“Nice for short trips - but not so good for long trips”

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay
Ranked #33 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Plymouth, Minnesota
“Nice for short trips - but not so good for long trips”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The Marriott Sydney Harbour @ Circular Quay would be nice for short trips as its a few blocks from the train station & harbor and another few blocks more to the Opera House. My room was furnished very nice, the room lighting was the best I ever had for a hotel room, and quiet. The maids were very friendly and made it a point to say hi when you passed them in the halls. However, since I was staying in for three weeks, it was rather cramped. The closet was rather small for hanging clothes, and the storage space for unpacking my luggage was impossible. Didn't help that two of the drawers hid the snacks & coffee/tea and the refrig was full of various bottles of water, beer, & pop for purchase. So I basically lived out of my suitcase. No ice, vending, or laundry. Getting my clothes cleaned would cost me more that a night stay each week.
The week before my arrival, the hotel contacted me and asked what I wanted (high floor room, power adaptor & form pillows) which was a nice touch. My flight arrived early in the morning, so I purchased the room the day before so I can freshen up before I went into the office. When I checked in, the room wasn't available which I found was rather odd, but if I paid as extra $30 a night, I could get a room. Pushed that I paid for the room and was given a few offers if I paid extra. In the end, I got a low floor room, no adaptor and feather pillows. In the end, the front desk manager got involved and granted me extra Marriott Rewards points for my experience.

Room Tip: Get a high floor room away from the traffic
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Two receptionists on duty during peak check in. Manager didn't look busy - lend a hand maybe?

Lack of towels in the room. I know you can call for more but why?
Room aircon should be whisper quiet. Get a fix it man onto it.

Asked for tea at breakfast and was given a pot of water and a tea bag. Seriously! The people with coffee didn't have to make theirs.

Restaurant at dinner has no atmosphere. Drop the prices, widen the menu, attract some people and create a vibe. If it doesn't work, go back to what you have now.

Queue for the lifts. Are they all operational?

A few tweaks and this hotel could be a favourite.

Thumbs up to the concierge and the egg chef at breakfast.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My hubby booked 2 nights last year to celebrate my birthday and we loved it!! I felt so spoilt, because the hotel made us feel special in every way, the staff was super nice to us. We had a beautiful view to the opera house and the bridge, the bed and pillows were sooo comfortable it was like sleeping on a cloud! room service was great and the food was delightful! we had dinner at Icons and everything was delicious. I didn't want to leave haha I highly recommend this hotel, also has a terrific location, i'm totally a Marriott fan!! <3

Room Tip: choose a high level with an opera house and harbour bridge view, you wont regret it, its a wow view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tenchismartz1
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I had stayed here for 17 nights in January 2014. I was in a Bridge View room, which has a very nice view of the Harbour bridge. Circular Quay station is just a block away. Overall loved my stay here...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kunal K
hong kong
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Greeted warmly by the reception. (Jacqueline). But you have to wait in line most of the time to get anything done. There are normally 2 receptionists but they need more for a hotel this large. I needed my keys reset 3 times for 2 nights, very frustrating. They apologize often in this hotel.

The room is very adequate and mine had a beautiful view of the Opera House. However, the cleaning was suspect, I found several places in the bathroom where there were other peoples hairs etc. Not up to snuff.

The Exec lounge is a train wreck: there are 4 stainless steel small refrigerators that are not labeled so everyone keeps asking "where is the beer?", "where is the water?", "club soda?" amazing they don't put up a sign that tells you where things are? Then, they ran out of everything: no cold beer? The place is jam-packed, you feel like you're in a youth hostel instead of an exec lounge. The staff apologizes but we decided to forget the lounge and headed off to find a local pub. After staying in SPG hotels (Sheraton, Westin, etc) it is really hard to imagine Marriott has slipped so far down. As a lifetime elite member, it saddens me.

In fairness, the location could not be better.

It appears the owners are more interested in making $ than providing a great accommodation.

The difference between this hotel and an SPG hotel experience is not even close to being equal. The SPG (Sheraton Martin Place) did come in at a much higher price to be fair.

My observation is the staff has their hands full trying to make do without the support needed from their owners. Pretty sad. I stayed here years ago and it was first rate. As a road warrior, the experience now was extremely frustrating and makes me wonder if I will steer clear of Marriott in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank twodoggzz
Jennifer B, General Manager at Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear twodoggzz,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your insights from your recent experience. I noticed your comments about your stay that were of great concern to me. We value your continued patronage and your feedback assists us in our goal to continually improve the facilities and services we provide. My team and I are deeply sorry for the inconveniences you experienced regarding the design of our Executive Lounge fridges, please be assured that we have taken your constructive feedback into consideration.
Concerning overcrowding in the Executive Lounge, statistic shows the hotel is a popular destination for Marriott Rewards Elite Members and hence I acknowledge at times of high occupancies the Lounge may reach its maximum capacity. Please however note that we are doing everything we can to alleviate this issue with preventative measures now in place. The loyalty of our Marriott Reward members is of great value to us and ensuring their benefits is paramount.
You will be pleased to know that we are currently working on a project to upgrade our guests room key system and I am confident that you will be pleased upon completion.
Once again thank you for your feedback and hope that we will have an opportunity to deliver a better stay experience in the future.

Kindest regards,
Jennifer Brown
New Jersey
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. We were upgraded to a room with a view of the Harbor Bridge. It was really beautiful. We also had access to the Executive Lounge, which was excellent. It can get crowded, particularly for light appetizers and drinks. But the staff are very good.

The hotel concierge staff were outstanding. Eugene and Vini made incredible suggestions for dinner and cocktails. They pointed us away from touristy places and gave us restaurants where the locals go. Eugene also gave us a schedule of events for Australia Day, and we were able to take advantage of some things.

The location of the hotel is perfect. Circular Quay is close to The Rocks, Ferries, Harbor Bridge and Opera House. It is also in walking distance to Darling Harbor.

We will stay at this hotel again if we return to Sydney!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, and if possible, one with a view of the Harbor Bridge and/or Opera H...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OSUBuckeyesNJ
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

We are loyal Marriott guests and the Marriott Sydney Harbour is an excellent example of why. Nice rooms with great views in a great location. Good wifi. Comfortable, large, and well appointed rooms. Use the Marriot app and check in on line and just grab your key and go to room. No lines. First time I've used this. I highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed February 2014