“Really, really wonderful hotel”
Review of Hilton Sydney

Hilton Sydney
Ranked #37 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney
“Really, really wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Before checking into the Hilton Sydney for a vacation in the city, I was slightly apprehension. I have stayed in Hilton hotels in Europe and America and have loved the experience (see my other reviews) but my one other experience in Australia, while not unpleasant, was less than impressive (again I have reviewed it here). Fortunately, I was not disappointed. The Sydney Hilton ranks up there with the best of them and proved to be one of the nicest and most comfortable hotels in which I have stayed

The hotel itself has an upmarket, trendy and yet welcoming feel to it that is evident from the time you enter the lobby. The interior of the hotel is modern, flashy and hip and draws you in. The staff were professional, courteous and in most cases warm, polite and helpful to a fault and attended to all of my needs.

The geographic location of this hotel was probably the best that I could have asked for in Sydney and definitely the best in terms of convenience and ease of access in which I have ever stayed in Sydney. Everything you could possibly want -retail shopping, convenience stories, pharmacies, a wide diversity of ethnic cuisines, coffee shops, cafes, fast food, tourist attractions, bookshopss and so on -are either right on your doorstep or a stone's throw away. With the monorail next door (although not for much longer, since it is being scrapped by the state government) and Town Hall just a short walk away, transport is also well covered. I could not have dreamed of a better location

My room was everything you could want in a hotel room and quite possibly more -comfortable, spacious, luxurious, warm and welcoming with great lighting a nice interior (love the wood panelling) and with great views from the windows. The room itself had all the luxuries and amenities beyond what I expected and more with almost every need met and taken care of with great skill and care -definitely beyond and above what you'd expect in a hotel for this price and of this standard in luxury. The bed and the pillows were among the most comfortable and relaxing that I have slept on and I cannot say enough good things about the work space provided (the desk was not only very comfortable but it also had all the business accessories you could want (I was particularly impressed by the small container with writing paper, pens, elastic bands and an eraser) and the chair provided at the desk was one of the most comfortable I have ever used in any hotel worldwide -and I want one for my room at home! I can imagine a business traveller would love this hotel room and, as someone who loves surfing the Internet and writing and the like on my laptop, it was everything I could have asked for in a work space and much, much more (and the desktop light was great as well, -it lit up everything very nicely). I like the fact that the desk was facing the television, unlike in some hotels where you have to swivel around into awkward positions to watch the TV from the desk. The bathroom could have done with a bathtub (I love having a soak and a long relaxing bath while on holiday) but the shower it did have was very immaculately designed and yet easy to use and adjust and the idea of watching TV in the shower is a novel one. There was a great selection of in-room movies to choose from. The mini-bar was well-stocked but I did like the fact that they left you some space for your own products and the option of another fridge if you wanted to store more personal items (a very considerate gesture that most other hotels don't publicly offer). The hotel manual was very comprehensive and for the most part very helpful. I definitely miss my want to stay in the same room when I come back and will be taking note of its number. It was a pleasure and a very rewarding lifetime experience to stay in this room.

The cleaning staff were excellent and my room always looked so wonderfully fresh and beautiful and clean when they were through with it. I liked the “make up my room” and “do not disturb” buttons by the door which you could activate depending on what you wanted. The cleaning staff I dealt were very friendly and accommodating and were at pains not to bother you unnecessarily.

The hotel has numerous bars, a coffee shop and a restaurant. I will not review the restaurant here because I intend to write a separate review -suffice to say that it was a very pleasant dining experience with wonderful staff, even if the food was slightly pricey.

There were a few minor aspects where there was room for improvement

Firstly, although the desk in the room was conveniently situated opposite the TV so you could watch it easily, it was too close to the bed so that it partially restricted access to the side of the bed that was right next to the table. I would recommend moving the table slightly more away from the bed, which could be done without affecting the overall position of the work desk in the room or the excellent position of the desk in relation to the television

Secondly -and this is a major issue -I am resigned to the fact that Australian hotels insist on charging money for in-room internet access which most American hotels provide for free (although in all fairness to the Hilton, I recognize that they do this in most of their hotels worldwide so I'm not going to give them as much of a hard time as I do when writing reviews for other Australian hotels). But if you're going to charge approximately $30 per day for Internet access, you should make sure that you provide an internet connection that works properly. Quite a few times I found that the internet access was suddenly cut off -albeit usually for short periods of time -and that proved very frustrating. I can imagine it would be even more frustrating for business travellers

Thirdly, I was slightly bemused to find that the Hilton hadn't set my radio clock in my room to accommodate daylight savings, meaning that my clock was one hour slow. It caused me to make one or two misjudgements about my time but was more a source of amusement for me than anything else. I can imagine that business travellers and people coming here from interstate/overseas who are unfamiliar with Australian time might have less of a sense of humour about it

None of this, however, detracted from the absolute pleasure and privilege of staying here. This is truly a hotel that meets and exceeds international standards and, as I've said, ranks among the best I have stayed in. Everything about it -the geographic location, the staff and the rooms -makes this a great hotel and gave me an experience and memories that I will cherish as well as filling me with a strong desire to return. I cannot recommend it highly enough

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank OL1981
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Thank you very much for your in-depth review about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your experience with us and I appreciate your feedback.

In relation to the adjustment of the time displayed on the radio-clock in your room, this is unfortunately a manual process undertaken by our Housekeeping team and could only be completed upon guest checkout. We sincerely regret any inconvenience caused and appreciate your understanding.
I have also noted your preference for a bathtub in your room and therefore you may opt for one of our Deluxe rooms in future, which features a four-point bathroom, sure to please.

Thank you again for your time and feedback and we look forward to seeing you again at Hilton Sydney very soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

The best thing about this hotel is its staff, very friendly and polite. The hotel is also very clean and overall very pleasant. However, I would only rate it at about 4 stars. We stayed in a king deluxe room on one of the top floors so it was quiet. The negatives that I noticed is that windows cannot be opened and I prefer fresh air if it’s not too hot/too cold outside. Also there are only thin light coloured curtains on the windows and at night they do not block all the light from the office building opposite the hotel. So if you are a sensitive sleeper I would definitely advise to take an eye mask for sleeping (you don’t need to switch the light on at night to see the room clearly as it’s really bright). Another negative is that the bed was made up of two smaller beds put together and you can definitely feel the ridge in the middle. The bed was also very firm for my liking. Unfortunately I didn’t have a good night sleep due to the above, but probably no issues for less sensitive sleepers!

Good location, close to Darling Harbour (a couple of mins on monorail which stops right outside the hotel and costs $5 one way) and a walking distance to the Rocks.

I booked the hotel directly via hotel's website and it was exactly the same price as on the discounted websites - lastminute etc but without a booking fee!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was delighted to read that you were pleased with the standard of service from our friendly team and that you enjoyed our location. However, should you require additional block-out blinds in future, you may be pleased to know that all rooms are equipped with electronic blinds which completely block out all light from the outside. These can be accessed and operated via the ‘Blind’ buttons at the bedside panel.

Many thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I was given a gift voucher (not a group buy voucher) to have a hot stone massage at the Alysium Spa at the Hilton Sydney.

When I rang to make the booking, the gentleman on the phone was incredibly polite and I was very much looking forward to the promised 5 star experience.

Upon arrival at the Hilton, I was directed through the lobby and into the fitness centre next door. Unfortunately, as the Alysium spa is attached to the fitness centre and not the hotel itself, you need to sign into the gym to be able to receive your treatment. They do allow you to use the facilities prior to your treatment, although I was not able to take advantage of this.

The day spa is at the back of the fitness centre and very temporary looking. I arrived 15 minutes early for my appointment and there were no staff in reception and none came, even after a second client entered the spa.

After about 10 minutes (5 minutes before my appointment time) a young lady came and sat at the front desk and ignored both of us who were waiting. After 5 minutes of browsing the computer, she called the other client’s name and asked her to complete a form. At no time did she look at me or ask if I had been attended to. She then accompanied the other client into one of the treatments rooms.

At the time of my appointment, a gentleman (who I later learned was my masseuse) came to the desk and asked to see my gift voucher. He then explained that it had expired (apparently they only have a six month validity period and not 12 months as I assumed, my fault for not reading the voucher properly). He offered to provide a 60 minute treatment rather than the allotted 90 minute treatment and this was fine with me as I had not realised I was entitled to 90 minutes. I would have preferred that they contacted me with this information prior to the appointment, though. They had requested my voucher number when I made the appointment so they would have known of this in advance.

Ten minutes later (now 10 minutes after my appointment time) the first lady staff member came back out and sat at the desk again, still seeming to be unaware that I was waiting. I waited five minutes and then finally asked her how long the wait was going to be, as it was now 15 minutes after my appointment was supposed to commence. She replied with ‘soon’.

Shortly afterwards, the male masseuse came and ushered me into a treatment room. I asked if I would have to fill in a form (as I presumed all clients had to) and his response was ‘Yes, but quickly’ (never mind the fact I had been sitting there for 25 minutes which would have been ample time to complete the form!)

The massage was average. Unfortunately there was not enough pressure or care and at no time did the masseuse ask. I was also a bit disappointed that I had not been asked whether I preferred male or female masseuse.

Right after he finished, he told me it was time to get dressed, there was no time to just lay for a couple of minutes and enjoy the (admittedly average) massage.

I checked the time while I was getting dressed and the total time of the treatment was 1 hour, including their set up time and the time it took for me to get undressed and dressed. When I returned to reception they did not offer water or anything at all so I left immediately.

If I had spent the $180 myself, I would have been sorely disappointed and I can only hope that they take on my feedback for future clients as I will not be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank mojito_jo1
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Thank you for your review following your experience at Alysium Day Spa.

Naturally, I was very disappointed to read about your unsatisfactory experience and I can understand your frustration over the matter. Please be assured I have personally addressed your comments with the Day Spa Manager and his team, to ensure we are consistently providing the five-star standard of service expected at this facility. I believe he has since been in contact with you to resolve the issue and I hope we will have the privilege of serving you again, in the not too distant future.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Melbourne
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Unfortunately I experienced a less than ideal check in late at night after a very long day. The room had been reserved with a corporate credit card from our head office but upon check in was asked to provide my personal credit card to pay for the room.

It was explained to me that the card used to hold the booking needed to be in my posession to actually charge for the room! I have never, ever, had this experience when travelling on a corporate card anywhere in the world. If the corporate card was accepted to confirm the room booking then it should have been charged accordingly upon check out. So the start to my stay at the Hilton was frustrating. (I'm sure there are a range of excuses from the hotel but none of them stack up as acceptable).

Then I head up to my room and find a rather loud whistling sound that made it impossible to relax let alone sleep. Pick up the phone and complain. Engineering come to the room and find that a water valve in the ceiling was to blame and fixed it (thanks to that fellow).

Finally able to get some sleep in what was quite a nice room. Clean and well appointed. Comfortable bed. Good views. Good location if you are after a CBD hotel.

Breakfast was a major disappointment for such a quality hotel. The usual buffet fare without any real effort to be anything different. The food was okay but I could have got it in any 3-4 star hotel and at these rates something better is expected.

It was all enough to convince me not to return to this property.

Room Tip: High floors give very good views across the CBD.
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Thank you for posting your comments following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I am sorry about the disappointments you experienced during your visit and I have taken your valuable feedback on board.

In relation to your credit card charges, I understand that our Front Office Management has been in touch with you regarding this matter; however, should you wish to contact us directly with any further feedback, please do not hesitate to do so.

Once again thank you for sharing your views with us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at some stage in the not too distant future.

Auckland.New Zealand
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Situated on George Street opposite central entrance to QVB and only 1/2 a block from the Townhall Rail Station, the Hilton is so easy to access from the Airport on the Express rail service (only $16 one way) and 25 minutes from boarding the train at the airport to walking in the door of the hotel. There are also lifts at the station right up to street level, so no need to heave luggage up the steps. Only one road junction with lights to cross, pavements are dipped, so luggage is again no problem.
The Hilton is modern and rooms are nicely presented though small. Our first room 3711, an Executive King Room was fine apart from the adjoining room door which was not sealed, so we could clearly hear the people next door talking and their TV, so requested a room change via the helpful ' Magic' team. Room 3919 was not an adjoining room, but was noisy from wind and traffic noise due to faulty window glazing( and via the air con vents so the wind noise was howling through the room), it was stormy and the linen blind was blowing about! The 'Magic' team requested another room change for us, but the duty manager was not so keen and took ages to respond. Following a less than professional response from this lady which I will not bother to detail ( this has since been taken up with Hilton international, who were upset about the poor experience we had with this lady), a new room 2821 was allocated and was fine. The faulty glazing in some of the windows is apparently being followed up. The bed was very comfortable as expected for Hilton Hotels.
The Executive lounge is excellent for a speedy breakfast, daytime soft drinks and snacks and afternoon tea, as well as canapes and early evening cocktails/drinks which are served for you. The Exec. lounge staff were all delightful, as were the reception and 'Magic' staff, Concierges, bell boys and maids.
The automatic drinks fridges are a pain, so check you don't get charged for something if you stick a bottle of wine or water in them, as they are weight sensitive- the reception staff are obviously used to the problem and were very happy to amend the bill. The frosted glass wall between the shower and bedroom looks very modern, but means there is little privacy as you are clearly silhouetted to whomever is in your room. Not sure everyone wants to be visible shaving their armpits or legs!!
The hotel is an easy stroll to all inner city shopping, Myers and David Jones just round the corner and QVB across rd and an easy 15 minutes walk to Darling Harbour and the Aquarium.The free Green city circle bus 555 stops just across the road from the hotel, outside QVB and goes down to Circular Quay every 10/ 15 min and the Townhall rail station can take you out to Bondi Junction in 15 minutes, or elsewhere, so you have the whole of Sydney on your doorstep.
Overall a great 3 night stay and will happily recommend this hotel and return there.

Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our location and your overall experience; and I appreciate your comments. Although, we deeply regret any inconvenience caused as a result of the issues you experienced in your original guestroom upon arrival and I have ensured that our Engineering team are aware of this.

Once again, thank you for your helpful and constructive feedback and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney very soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Hilton for a couple of nights over the long weekend and I was so impressed with the attitude of the staff. The hotel room was small but modern and very clean. The bathroom was fantastic the double shower and modern design was very impressive. Overall I was very impressed with the hotel.

The only two downsides was the automatic mini bar which meant we couldn't fit our own drinks in the fridge and was the price of the parking. Even though the hotel does offer a discount at the parking station I don't think $47.50 per night is much of a discount. We also had a few problems with the Wilson Parking attendant who overcharged us and was quite rude, I confirmed the costs and parking times with the Hilton staff and it was cleared up quickly but only with the help of the Hilton staff.

Thank-you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed April 2013
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you for placing your feedback on Trip Advisor following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

It was our pleasure to serve you and please be assured I have relayed your helpful comments to Secure Parking in relation to your experience, and we sincerely regret any disappointment caused as a result of this incident.

Once again, I appreciate your feedback and hope we will see you again soon.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Sydney for a week and thoroughly enjoyed everything about our visit. The room was very nice - high floor so it was very quiet. Decent sized room with a very modern design. Excellent Hilton beds and bedding. Modern bathroom with very nice finishes.
The only odd downside to the room was the mass of wires all tangled up that plugged into the desk area. Any time we wanted to find the cord that a light was on or a plug to charge something we had to dig for it. Not a big deal but a little annoying.
We were offered the Executive Lounge for breakfast or a full breakfast downstairs. We ended up just doing the lounge because the wide range of offerings were all we needed. Lounge staff were excellent - very polite, friendly and professional. They also offer tea time at 3 with some cakes, scones etc. This was the perfect time to regroup for a few minutes before heading back out. We were actually in Sydney for a convention but having everything so close by meant we got to do quite a bit of sightseeing as well. It is in the heart of the city with easy walking distance to a broad range of things to see and do. We had the bonus of some really spectacular weather so the whole trip was very enjoyable.
Thanks Hilton Sydney for an excellent stay. We will be back!

Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Many thanks for your pleasant feedback following your stay with us.

I appreciate your comments and was delighted to see that you were pleased with your overall experience at Hilton Sydney. We look forward to serving you again soon.