“Wedding prep hotel, perfect day perfect night!”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #26 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Wedding prep hotel, perfect day perfect night!”
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Thank you so much Shangri La Hotel, Sydney. My husband and I married on November 17, 2012 and we spent our wedding night with you. We had the most perfect day and the perfect evening at the end of a long and enjoyable day.

My bridesmaids, my 3 closest girlfriends and I stayed in a grand harbour suite the night before our wedding so we could get ready together for the wedding the following morning. Our suite was so large and spacious, it was incrediable. So luxurious! The suite had a large entry hall, that opened to a lounge room. You continued on to the master bedroom and and the large ensuite. There was 2 bathroom in the suite, which made getting ready for the wedding a breeze. We had a corner suite so we had sweeping views of the harbour including the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Luna Park and the Opera House. It also meant that one of the walls of the ensuite was completely windows and had plenty of natural light for our makeup artist to utilise.

My hair stylist and her assistant had plenty of space to set up and we all had such a relaxing, stress free morning getting ready in such a breath taking location.

The night previous, we had all of the bridal party join us in the suite for drinks and one last get together before we all met up once again the next day at the alter. On the morning of the wedding, I had lots of family members dropping by to visit as we got ready, and also the photographers, and flower deliveries and video staff. With so much going on and so many people the suite catered to our every need and was large enough to be comfortable despite the hive of activity.

On the morning of the wedding and the morning after, we had breakfast at the downstairs cafe. It was a good spread and the staff there were lovely.

On our wedding night, my husband and I stayed in a different room, but it still had amazing views of the Bridge and Opera House. I opened the curtains up and we could see the amazing city all lit up from bed. We enjoyed this very much! We also enjoyed a lazy morning after with late check out and sitting on the window sil debriefing after a long weekend.

I cant fault the hotel, everything was perfect with the rooms and the view and building itself. All amazing. The staff however, we do have some complaints.

My biggest complaint was the mix up with our booking, we had booked 2 nights at the hotel, Friday night was the suite and Saturday night was just the 2 of us in a different room. On the morning of the wedding, reception kept calling telling us to get out of the suite and we were late for check out. We made sure prior to booking that this would not be a problem and we were assured that it wouldnt be an issue, we were free to get ready in the suite and when we were done, the staff would move our stuff to the other room. On the morning, we had to tell them countless times I was getting ready for a wedding, I didnt even have my dress on yet, my hair was half done and my makeup artist hadnt even started on my makeup. In the end, I had to ring my husband to ask him to talk to them because they kept on ringing me and wanting us to get out of the suite - eventually the mix up was resolved but it stressed me out a lot on a morning that I was already highly stressed out with the wedding and we had already been over this dozens of times prior to booking and again on the morning, very poor service.

Also, on the night of our wedding, the mix up with our booking continued and they wanted us to pay for the room AGAIN before they would give us the room keys. My husband told them we had already paid them at the time of the booking, and we wont be paying again. Not only that, but our bags were upstairs in the room already, with our wallets and credit card! As our gear was moved from the suite to our new room while we were off at the wedding, we didnt take it with us to church. After 10 mins sorting out our booking, standing in the lobby in my wedding dress and watching another wedding couple seeminly pain free in comparison checking into their room, we finally had our booking sorted out and we could go to our room. This man was very polite and I understand he is just doing his job, we dont blame him but after the mix up in the morning and the assurance everything was sorted only to have it all mixed up again a few hours later when we returned was a nightmare!

Also, in the excitement of all the commotion going on with the wedding, I accidentally left a bottle of wine in the suite mini bar fridge, It was a gift and had gold leaf flakes floating in the bottle. I was pretty upset at forgetting this - when I rang the hotel later to ask about it, they said nothing was reported as left behind...of course not. If you found this in a room, would you turn it in? As upset as I was, at least I can always buy another bottle, but its the principal. At least it can be replaced.

Despite these things, like I said I couldnt fault the hotel itself, the rooms, or the location. I enjoyed our stay, but for constructive criticsm, the staff and service can be improved in certain areas. One of the valet guys was simply fantastic however, I sadly cant remember his name, but he was there when we first checked in on Friday afternoon, he helped me unload all of our dresses and bags from my car and helped us settle in. He was also there the next day on the wedding day when I walked down to our waiting cars to take us to the cathedral, and he was still there when we returned at midnight after the wedding. He was there again when we checked out on Sunday afternoon and helped us load our dresses and bags back into our car and wished us well. I couldnt believe he was there the entire time, he works so hard and he deserves all the credit and commendation in the world. He was such a delight and I was very pleased to see him each time we crossed paths. I couldnt believe he was there each time we were downstairs, morning, afternoon and night! Thank you sir, I am so sorry I cant remember your name :(

Amazing views though, just have to reiterate this. Absolutely amazing. Loved the Shangri La, Sydney! Thank you for being a wonderful addition to our memorable and amazing wedding day.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,763)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 December 2012

The rooms need a little makeover however the beds and location can not be beaten. I thought the pool was a little lacking especially when compared to other hotels in the chain. Breakfast was excellent and so is the skybar.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
NSW, Australia
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We had a stunning view of Sydney harbour, even though we were only on the 15th floor. We were also able to check-in early (which we weren't expecting) and had great service from all the staff (from the vallet, to the check-in counter to the concierge). The breakfast is well worth the money and once again the service was excellent. Located in The Rocks there are many options on how to spend your day, all within walking distances.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelChick78
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We spent 5 nights here on our way to Brisbane for Christmas and we were really delighted with our choice. We had a room on the 19th floor and looked directly over the Opera House, harbour and bridge. The room was spacious with a great sitting area, desk and wonderful comfortable bed and pillows. The reception and concierge were professional and helpful and we were not disappointed with a single recommendation for dinner. We did not however get a chance to eat in the hotel restaurant as we wanted to experience a variety of Sydney's nightlife.

The hotel is in a great location of The Rocks, where there is so much to do and see and most of it is within walking distance. However, if you are not physically fit you would need to catch cabs to most places as there are a lot of steps to climb in the surrounding area, as it is very hilly.

Unfortunately there was a problem with electricity one night and so there was none from 12 am until 6 am. However, we were warned of this in advance and given the opportunity to move hotels. It was not an issue for us but this problem apparently has been around a while as it is hooked up to a generator so if you are booking it might be worth checking as to how far this work has progressed as for some people this might be a problem.

We had a really busy time seeing all the sights, and it was great to know we were coming back to the comfort of our room, where the bed had been turned down and it felt welcoming. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We had a corner room which was very light and we found that we were high enough on the 19th floor wi...
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 23 December 2012

This is how a hotel should be. Always wanted to go here since the hotel opened some 8-9 years ago. Finally got a chance to stay here for a couple of days and it was mind blowing. Fantastic views over the harbour & Opera house. Food was fresh and tasty. Service was immaculate and friendly.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better view.
Sydney
Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed just after Easter for a couple of nights this hotel service is remarkable you get a free turndown service which I thought was a great touch free wifi which is very hard to find in five star hotels in sydney the rooms are very big and well laid out we had room service the food was great the man who brought the food up was very professional and charming

Would return in a heartbeat

• Stayed April 2012
Brisbane
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Booking was easy, Checkin was seamless. Club room was great. Bed was awesome. No opera side rooms available but the view was still fantastic. Request for late checkout was obliged with no issue. My only complaint... and there really is only one..... is the club lounge selection of wine. With everything going for this hotel it's a shame that they serve less than acceptable wines. I'll be back for sure..... but will likely have a wine in my room.

Room Tip: Obviously... ask for an opera view. And if you have a club room maybe ask for a better selection of...