“A Majestic View!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Milan, Italy
“A Majestic View!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

The Shangri-La Sydney is positioned perfectly on the edge of The Rocks. Rooms vary with city views to specatcular harbour views which normally allow you a perfect view of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge.

The executive club of the Shangri-La shares a spectacular harbour view and its evening cocktail hour is a great bonus for those staying on executive club floors.

The rooms are clean, modern and in line with Shangri-La worldwide, offer free wifi, a big bonus for the businessman and traveler looking to connect with the World. No nasty $30 per day charged for wifi here.

The concierge and staff are first rate. On our last visit we had a meeting that kicked off at 9am but had found all chemists only opened at 10am. We were desperate for some pain medication and some cold & flu. The staff in the executive club worked diligently from when we asked the question (at 7am) until they found a chemist nearby that opened at 730, this is despite the concierge saying that nothing was open until 10am, they kept looking.

The location is also perfect for outings into Sydney. The train system is nearby via Circular Quay, as are the ferries, and most other tourist locations are a short walk or taxi ride away.

Room Tip: The corner suites offer a spectacular view of the harbour with the added benefit of a lounge to rela...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ForeignGuardian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,721)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Maputo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

This hotel is of a high standard and run professionally with friendly staff. It is what a 5 star hotel should be. The location is close to The Rocks area and the views of Sydney harbour are stunning. The menu is extensive, making it hard to select, but what we chose was excellent. We are going back for New Year's Eve and we can't wait!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hobart
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

My wife and stayed at this fantastic top class hotel in Sydney, The Shangiri-la. Without a doubt this is the most beautiful hotel we have stayed in in the Sydney CBD. All fixtures, fittings and furniture are top class. The bed was a delight to sleep on and probably about ten times more comfortable than my home bed. The suite was spacious, with a lounge room then hallway leading past the bathroom and then to the bedroom. The view was to die for, on one side we had a view of toward Darling Harbour, from another window we had a view of Sydney Harbour right up to the Sydney Heads. The marine traffic on the harbour was fascinating to watch. We we to the bar which is situated on a high up floor ( I have forgotten the floor number) but you can have you drinks by the window, where if you look down at your feet it is a sheer drop to the ground. It took a little time to get used to the drop but like the rest of the bar, it was just top class. I could not fault this hotel, we were able to get a deal that included car parking, which just added to the pleasure of the place. It is very close to the Rocks area and I doubt it could be beaten for location. Friendly and efficient staff. I happily recommend the Shangri-La hotel to anyone looking for a very classy hotel.

Room Tip: Corner suites have views of Darling and Sydney harbours.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris_P_Tasmania
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

We arrived in Sydney quite early on a Sunday morning and went direct to the hotel. Upon our arrival it was quite busy with weekend guests checking out. Our room was not ready although we had requested an early check-in. They had the room ready for us fairly quickly, we had time for a coffee and a flick through the papers in the coffee lounge. Would of been nice to of been offered a complimentary coffee while we waited.

When we got to our suite, the view that greeted us was absolutely magical. Our son still talks about the view today! It was his best part of our Sydney trip!

Room was clean, with a modern décor. Bathroom was fabulous (especially liked the electronic curtains and blinds). The body products (including combs, bath salts, even washing powder) were fabulous touches too! My lasting memory will be the bed... I called it my Princess Bed as it was truly the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in - heaven!

We went out for the afternoon and upon our arrival back we had been left a bottle of champagne, lovely chocolate cake and a card congratulating us on our 10th Wedding Anniversary and my 40th Birthday. It was signed by the Customer Relations Manager – Claudia. We thanked her the following day when we saw her in reception.

The Concierge definitely helped us out getting us a very late booking into the famous seafood restaurant Doyles in Watson’s Bay (one of our favourite spots), and also helped us out with catching ferries and buses during our stay.

We used the swimming pool and hot tub on a daily basis during our stay. The facilities were excellent. Pool and Hot Tub were excellent temperatures. The changing rooms were lovely, clean and bright.

Our package included Bed and Breakfast and the use of the Horizon Club Lounge.

Breakfast was ok, had to ask if they made items such as Eggs Benedict as it was not advertised anywhere. Some of the juices were quite tart, so not quite sure if it was the quality or just bad luck!

Unfortunately we had a bad experience during dinner... there was only 7 people in the restaurant, including us! With 2 small children we ordered promptly hoping for a quick turn around, but unfortunately this did not happen... after about 45 minutes we asked the waitress where our meals were? She said that the restaurant was busy doing room service orders... she offered us some salad from the salad bar, which we declined. We had ordered steaks, one medium and one rare. When they were bought to the table, she announced which one was which and then when we cut into them discovered they were the wrong way around... One our children ordered a burger which had a side order of tomato salsa, well considering this was made for a child and our children are extremely good eaters this salsa had far too much vinegar or extremely strong vinegar making it inedible. Unfortunately I did not pay the service on this meal, as I felt the time we had waited was unacceptable and her confusion of two meals was too.

Horizon Club Lounge was fabulous... We really enjoyed the selection of canapés and Australian wines during the cocktail time. We also visited during the afternoon and had an enjoyable afternoon tea. Our children enjoyed being able to use the computers and the freedom to go up and help themselves to drinks and snacks. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

Part of our package was a bottle of champagne that we had to have in BLU Bar on 36. Had to wait for a little while for a seat, but once we were seated we were served very promptly.
Overall we had a nice time at the Shangri-La and it would be somewhere that we would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank funfamilyholidays
North Bay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

Just returned from a solo adventure to Australia and had the pleasure of staying in this beautiful hotel. I did spend an inordinate amount of time selecting this hotel. Traveling alone and never having been to Sydney made me nervous. Alas, worries were gone, virtually instantly when I stepped out of my cab and into the arms of the staff at Shangri La. Firstly, the hotel is lovingly appointed. Very clean, somewhat modern with an asian touch. The staff at the front doors are so genuinely caring and they don't expect a tip (although, how could you resist?). I booked a "Club Room" and was ushered up to the 30th Floor for my "check in". It was done quickly and efficiently all the while sipping a coffee and marvelling at the view of the Harbour. My room was not facing the Grand Harbour although I did have a side view of the Sydney Opera House and it was amazing nonetheless. The concierge went above and beyond to help me with absolutely anything I was looking for. For example, I wanted to buy a jersey for my teenager who loves the sport called "Footy"...I needed to buy a specific jersey. The concierge called around to all of the sports stores near the hotel, located it for me, had them put it on hold for me and sent me on my way. Hello! I mean really....how can you not be impressed with this type of treatment? I also suffered from jet lag during my stay. Spent the night up "hanging" with the staff who were lovely and entertaining. As it turned out, I decided to cancel my reservations at another hotel for later in my trip and booked with the Shangri La again. I tried to book a Grand Harbour view however, it being the school break week in Australia, they were fully booked. When I arrived to check in, I was told that they were putting me in the "Govoner's Suite". Seriously? Cause the Govoner's Suite was absolutely AMAZING. I felt like a princess....or maybe Beyonce walking aimlessly around my suite by myself. Room Service was pricey.....but good. Not amazing....just good. Sydney is crazy expensive so I availed myself of the free breakfast in the morning and free hors d'oeuvres at night on the 30th floor. The club level is so worth the extra money. I loved the location of the hotel as well. I could walk down to the water for my tours easily and shop at the major stores in minutes. I never made it up to the bar or restaurant on the top floors unfortunately. Overall, I loved this hotel. The staff were exceptional, the rooms were beautiful. The whole experience was perfect. If you have any doubt, book this hotel....but get a room on the Club Level and ask for the Grand Harbour View.

Room Tip: Club Level.....Grand Harbour View.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Llandovery, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

From the moment we arrived at the hotel the service was perfect. Very welcoming staff that couldn't do enough to help. We arrived very early in the day (9am) but were able to check-in straight away and had some large luggage that we wouldn't need stored safely.

We had booked into a Horizon Club room, which although a little more expensive I believe was absolutely worth the extra. You check on the 30th floor in the Horizon Lounge with amazing views of the bridge and opera house. Staff were again very welcoming.

The location is perfect for the rocks area of the city and walking distance to Darling Harbour.

The extras from booking with the Horizon club include soft drinks all day, snacks available most of the day, alcoholic drinks in the evening and breakfast available in either restaurant. The food and the service available was excellent, our only slight criticism is that what was available at "afternoon tea" was slow to replenish. We decided to take breakfast in the horizon lounge which although stated as "continental" had some hot food as well including bacon, eggs and congee plus all the continental choices you would expect. No porridge though, but I am sure they would have it downstairs.

The room (Opera House view) was superb. Large enough with everything you need, the bathroom is great. A powerful shower and a deep bath. Good size TV and all the channels including pay-per-view.

The bed was amazing! Comfortable, big, luxurious and after a 24hr flight from the UK was very welcoming.

The gym facilities were sufficient, although quiet on a weekend I am sure even during the week it would be enough. The pool looked good, but I didn't get the chance to try it.

Overall this was a 5* hotel that actually felt like one. We have stayed in several that claim to be 5* both in the UK and abroad. Some feel aloof, stuffy or simply under par. Shangri-la was the best we have stayed in, with service that matched the facilities.

If we come to Sydney again we will be staying here.

Room Tip: Horizon Club rooms are on higher floors (30 and above) and give better views.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dunoon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

First the good points:
Rooms are to an excellent high standard as expected.
Views are amazing, especially of the Opera House.
The bar on the top floor has the best views of the Bridge and Opera House all from the same window.

The bad points:
Poor service, in most areas....
I had to order a coffee 3 times at breakfast and still it didn't arrive.
Bar staff were no better, forgetting drink orders and then confusing drinks.

For a Shangri-La frequent traveler (Golden Circle) this is certainly the worst SL I have stayed in. Despite the excellent views I will try elsewhere the next time I am Sydney.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DJDunoon
ArpadRomandy, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear DJDunoon,

Thank you for your review regarding our property. We are pleased to read you enjoyed our facilities and certainly agree with you regarding our views - they are some of the best in Sydney.

We were however deeply concerned to read your comments regarding our Food and Beverage service. We can assure you that this is not indicative of the level of service we aim to achieve and indeed pride ourselves on and for that we are truly sorry.

As a valued Golden Circle member, we do hope to have the opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes. Please contact me for your next reservation so that I can personally ensure you are well taken care of.

Kind regards,