“Nice stay, but I didn't love it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Sydney

Hilton Sydney
Ranked #35 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney
“Nice stay, but I didn't love it.”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

A friend and I stayed here for a night as a treat while we were in the city for a concert. We were excited to be staying here as The Hilton has such a good reputation. For the price, it's probably good value in the city. It's in a good location and the building is nicely designed, but I didn't leave feeling like I'd had a wonderful treat. To be honest, I left feeling underwhelmed, which was disappointing. I can't really pinpoint why though. I think the main part is that this is very much a business hotel, suitable for those travelling for work etc. and not so much for a girls weekend. The room was nice, it faced Centrepoint (Sydney) Tower and we could see out to the eastern suburbs and over the harbour. The shower had dual functioning as both handheld and overhead rain which was a nice luxury that I enjoyed. The provided bathroom products were a nice brand and lovely quality and the tv in the shower was an interesting addition, although a little odd and unnecessary. There was good hanging space in the wardrobe and the room didn't feel cramped, although it was on the smaller side. I was very grateful for the electronic blinds that you could adjust to completely block out the windows, as light disturbs my sleep and it would've been very sunny the direction the room was facing. The one problem was that I found the bed very uncomfortable, and woke up multiple times during the night with my back aching. Beds are very hit and miss I know, as everyone has their own personal preferences, but it was a disappointment as I was hoping I'd wake up feeling refreshed. I did like the complementary pillow menu that was delivered to us even in the early hours of the morning, along with extra toiletries that we had requested. The service was warm and efficient and I couldn't complain at all there. One thing though that I thought I would mention was the fact that the internal entrance to Zeta Bar was closed on Friday night when we attempted to enter through it, and when we asked reception why this was, we were told that the internal entrance is always closed on weekends and patrons have to use the public entrance. This made no sense to us at all, because surely the bar would be accessed more on the weekends by people staying there, hence you would have it open? Only something minor, but I guess when you are staying at a 5-star hotel, you expect their customer service to be impeccable, and closing the patron entrance and making them enter with the public and wait outside in the freezing cold just doesn't seem right. Perhaps this could be reviewed. All in all the stay was nice, but for the money, I would probably go somewhere else next time

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding Hilton Sydney.

I am delighted that you thought the service was warm and efficient and I shall share your comments with the team so that they know how much you appreciated them. I do regret however that you were disappointed with other aspects of your stay and I am truly sorry that you feel this way as our aim is to always provide an outstanding experience to all of our guests.

Your comments regarding Zeta Bar have been discussed with management; due to the popularity of this venue on weekends, for security reasons a decision was made to have one entry point which is the external one. We have taken your comments on board and will re-evaluate this for the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and hopefully we will have another opportunity of welcoming you sometime soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel has always maintained its high standards and this time it was no exception.

The slight difference I noticed this time around was the conceirge. They were much more friendlier and prepared to assist guests to the hotel. The person whom I forgot to take his name was I believe an Asian gentleman and his customer service was superb.

The location is ideal for anyone wanting to go shopping from the regular shops to the high end boutiques. They are all within walking distance.

Room Tip: The club lounge has good views and it might be worth your while to stay on the Executive floor as th...
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us here at Hilton Sydney, it is great that you found the standard of service to be excellent and that this really added to the experience of your stay.

Your comments regarding the Concierge department are most appreciated and I shall certainly share these with the team.

Once again, thanks, and hopefully we will see you the next time your travels bring you this way.

Dubbo, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

A great place to stay in this part of town, close to QBV and Darling harbour so great for that end of town, within walking distance. Great service with excellent staff. Food is nice and very fresh. Would recommend a vist.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thanks for the great review on Trip Advisor.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff, the facilities and central city location of the hotel met your expectations.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back again the next time you are in Sydney.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Firstly, the good stuff - the staff are friendly, informed and very attentive and nothing is a problem. The breakfast is amazing and, once again, the staff in the restaurant are really helpful and attentive.... thats kind of where the good points end and whilst there is nothing bad about the hotel it just felt a little lifeless, a little bit cold and sterile. The rooms are rather small and the lifts take an age to come. Also, we were travelling with a toddler and pressed the 'please make up room' button on a few occasions but the make up was never attended to.
Compared to great hotels overseas this would be considered a business type/travellers hotel.... nothing really wrong but just nothing to write home about

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Hilton Sydney. It’s great to see that you appreciated our efficient staff and that you enjoyed our breakfast offering. I shall certainly share your comments with the team involved.

I am otherwise disappointed that your room was not made up in a timely manner and this has been addressed with our Housekeeping department to ensure such a situation does not recur in the future.

Once again, thanks, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to be of service to you sometime soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Had a quick romantic stay with my partner in the Hilton Sydney and whether it was the company or the Hotel we both agreed it was the best night both of us have ever had. I have not stayed in the Hilton since its refurbishment (so a long time now) but will definitely be back. We stayed in a King Hilton Deluxe Room. Complimentary bottle of wine, stylish decorations and great blackout curtains so we had no idea what time it was in the morning. Bathroom was clean and had plenty of room

Will definitely be back but it will be hard to top.

Looking forward to our next Hilton stays (with kids and family) in Cairns (Sept 14) and Hawaii Jan 15).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 23 July 2014

I am very happy to read your comments and glad that your romantic overnight stay was "the best night ever". We hope to see you return soon.

With best regards,

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here on a business trip for 4 nights. The hotel is downtown. A very nice Hilton with a good (but very expensive) breakfast buffet. The on premises fitness center is wonderful -- a 25 meter swimming pool and lots of cardio equipment -- very clean, too.

Beds and pillows are very comfortable -- probably among the better nights sleep in a hotel I've had (and I travel just about every week on business). The restaurant is good, but also incredibly expensive given the restaurant options within easy walking distance in Darlinghurst and other places.

Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am really delighted to see that you enjoyed the hotel's location and facilities including our Fitness Centre which has the reputation of being one of the best in the city.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney should your travels bring you this way.

Melboune, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

As you'd expect from any Hilton Hotel, professional and good customer service, clean and tidy room, accessible amenities as well as a great location in the heart of Sydney. The lobby/foyer areas have dated very well for 10 years of age. Importantly, at $270 per night it provided good value.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your review. Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay at Hilton Sydney. I am so glad you were able to experience our warm Hilton hospitality and that the hotel's location and facilities were to your liking.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.