Hilton Sydney
  • Bar/Lounge
Very Good 4/5
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney(Sydney)
Average 3/5
Very Good 4/5
4,816 results
All reviewsthe executive loungeglass brasserierelaxation suitediamond memberqueen victoria buildinghealth clubpillow menutown hall stationgeorge streetstandard roommini barbusiness tripdarling harbourbuffet breakfastcentral locationrooms are smallcorner room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My wife and I stayed 3 nights earlier this week. Checkin was easy and the location is central, right in the middle of everything. For the first 2 nights our room was on the 24th floor. The room was cold at night even though the air temperature system was set to 24 degrees Celsius (the hottest setting) and we were both having to keep our jackets on while in the room before retiring to bed. We also both woke around 4-5am feeling cold. After two nights of this we asked if there was something they could do to warm the room. We'd initially asked for a fan heater or something similar but were told all loan heaters were in use already. Did this mean we weren't the only ones freezing in our rooms? An engineer came in to look at the air temperature system & after his second call back to the room, he found something wasn't working the way it should be. All staff were easy to deal with & tried their best to solve the problem. They then moved us on to the 43rd level. This room was still cold with the heating system set to the highest temperature possible. Also the shower pressure in this room was poor. Apart from that, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

We ate breakfast at the hotel every morning which was fantastic. I really enjoyed the various fruit juices & my wife enjoyed the various breads & pastries. The breakfast definitely exceeds other hotels I have stayed at with a similar rating. The gym, sauna & the pool is also great. This is free to use for guests. My wife & I both enjoyed using these facilities daily.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ATNZ
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Adviser following your recent stay at Hilton Sydney.

I do apologize for the inconvenience caused due to the shortcomings you experienced. Rest assured your comments have been shared with our Chief Engineer who is reviewing the air conditioning controls and will take the necessary action to rectify the problem.

I am otherwise delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

As a Hilton Diamond member since 2007, I have been thoroughly impressed by the consistency of Hilton hotels around the world. And whenever there is a question about policies, I have always found there to be reasonable staff and managers willing to answer questions and consider options to make a better experience. I've even stayed in some Hilton hotels which have failed to follow Hilton policy, due to a lack of knowledge, but where by simply asking the question, staff did their homework and promptly make amends.

Then there is the Hilton in Sydney, Australia. This is my first ever negative review. As someone who works in the travel industry, I am relatively tolerant of errors as I know the job is not as easy as it looks, so it takes a lot to get me to think poorly about a hotel. My experience with this hotel is by far the worst professional, business hotel experience I have had in over 40 countries around the world, across any brand - and that includes some low end spots I've stayed in during my earlier years.

It all starts with the pain and suffering of trying to make a booking by calling the hotel. Any seasoned traveller knows that if you need a long-stay, multiple rooms or are looking for a multi-day booking, you're better off calling the hotel because websites are poor at handling this. I was looking to book a stay for my team (professional management consultants working on a very long project). It took 6 calls and 3 emails by my client's secretary and by me before someone emailed back rates. And then the email had incorrect dates, incorrect preferences, and outrageous rates exceeding what is offered on Hilton.com. A polite email back asking why it took so long and still was incorrect was followed up by a response from the reservations manager. Now arrogant, with a take or leave it attitude, albeit finally with proper rates and dates. No apology for the hassles, no recognition of failure.

I refused to believe this was the normal experience at the hotel and decided to book anyway along with two members of the team, leaving the other half of the team in another location, just in case. And it gets worse. Wrong room, a welcome card in the room addressed to someone else (thank you for YOUR loyalty, and yet not referring to me - details). Poor service at the check-in desk along with an arrogant attitude - something I observed was normal at this hotel over the next 6 weeks.

I checked out for a few days for another trip and upon returning experienced more of the same. Checked-in at the executive lounge (where the staff are excellent). Was told, as before, that although I am a Diamond member, there are no upgrades available. I was booked into an executive floor room so I did not mind and I was checking in very late in the evening. Walking into the room, I find it had not been cleaned. Was missing all the basics, no soap, no shampoo, towels, etc (this is a 5 star Hilton). The friendly staff in the lounge apologized, called a manager and promptly informed me I would be moved to another room. Which turned out magically to be an upgrade. I asked why I wasn't given the upgrade before and was told, "At this hotel, we only reserve a small number of rooms for upgrade and only for guests staying 1 or 2 nights. That's the Hilton policy."

I checked with my contacts at Hilton HQ who confirmed this is not Hilton policy and that upgrades are 'space available at checkin'. nothing in the policy limits this to a handful of rooms and only for 1/2 night stays.

At the management cocktail, I informed the hotel GM and Dir of sales, who informed me this is one of the few corporate owned hotels and thus must follow the policy more strictly than others. But when told about the experience, they apologized for the service, but not for the onsite policy, which is in clear violation of Hilton policy.

It is a beautiful property, though the rooms feel utilitarian, almost as if it was built as an office building rather than a hotel. Even on the 38th floor, the street noise as well as noise from other rooms makes it difficult to rest. The breakfast is exceptional and some of the morning restaurant staff are great. Though there are a couple of rude and arrogant hosts/hostesses. Although it is rated one of the best restaurants in town, I would not eat dinner here. The service is extremely poor and arrogant. For a good steak, try the Westin instead, where the service is also impeccable. The lounge is nothing to write home about - inedible food and low quality beer/wine - full of people getting drunk every night and not at all relaxing.

I would not return and would highly recommend staying at any other hotel in Sydney. There are plenty of good choices and most are also more competitively priced.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, then a corner room or a relaxation room are a must. And as high a floor as possible to get away from the noise. Avoid anything smaller or on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank S A
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Too much disappointment to fill in 200 words but a rundown of a person who stays here numerous times got an hour waiting to get to our room. Given an 'access' room without requesting one. Then when finally switched to a normal room and so tired and starving. Valet called saying my car battery had 'died' in the middle of the damage checks chute and that I may need to call nrma....I'm stressing and thinking how is this possible. Firstly they had taken the car down it's not like it was left over night and they'd left something on in the car.

My partner has to shove down his food and go down. I eat my good alone. Turns out they'd done the damage check and locked the car with the remote and so them trying to turn it on then had immobilised the car. Anyway my partner went down and sorted it out. No apology from anyone no drink offered waiting in the foyer for over 30 mins. No apology it dinner was ruined. Nothing no room upgrade.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mandols
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you had a disappointing stay and that you were treated with an undesirable level of service following the incident with your vehicle. The issues you mentioned have been addressed with the team members concerned to ensure such an experience is not repeated.
Your satisfaction is important to us as we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and hopefully you will give us another chance and stay at Hilton Sydney sometime in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Hilton Hotel was a perfect venue for a night in town to celebrate our wedding anniversary! The central location of the Hilton Hotel cannot be beaten and rooms whilst small, provide all you need for a comfortable nights sleep in the heart of Sydney. Easy walk to Darling Harbour for dinner and spectacular breakfast table view Queen Victoria Building. Fantastic breakfast buffet and we especially appreciated the freshly squeezed vegetable or fruit juice choices! Thank you for the complimentary chocolates when hearing it was our anniversary - those thoughtful touches from a large chain hotel make the experience of staying there all the nicer. If you are wanting location, location, together with personal service then this hotel is second to none.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thanks for such a great review. It is really pleasing to read your comments and I shall share your feedback with the hotel team so that they may see how much you appreciated their services.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you plan a weekend stay in the city.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

In the centre of the CBD, very close to the sight-seeing locations and transport links. The hotel is very clean and modern. I found the service good and very helpful. Room a little small – we had a shower and bath in our room and you just didn’t need both as it made the bathroom a squeeze. The breakfast buffet was really good – you don’t need lunch. We had access to the Executive lounge. – great range of canapés and snacks, though the cocktail hours in the evening was very busy with people queuing up to get their ‘complimentary drinks – more like a busy bar than a tranquil lounge, but overall an enjoyable stay

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

I am very happy to hear that the staff took such good care of you and you found the amenities of the property to your liking. Hope to see you return soon! Safe travels.