“Best Birthday ever”

Hilton Sydney
Ranked #37 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I celebrated my 18th Birthday at Hilton Sydney. Couldn't have had a better birthday. They upgraded me to a Suite. The room was fantastic, the view spectacular and the food and wine excellent. Would fully recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in the city.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thanks for posting such a great review on Trip Advisor.

It is so good to see that your 18th Birthday Celebrations were memorable and that you had an enjoyable stay.

Come back again soon!!

There are newer reviews for Hilton Sydney

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I regularly stay at the Hilton in Sydney when I travel for business or to attend training/conferences etc and usually I'm not disappointed. Location is excellent, and I can catch the airport train to Town Hall and then simply walk down George Street to the hotel. The rooms are on the small side, but well organised. The desk and desk chair are comfortable, as is the bed. The lobby is always extremely busy with people sitting in the loungeroom area, I think this is because WIFI is ridiculously expensive from your room but free in the lobby. I find room service to be reasonably priced, although I have never had an excellent meal from room service - it mostly arrives cold or just isn't very tasty, and the menu hasn't changed in about 4 years. The executive lounge is good, and I have had excellent service from the attendants there. On my last stay in April, I was actually really disappointed with the conceirge attendants, who simply ignored me as I waited for a taxi and continued to talk to each other. I had to walk over to a waiting taxi just outside of the hotel and wave him in - even after I had done this, concierge just went on with their personal discussion. It's rare for a hotel of this size to have this lack of service, but I have only experienced it once at the Hilton. It remains my hotel of choice when I'm in town.

Room Tip: The higher the better away from street noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review following your stay with us.

Firstly, I am delighted that the Hilton Sydney is your "hotel of choice" when staying in Sydney. However, I am really disappointed and surprised that the Concierge service you experienced in April was not to your satisfaction, as our Concierge team is well known for being exceptional with its customer service. Nonetheless, we will revisit your comments during their training sessions to ensure such an incident is not repeated.

Your feedback is most appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you the next time your travels bring you this way.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

it's in the CBD surrounded by shops , restaurants & with many bus routes along George street.
there is also the train station across in Queen Victoria Building & within walking distance to the famous Rocks , Opera House & Circular Quay where one can catch the ferry to the zoo or Manly beach
the room is very comfortable & clean with good amenities. the only setback was the request for morning newspaper was not delivered
the staff at reception are very helpful & friendly.
i recommend this hotel which is so central & convenient .

Room Tip: rooms on higher floors have a good city view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank your for your review. I am really pleased that the hotel’s location and facilities were to your satisfaction. I do however apologize that you did not receive your morning newspaper and have addressed this with the relevant team to ensure this situation does not recur in future.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again sometime soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed overnight at the Hilton for a business trip, and astounded by the experience I received in the space of less than 18 hours!

The location is excellent, easily accessible and very central. If you are coming from the airport, take the Airport Link and alight at Town Hall. The hotel is only one block from the QVB exit. A word of caution, the hotel is on George Street which becomes a busy and gridlocked road in the early morning/late afternoon - plan well if you intend to use a taxi to the airport. Apart from this, the location makes the Hilton a convenient 5 minute walk to Pitt Street Mall, and a 10-15 minute stroll to Darling Harbor.

Other reviews often post about the service, and rightly so - the service at this hotel is consistent and some of the best I've experienced in the Sydney area. Checkin was fast and prompt. Special mention must go to Mandy who was incredibly friendly in explaining the hotel and welcoming me. Most hotels are willing to offer late checkout until 12 as a token gesture, but, offering 1.30PM, Mandy really went out of the way to try and offer late checkout that would work to my schedule. Special mention must also go to Kaz at the luggage desk who went above and beyond in service. There was heavy rain that morning and the hotel ran out of umbrellas. Kaz spent a while trying to search for a hotel umbrella but when he couldn't find one, he was more than willing and insisting that I borrow his personal umbrella, which honestly saved me having to send my suit for dry cleaning. Staff like Mandy and Kaz really set the bar for service and make the stay at the Hilton worth it!

Finally, word of caution. The minibar is "automatic." Which means that it detects when you lift something up and charges it to your bill automatically. Be careful when you place things in the fridge as well - as taking these things out will also incur a charge.

Pros (and why I'll be back):

- Location, location, location!
- Hotel service and the effort they go to is unparalleled. They say people make a hotel, and this is definitely the case here.
- Housekeeping, etc are very responsive when you call Magic. Requests were always answered and delivered in 10 minutes.
- The hotel has very nice Peter Thomas Roth toiletries.
- The pillow menu adds a very nice touch for a good nights sleep.
- The "Glass" restaurant serves an amazing full range breakfast. Orange juice is freshly squeezed, pancakes can be made upon request (no pancake machine), and there are some nice "fruit" shots which are quite unique.

There were, however, a few things that the hotel could improve on (cons):

- "Business Center" is a bit of a misnomer here. All the other hotels I've stayed at typically market "Business Center" as a place guests can go to use a PC, send a fax, print/scan a document. However, I walked around the second floor to find none. Only after asking an employee I was told that there was no such "business center." It's a bit disappointing for a business hotel. I know there is an executive lounge, but as a corporate traveller I'm limited in what I can book. Nevertheless, the staff at the concierge desk were more than willing to print my boarding pass and three page document upon request.
- Although Kaz was more than helpful in finding a solution, the fact that the hotel did not have umbrellas for a rainy day (at 9.30AM) was a bit concerning. This is the first time I've stayed at a five star hotel with this problem. I suggest you head down to the concierge early if you need an umbrella on a rainy day.
- Housekeeping felt a bit sloppy in cleaning up meals after guests finished them. I walked along a corridor at 10PM to notice a tray sitting in front of a door, and when I walked past at 2AM, those trays were still there.
- Wifi is $29 per 24 hours, which felt a bit extreme for a five star venue (Hilton Hhonors Gold and Diamond members get this free). Fortunately, I had Boingo which allowed me to work around this (also works for iPass customers).
- The shower has a nice television that you can watch to catch up with news, etc. in the morning. However, only free to air stations are offered. And even so, the programs were not in color (just black and white) - which wasn't much of a problem for functionality, but if you are going to have a TV in a five star hotel, at least have it in color.
- The television offers CCTV; however, once you navigate into it, you can only view one channel and it shows in a small box next to a list of other CCTV channels. I played around with it for 10 minutes to try and get the picture to cover the full screen before giving up.

Despite all of this, I will definitely be back to the Hilton next time I am in Sydney.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay a few nights, consider getting a Boingo pass - it works out to be much more cost...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your detailed Trip Advisor review following your recent stay at Hilton Sydney.

I am very happy to read your comments and glad that you found the location and service levels of the hotel to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future. Wishing you safe travels!!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Hilton Sydney is situated in a strategic location of Sydney CBD, surrounded by a dense commercial zone, yet within a stone's throw to shopping complexes such as the QV Building. Access to Hilton Sydney via airport train is straight-forward, with a 5-min walk to the hotel after exiting Town Hall Station (which is the final station in the airport train route).

Check-in was acceptable as there was only one other guest at the reception desk. The reception desk was manned by one staff and one trainee. One quibble here: there is no dedicated HHonors check-in/check-out, albeit there is a signage welcoming HHonors guests.
Upon check-in I was upgraded to an exec room being a HH Diamond - which was much appreciated - and consistent with my other experiences at other Hiltons worldwide.

Room was adequately sized, though I felt Brisbane Hilton's exec room was larger than the room I was allocated. But then again, it may be because Sydney's exec room has a separate shower and bath, while at Brisbane Hilton you either get a shower over bath, or a shower without bath. View was good - from the 20+ floor. I loved the automatic window shades - and the fact that in the evening, house-keeping lowered the window shades completely. House-keeping also checked that there was sufficient toiletries during that time - representing a notch-up level of service compared with other Hiltons. Room had a king-sized bed - however it was joined together by 2 doubles. The mattress top helped "covered" the gap but you could still feel it.

This Hilton has access to a gym in the 'basement' level - the gym is managed by a fitness club. At the time of visit, around 6 pm, the gym was packed, needless to say, by office people who works in the area.

Executive lounge was well sized, perhaps smaller than Hilton South Wharf (HSW) exec lounge, but certainly larger than Adelaide, Brisbane, London lounges (to name a few). One quibble here - you'd have to queue for drinks during service time - even for juice. However the canapes were excellent - comparable to HSW. There was even prawns and prawn dumplings offered. Outside service time (before 6 pm), you helped yourself to coffee/tea and some biscuits/crackers.

HH complimentary brekky offered. Breakfast spread was amazing. I loved the set up where they have the hot food in the ban marie at one end of the restaurant, the continental at another end, and the pastries (well done!) opposite the restaurant reception area. Certainly worth paying for - if your room did not come booked with brekky included or provided as complimentary.

Check-out was not as efficient as check-in - and this was early in the morning around 7am. Reception desk manned by two staff and 1 trainee, but there were 2 other guests in the queue. And again since no dedicated HHonors check-in-/check-out, holding my HH Diamond card in my hand didn't expedite the process. 1 of the guests in front had a lengthly conversation and so from the time of queuing to checkout took some 10 mins. I know there is the express check-out, but I'd rather have a finalised tax invoice issued to avoid hassles later on, e.g. if the hotel forgot, or didn't sent through a final invoice, or if they charged a mini-bar item that I didn't consume.

All in all, some minor quibbles which most guests will overlook - so overall, will definitely return to Hilton Sydney for future stays.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hilton Sydney following your recent stay.

I am pleased that your time here was enjoyable, and I am sure our Trip Advisor followers will be pleased to read your detailed review, as it provides an extensive picture of the hotel’s facilities and offerings.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to seeing you on your future stays.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Location: fantastic. Room: we stayed in the 3rd of 10 room types. Small room, nice view out small windows. Modern, serviceable, 'business-style' decor - nothing to excite. Air-conditioning was very noisy, but best left on because our room was near the lifts which are noisier still, and with the aircon off its a bit like sleeping near a runway. And the inexcusable disappointment in Australian hotels, no free in-room WiFi. Food: for us it was a very disappointing, and far short of the hotel's 5 star status, breakfast ... impossible to get a hot cup of tea, the food all looks mass-produced and no-one in the kitchen appears interested in making anything on the spot. Nothing we eat really pleases.
My verdict: there are plenty of 5 star hotels in Sydney with much more going for them than the Hilton. It's big draw card is location, but it doesn't have a monopoly on a good city location and I'd much rather walk a minute longer to a shop than stay I such a characterless hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from the lifts!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review following your recent stay at Hilton Sydney.

I truly regret that your stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback. As we would like to regain your trust we hope you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you to this area again.

Been there once.
The rooms I stayed in was very stylish but there was a 3-5 cm diameter hole in one of the bed covers. Apart from that, the staff was very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was super.
I recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at Hilton Sydney last year. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Hopefully we will have another opportunity to welcome you back in the future.