end of your stay and it is good to hear that this was handy to you all.
We hope to see you all again very soon and should you need anything in the meantime then please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

gulmarrad
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Very handy to rail stations darling harbour areas .Plenty of places to eat and drink.Great part of city.We arrived back from Melbourne cup cruise early .They let us book in and stored our luggage till we returned

Room Tip: We had a room over looking goulburn st very spaces
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Trevor R,
Thank you for your kind feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you like our location.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Vibe Hotel Manager
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of an AAT Kings tour. Despite our request for a double room we were placed in quite a small twin room. After speaking to reception about this housekeeping arrived and zipped the beds together to make a queen size bed. Fine.

The next problem was encountered when filling the bathroom sink with water, the bathroom was suddenly awash with water leaking from a huge crack in the sink. Reception called, a man appeared and said that the fault had already been reported and then he disappeared! A lady from reception arrived later and gave us keys to another room. This room was almost twice the size of the first one, but once again made up as a twin room, another call to reception and this was resolved by housekeeping. This room was very comfortable and clean.

The next morning we went for our 'included breakfast' only to be told we were not on the list but to have our breakfast anyway and it would be sorted out.

The morning after this we made our way to breakfast only to be told the same story, and again on our final morning. The breakfast was very good, quite a variety on offer and with the novelty of a pancake machine. On the downside on all three mornings the staff were not completely ready to serve breakfast when doors opened, no bread to toast, no coffee in the machine etc. This was sorted during the meal.

On check-out we were told we owed for one mornings breakfast - we told them otherwise in no uncertain terms. We are waiting to check our credit card statement to ensure we have not been subsequently charged.

The rooms were nothing exceptional, the location of the hotel not great but within walking distance of the Botanical Gardens and the main shopping area, if you are used to walking.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Grandmafrog,
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and breakfast but sad to hear you had issues with the first room you were in as well as not being recognised as a prepaid guest at breakfast. We would like to apologise for that as we really are working on getting that aspect right in the operation.
I am uncertain to why you would need to complain as you write; we seem to have managed to fix your issues although it was unacceptable they were there in the first place.
I hope you give us another chance in the future as we would like to invite you back again.

Conwy, North Wales
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Just returned home from a week here spent sightseeing around Sydney. Great central spot to explore from with handy access to buses including the free shuttle bus and trains. Main places of interest and Circular Quay to catch ferries within 20 minutes walking distance. Friendly and helpful service. Clean and well kept room which was quite large and had an apartment feel to it. Shame that wifi is so expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear richiesoft,

Thank you for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are pleased to hear that you liked the room and you found it large and clean.
Our location is very central and we are in the middle of everything so you are never far from any of the large attractions our great city has to offer.
I really appreciate your feedback in regards to the WiFI and we are changing this very soon in our public areas. This will mean that our guests will be able to get free WIFI for a 30 mins when they stay with us. We will be advertising this publicly as this change occurs in the near future.
We look forward to seeing you again soon and should you need anything in the meantime then please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed at the Vibe Sydney for a week in October and it exceeded my expectations. Arrived quite early and the room wasn't ready yet which was a bit sad. But the very friendly receptionist offered me a coffee at their cafe and seemed to do her best to speed things up "behind the scenes". About 30 min. later I got my keys! Very nice.

My room was on level 5. And it felt more like a small inner city apartment than your average hotel room. A home away from home.

The Vibe is a very friendly, casual yet well-designed and professionally managed hotel with excellent value for money. What also stood out was the team, both at the reception and the restaurant, always all smiles and happy to help. Would recommend the Vibe's restaurant for dinner. Had a very nice tuna steak with a great New Zealand Sauv Blanc and a great Wagyu beef steak with quite a lovely Merlot (forgot where from, but the hotel supported a charity with the wine, thumbs up!).

If anything the hotel could improve breakfast buffet variety and atmosphere in the restaurant at nights. The menu and the staff would deserve it!

Thank you for a great stay!

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear UpperClovelly,
Thank you kindly for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the room and also dined with us in the restaurant and found the food and beverage quality of a great standard.
Our buffet is due for a makeover and the appearance will also change shortly. Hopefully this will give a better impression to all our guests of the breakfast room.
The atmosphere in the cafe at night will also change shortly with are more inviting feel.
Our new F&B manager has great plans in turning this space into a cosy and inviting area where everyone will feel welcome and want to go for dinner at night.
I will make sure to share your review with the team at our team meeting next week as we can certainly learn from your experience.
Once again thank you kindly for your feedback.
We hope to see you soon again at Vibe Hotel Sydney.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Hotels are interesting places. I started and finished my stay at the Vibe in Sydney with an argument. I find the attitudes towards guests vary wildly - some are delighted to have guests, others are contemptuous and seem to do everything possible to ensure you don't come back. Ever. The attitudes don't seem to bear any relationship to the number of stars or the price of a room.

On arrival at the hotel, I discovered they wished to "hold" or "pre-authorise" $200 on my credit card and take a copy of my driver's licence. The $200 would not be available again on my credit card until "at least" 24 hours after checking out. This last part is blamed on the banks.

I stay in a lot of hotels and understand the need for personal details and some kind of security. As a matter of principle, I will not allow money to be held on my credit card if it is more than $1. I'd prefer to leave a cash security deposit which can be refunded instantly.

After some wrangling I managed to negotiate $25 to held on my credit card and $175 to be paid via EFTPOS. When it was done, the man who was serving me (the duty manager) "accidentally" the transaction through as a purchase on the credit card. He then refunded it and put it through again as a pre-authorisation. The interesting thing about this is that they all come up as a debit on the credit card and therefore $50 had been debited to the credit card. I had negotiated for $25 out of the credit card because that was the amount of available credit on the card. The manager's mistake put me over the credit limit. Thanks very much. It has taken three days for the reversal to come through on the actual card.

On enquiring about breakfast later in the evening I was asked if I'd like to book for the buffet. I asked if that was necessary and was informed that breakfast without a booking costs $29, but with a booking it costs $20. Lucky I checked.

I was upgraded to a junior suite and it is great to have extra other than the bed. That's an appreciated gesture, but doesn't remove my concerns about the hotel's credit card policy.

The most interesting and bizarre aspect of the conversation I had with the duty manager was his statement that the credit card policy is designed to keep me safe! When I asked him to explain this he muttered something about being a "CBD hotel" with people coming an doing. He was very displeased when I used the term "better class of guest".

Checking out was a very complex and fraught experience. Firstly there were extra breakfasts and dinners and items from the mini bar which I had not incurred. Then they tried to subtract the $25 credit card charge from the cash deposit I had left! (They reduced the cash deposit from $175 to $150 on the bill before deducting all the phantom charges.)

It pays to check the bill in detail before you pay. I've noticed that hotels often ask for payment and then you get a receipt. After a few bad experiences I now ask to see a printed bill which I check before I pay. It means they have to print two pieces of paper, but I don't think it's reasonable to ask for payment without providing details.

I think it's quite revealing that the staff at the hotel were put in a position where they were apologising for the hotel's credit card policy and agreeing that it is onerous and unfair. The cutest part of all is that the bill will automatically be paid with the credit card provided on check in. That attracts a 1.5% surcharge regardless of the card used.

Once settled I asked for the copy of my driver's licence to be returned to me and left as quickly as I could.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Dear littleedlo

Thank you very much for your time and your feedback in regards your recent stay at Vibe Hotel Sydney.
Upon arrival we informed you that require and credit card and that we will complete a preauthorization on your card.
As we informed you on check in your travel agent is aware of that and should have informed you as the booking was made by your agent. Unfortunately it is out of our control how third parties communicate terms & conditions with their customers.
We do understand that you prefer a cash bond, but our policy clearly states that a credit card is required. As a courtesy to you we made an arrangement for a cash deposit instead and we were going to make a preauthorization for the $ 25.00.
We are very sorry that we charged the card and we do apologize for this occurring but it happened accidentally. We picked this up straight away and we fixed it and explained this to you on the desk at the time.
We are sorry that the reversing of the $25-hold caused an inconvenience to you and that you were not happy about the process we are using every day with all our guests.

Security of our guests is very important to us and I’m sorry that you do not agree that a credit card policy is part of this.
We did explain that to you in more detail upon check in as well. We were shocked about the comment you made in regards to “better class guests” as all guests in our hotels in our opinion are people of the same value.

I’m sorry to hear about your check out experience. An info invoice is always provided and
our reception team goes through the invoice with our guests to make sure everything is correct before we charge anything.
Mistakes do happen and we’re more than happy to fix them. we clearly reject that we tried to
defraud you and we find your comment invalid as we follow our company rules as explained to you at check in.
It is also not true that the payment will automatically be paid with a credit card. If you prefer to pay cash or EFTPOS on check out you do not have to pay a 1.5 % surcharge and this was also explained to you upon check in.

We will most certainly get in contact with your travel agent as this situation could have been avoided if you would have been informed by them at the time you made your booking. In the future you need to be aware that hotels do have clear policies of preauthorizations and the amounts may vary depending on where you are in the world.
It would be great to welcome you back in the future, and should you choose us again then we would be delighted to have you as our guest.