“This hotel gouges it's customers”
Review of Vibe Hotel Sydney

Vibe Hotel Sydney
Ranked #78 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I am currently a guest at The Vibe and am writing this now even though my stay doesn't end until 2/11. Let me start with the good things. The hotel is clean, trendy, and in a great spot. The rooftop pool is extremely small but very cute. Fitness center same... Small but adequate. The location is within the 3.5 sq miles of Sydney so tou can walk to everything and/ or hop outside and across the street catch public transportation. Ok, good things stop.
Bad - the hotel gouges it's customers on everything. The Internet is $24.95 for 24 hours so I'm actually writing this from the FREE wi-fi on George St... 4 blocks away. A bottle of water is $6.50 and to dry clean a dress shirt is $26. I've never in my life seen prices like this. Also, our view is of an abandoned building with broken windows... Not my dream view for my honeymoon. We got a 2-twin bed room, obviously their error, and it took an hour for someone to come up and "fix" this... Yes, they simply pushed them together to make our "king". We called for a bucket of ice and they were out of buckets! Therefore, we had to walk down to the bar and get a martini shaker full of ice. If we would have had it sent up, it was $3. Also, be prepared to pay a bond when you arrive. It is supposed to be refundable. Ours was $100.
So, this is my info I have for now. I've only been here one night and I hope it gets better as we have 5 more ahead of us!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
NikTK88, Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2015

Dear jm5050909,

Management.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,300)

Reviewed 4 February 2011

Pros
- Service at front desk was very friendly
- Baggage delivery to room was prompt (note I traveled with a large tour group)
- Room size were quite large
- Shower water pressure was strong
- Room decor was modern

Cons
- Internet priced at $25/24 hour was quite expensive, even if it was fast
- Breakfast buffet priced at $28, but selection was quite limited, with no cooking station
- Beds were quite firm, not easy for a comfortable sleep
- I can hear some subtle noise from the cars moving outside
- European style shower half-glass partition, which means water splashed to bathroom floor during shower
- Views were poor, generally street view

Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank kceesse

Dear kceesse,

Reviewed 31 January 2011

Upon arrival I was informed by another guest departing, "Check your Bill, I'm serious, make sure you check". I thought nothing of it , but now understand. Reservations were great. Easy to deal with. However upon arrival they told me I could fill out paperwork while dropping off bags, then tried to charge the full amount of accomodation to my card. I said why would you charge my card when I just explained I would be paying by eftpos? That started several problems such as the following; the staff were useless, had to ask several times for two keys for 4 guests!, the bathroom was mouldy, footprints on the walls, no compendium, the pool area was closed for the evening, there was no minibar list, the room for four was tiny and ($325), I was charges $20 to borrow scissors!
It was the worst stay in a so called quality hotel I have ever experienced. I wrote them a letter via their contact form asking for any explanation, but of course received no reply.
I suggest you don't waste your money. There are so many other lovely hotels in Sydney where they will make you feel welcome for your investment.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Gillishwinder, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2011

Dear SteveandTaniaCarr,

I am very disappointed that at this occasion you guys did not enjoy your stay.
I will be addressing these issues with the relevant department heads.
Please contact me at the hotel if you would like to discuss this matter further.
We thank you for your honest comments which present us an opportunity to improve.

Reviewed 26 January 2011

I spent 3 days at the Vibe and overall was quite happy with my stay.

I enjoyed the location as it is very close to George Street and the main CBD, as well as close to Hyde Park and a short walk ( 10-15 mins) to the botanical gardens and the national Art Gallery.

The hotel itself was fine. 8 floors of rooms. I changed my initial room due to outside noise and very loud airconditioning, ( 8th flloor corner room). I moved to the 7th floor with a view of a derelict builidng, but that was fine for me, as i tend to close the curtains anyway and i had been prewarned that it was at the back of the builidng, The room was smaller than my original room, but .....QUIET! So , i was very happy. It appeared clean and i was happy overall.

Most of the guests that i happened to chat to seemed very happy also. The staff were always very obliging and when i complained about my original room, i was treated with courtesy and not "a pain in the neck". So full marks there.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank hemikiwi

Dear himikiwi,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for complementing the team on our customer service. We do try our best to accommodate all our guest needs at the hotel.

Reviewed 26 January 2011

My daughter and I were looking for somewhere a bit upbeat to stay while she was doing a course on comedy. We chose this one on the title. The rooms were a little run down, but clean and spacious, and did have a happy vibe. I stayed in the room during most of the day, working, and found myself very comfortable and happy. The separation between the wardrobe and the sleeping area was helpful in giving us more space and privacy. The staff were nice.
The location was handy to stations, shops, restaurants and cinemas.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank JulzE

Dear JulzE,

Reviewed 19 January 2011

When me and my husband first walked into the Vibe we immediately knew we had made the right choice. Clean, sparkling and spacious lobby. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful when asked for good places to see and eat at. We stayed on the 5th floor and had a spacious clean room with very modern facilities. Dining at the curve cafe was a great experience. The manager has obviously done a great job with his staff because they were so efficient and paid every attention to detail. It's nice to have a waiter to laugh with and make you feel at home away from home. Food was worth the money spent. After a long day of shopping at the world square which is located 2 mins walking distance from the Vibe we walked upstairs to the swimming pool and felt so relaxed. The pool could not be in a better location, far away from the street noise and located out doors, we felt far away from the world which is what we need on a holiday. I have never been so satisfied with a hotel before this. When we come back to Sydney we are definitely staying here again and next time we will bring our friends too. Vibe Hotel Sydney should to be a 5 star hotel!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lorry77
Gillishwinder, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2011

Dear Lorry,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for sharing your great comments about our service and the hotel team.

Reviewed 17 January 2011

I stayed for a week in early December for work. The hotel is located at Goulburn Street. The surrounding is just buildings. Being a foreigner and a 1st time visitor to Sydney, I found the place was safe and vibrant.

Around the hotel
-------------------------
Walk down the road, there is Chinatown and plenty of Japanese, Korean and fast food place. I even found a Malaysian eatery. There is cinema complex nearby and pubs every corner.

Transportation is easy. Plenty of cabs and Museum train station is nearby. There is a few convenience store nearby. Please avoid those and head to 7-11 as the those convenience store doesn't have a price tag on items and the prices varies by store.

Hotel
-----------------------
The hotel is clean and nice. Has a chic design and modern theme. After 11 PM, you have to use your key card in order to get into the hotel which is good security measure.

I had the a Queen size bed which was quite comfortable. The room was big with a large wardrobe. The room had a study table, a couch and a large LCD TV. The bathroom was big, clean and had a bathtub. Hot water is not an issue. Overall the room was quite comfortable.

Room Service
-----------------------
My study lamp was not working and I wrote a note to fix it and left it on the study table. I forgot to bring it to the receptionist the next morning. However when I can back to the room in evening, I found my note was missing and the light was fixed! Amazing service.

I had a few issues with my Internet connection and they were quite helpful in getting it fixed. The Internet can be slow at times or no connection, but it's ok most of the time. However for some reason Apple devices are unable to connect to their WiFi.

Breakfast
-----------------------
Some thing needs to improve its their breakfast spread. It's the same thing every single day. Try going early for breakfast, as this hotel tends to stock up on tour crowds. I do take pity on the waitresses trying to manage them and plates/food can run out some times.

Gym and Swimming Pool
-----------------------
There is a pool on the top floor, please do not expect a Olympic size pool. It's decent enough for few stroke. The gym is OK but has limited equipments.

Overall, the rooms are fine, service is good and perhaps the breakfast buffet needs to improve. Good place to stay, short or long term.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Ganee

Dear Mr. Ganee,

Thank you for your great comments regarding your experience at Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We will revisit our buffet food selection and explore opportunities to enhance our buffet breakfast.