“Best Location in Circular Quay”

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay
Ranked #33 of 176 Hotels in Sydney
San Francisco, California
“Best Location in Circular Quay”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

It's a Marriott, so you won't be disappointed. The high floors offer nice but not expansive views of the city (other buildings block or partially block sight lines of the harbor, the Opera House and other landmarks). The rooms are clean and well appointed. The bed is comfortable but not as luxurious as higher end hotels. But what you get at the Marriott is friendly, attentive service. You also get the best location in Circular Quay. It's a short walk to the ferries, to the Opera House, to The Rocks, and to other attractions.

if you're an elite guest, access to the 30th floor Executive Lounge is wonderful for complimentary breakfast buffet, plus an evening cocktail hour with a generous buffet that goes beyond hors d'oeuvres.

The rooms at the Shangri-La are much larger, but I really like the location of the Marriott far better. Team Marriott gets perfect scores from me for meeting my needs and exceeding my expectations.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,041)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed 4 nights over the weekend with my two teen boys in a twin room, opera view. We often stay at the Sheraton because I like it being close to the David Jones food hall, shopping and the Myers food court. However we came to see the Vivid Festival and I thought it might be good being right close to the Opera House. I thought in the end it was a good decision as we could just pop out to have a look at the lights, we could see the Opera house from our room on the 19th floor and it was nice when the lights went on at 6pm.

I booked quite early via the Marriott website and got an average rate of $540 however the week I travelled the rate went down to $440 so I rebooked. As I was a Marriott rewards member I got the free internet which was excellent and not sluggish. Included was breakfast for two. I was also swayed by the early arrivals lounge as our flight arrived at 8am and we departed at 6.15pm so that was an excellent point of difference with the Sheraton.

On the whole I found the hotel slightly plainer than the Sheraton, I am under no misapprehension that the centralness of the Marriott location contributes to it’s price point. If people think they can do better in that location they would need to look at other hotels that lack the views and close proximity to transport of this hotel.
Here are my pros and cons:
Pros
Comfortable beds and linen
Early arrival lounge a big plus
Breakfast buffet on a par with the Sheraton breakfast buffet
View very good
Central location can’t be beaten, opera view rooms great – I would suggest one not too high as the higher up the smaller the opera house would seem and the longer the wait for lifts.
Excellent wifi for Marriott rewards members for multiple devices

Cons
Double double room has double beds NOT queen size bed so rather crowded in the bed.
Lifts sometimes a bit slow
Room rate high due to central location

All in all I would stay at this hotel if I was wanting to stay in the Circular Quay area. It is basically the transport hub so if you want to use ferries, trains and buses it is a great location to make your base. Sydney is a very expensive town to visit from a transport and food point of view so really my choice between the Sheraton and the Marriott would also come down to room rates available and inclusions like breakfast.

Room Tip: Monitor room rates regularly. 06 ending rooms have opera view rooms, you pay for them though. Don...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank yeowon
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed on Executive Floor rate with views over the Opera House. Great evening drinks and canapes served in the Executive Lounge on level 30. (included in rate) Very convenient to Circular Quay transport hub. Breakfast was excellent with hot and cold choices in the lounge.

Room Tip: Choose the executive rate and save on meals. Didn't need dinner after those wonderful canapes.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Edgerton, Kansas
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived a bit early for checkin and they sent us to the 6th floor to an early check in lounge. free coffee and snacks, comfortable couches and shower facility, all much appreciated. They took my phone number and called us as soon as the room was ready. Helpful staff and very friendly. The lobby was quite large with a nice bar with food. The rooms are standard and you can pay a little extra to get a view of the opera house, or Sydney bridge, or both. I would recommend a room on a high floor with a view of the opera house. You also get a view of the harbor. Prices are high, but then everything in Australia is high. We enjoyed our stay. They have a large buffet breakfast that was very good and room service one day early and they were right on time.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary D
New York
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

While it is located in a great place, imagine a 5 starts hotel where you can not have LUNCH!!!!! Yes, the restaurant was reserved only for groups and we had to go to the lobby bar and have lunch in a low Bar table.... Super Bad! And the lady in the restaurant just told us... Sorry, even you are a guest, we are fully booked for groups!!! really disappointed, what kind of 5 starts service is that?? the rooms are poor and very low quality compared with Other Marriotts. I do not recommend this hotel. no value for your money

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jose P
Jennifer B, General Manager at Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Jose P,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sydney Harbour Marriott and sharing with us your feedback.

We regret to hear that there were concerns that detracted from your overall experience at the hotel. My sincerest apologies also, for the closure of our lunch buffet in the Icons Brasserie. If I may suggest our Customs House Bar which recently has introduced a new a la’carte menu. Customs house bar has a lovely open air outdoor seating area which is a great place to dine for lunch. It is our goal to ensure that we meet the expectations of our guests and any feedback that we receive is highly appreciated. Your feedback in particular will certainly assist us to make improvements around the hotel.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again soon to show the true Marriott experience that we are able to create.

Kindest Regards

Jennifer Brown
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Holiday Location - Less than 100m to Circular Quay; walk the other direction and you’re in the Mall. The Pool is dated and indoors. The Rooms are small but well equipped. The Buffet Breakfast is standard; no better, and the service at the Front Desk is good but the luggage people are slow and uninvolved. Yes I would stay there again; but only because of the Magnificent Location. It’s so close to the action it’s part of it! See my picture from Vivid.

Room Tip: Higher floor equals better views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Cold Spring Harbor
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We actually were there in summer 2012,- just catching up with my Trip Advisor reviews. First experience in Australia. Absolutely superlative hotel. We had breakfast included. What a feast! The room was a little tight, but clean and well appointed. The best feature though is the location. It's withing walking distance of pretty much everything in the heart of Sydney. Just a short distance from the Opera House and the ferries. We here there off season for Australia and got a good rate. Excellent gym. Much better than the typical hotel fitness room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family