“Overall very happy”
Review of Vibe Hotel Sydney

Vibe Hotel Sydney
Ranked #77 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed a week for business. Queen Room was really spacious and clean, with couch, coffee table, desk etc and plenty of room to move. Bed was comfy and place was surprisingly quiet. Great central location to everything I needed, staff were friendly and helpful. Nothing to complain about at all.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank pinkbellee
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest

We appreciate your positive review, thank you for taking the time to write it. We hope to see you again when you are in Sydney.

Jo Jenkins

Write a ReviewReviews (3,303)

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

3rd stay at the Vibe during an annual business trip to Sydney.

Nice ambience in the lobby and rooms spacious and clean enough.

However my biggest gripe, as always, is the lack of free wifi. Guests get 30 mins free in the lobby, but the speed is terrible. On my last night the server was down and staff refused to simply unplug it, wait a moment and reboot.

Guys, this is the 21st century, please provide free wifi. It's no excuse to say other hotels don't do so, you should be doing so.

You're a modern hotel, with conference facilities close to the CBD of a world city. It's called 'competitive advantage'.

The lack of decent free wifi is the hotel's only failing really, but it is a major, major failing.

Sort it out before my next visit please

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Cocoda-Cambridge

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I needed a hotel near City Centre and picked this one because it had wifi and an airport shuttle (every booking site indicates this). When I called from the airport, they said they can only book a shuttle if you arrange a day in advance and if it's before 7pm when you arrive... AND it's not complimentary. I took the train and had to lug my valise up many flights of steps at Museum stop, then had to guess which direction the hotel was. Reception staff, including the manager, were not polite or efficient.
The hallways look like it's a former dormitory and someone is still having cart races and scratching up the walls and doors. The room was fine, as long as I took the card from room to room to get light. Three out of three lamps were broken (shade, lightbulb, stem). The faucet knob fell off when I turned it. The tub had mildew, smoking stains and a crooked faucet. The toilet gave out loud burps for three minutes after each flush of the bolt on the wall.
The furniture was stained (fish & chip grease and heaven knows what else). The bed was comfortable, and after digging a duvet out of the cupboard to warm up, I finally found the thermostat the following morning.
The pool upstairs (up a flight of stairs) was tiny and cute, but you have to go right through the smoking area to access it (ashtrays on either side of the doorway).
Internet exists, but it's an extra charge in the room and barely works. Downstairs, there's either a $6/hour kiosk or very weak complimentary signal (30 minutes only per stay).
When I went downstairs to confirm my shuttle the following morning, it had NOT been booked, though I'd gone through their exercise of confirming that I would pay again. (NOT complimentary) I booked again and specifically asked that my room be accessible for late check-out. I was locked out when I returned, and while I dealt with running up and down, the booked shuttle left.
The only bright spot in this hotel is a young man called Arlo, who is polite and efficient and solved the airport transport issue.
The coffee in the cafe is weaker than American coffee. I didn't try the food, though the menu looked reasonable for Sydney. Go down the street to Love Bites!
The hotel is in a good location, but the cleanliness, false advertising and rude, inefficient staff make it simply not quite right. Stay only if you're willing to pay for shuttle (arranged before 7pm the day before!) and wifi and to tolerate stained and broken furnishings.

Room Tip: Another hotel?
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank delraycat
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear delraycat

Thanks for your feedback and for completing a review.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay and you are welcome to call me or email me to discuss in further detail.

WIth thanks

Reviewed 25 November 2013

If you are looking for a central but reasonably priced hotel with just the right number of mod cons and walking distance to most things (the other side of the CBD to the main tourist attractions but closer to Pitt St and George St offices) this is fine. It's not fancy but everything works and the service is friendly. Internet quite expensive but this seems to be how things work in Sydney. Breakfast is a small buffet but has everything you need.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Bennelong

Many thanks for taking the time to review Vibe Sydney. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you when you are next in Sydney.

Joanne Jenkins

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here for a hen’s night recently and had 3 rooms booked. I called up that morning and requested for 1 particular room to be ready before the other two so we could check in early, was told over the phone that would be fine. When I arrived only 15 minutes before normal check in time that room was the only one not ready and the front desk staff were extremely rude and unhelpful about it. We had a lot of luggage and were told we had to load the trolley up ourselves and then had to wheel it to our room ourselves. When we asked if someone could come and collect it we were told no - we had to bring it back down ourselves. When other guests started to arrive for the other rooms we booked they all commented on how rude the staff were to them, long waits and then they served other people in front of them even if they were first. Very rude and unhelpful staff, would not recommend

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Clare D
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest

I am very sorry you don't seem to have enjoyed your stay. Please contact me if you wish to discuss further.

We appreciate your feedback.

Jo Jenkins - jjenkins@toga.com.au

Reviewed 17 November 2013

staying at this hotel ruined our vacation... the hotel managers are no where to be seen and front desk is operated by a group of what looks like school girls...no one is in charge and no responsibility is taken by anyone.
As an organisation they have poor front desk skills, poor responce to requests for towels, extra blankets etc. Bar closes early and breakfast lacks inspiration.
strongly recommend not to stay at this hotel as it is a disappointment from check in to check out

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank daisybuckl

Dear Valued Guest

We appreciate your feedback.

Jo Jenkins - jjenkins@toga.com.au

Reviewed 17 November 2013

20 minute walk to China Town and Darling Harbour with 100's of restaurants
Very comfortable hotel with kettle and coffee
Would recommend hotel
Our room overlooked the main road but had secondary glazing so room was surprisingly quiet

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple