“Great spot to recover after a long haul flight”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #35 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 1 October 2013

A very good experience all round. Room was ready well ahead of official check in time which was greatly appreciated. Very comfortable bed and quiet location. Spectacular view over the harbour and Opera House.

Horizon level is definitely the way to go - Horizon lounge on 30th floor offers lots of amenities. Particularly enjoyed cocktail hour - great choice of canapés (sushi really good). That, and a couple of drinks while watching the sun set over the harbour was pretty nice.

Only minor grumble was regarding afternoon tea service which is offered in the lounge. When we arrived the locusts had already been and there was nothing much left. We had to hunt to find cups and saucers - shame it hadn't been replenished before official wind up time, but it wasn't a big deal really when we consider all the pluses.

Also, complimentary continental breakfast is offered in the lounge or if you prefer there is access to a very good and extensive breakfast buffet on the 1st floor.

Overall it was an excellent stay with professional, friendly staff. Kudos to Colin the concierge who directed us to several areas of town we probably would have missed otherwise. A great start to our vacation.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Watsonsgotravelling
Write a ReviewReviews (6,641)

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Loved every minute of the stay, fantastic location and service, from the chilled bottle of champagne in our room on arrival to the express check out everything was just as it should be. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was extremely clean and comfortable(especially the bed) and the view was amazing,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Good hotel in Sydney. Though central to the city not the best location for sightseeing. Staff freindly and accomodating? Rooms were quite large. Bathrooms were very large with very good amenities? Did not use any other services but would expect quality consistent with the Shangrila franchise

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed here on business. The hotel is a good option for Sydney. The location is good; stepping off the plane after a long flight it is nice to walk to the harbor and the opera house. The CBD is within easy walking distance. Staff are friendly and efficient. The top floor bar is well worth the visit.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Anyone comparing Sydney's five star hotels, read on. I spent a lot of time researching which of Sydney's luxury hotels offers the best value for money and as a Sydneysider, I was able to check out rooms prior to my recent visit - so I hope my advice helps!
By far, the best luxury hotel in Sydney is the Park Hyatt but at $850 per night plus, its just too expensive for most of us. The view is great, but not that great! And to be honest, the staff are a little too attentive. It is very modern and the most luxurious in town, so if you want bragging rights, stay there.
I compared the Four Seasons, the InterContinental, the Hilton, Quay West and the Stanford and chose an Eastern Harbour View room at the Shangria La. It was excellent value for money. We had floor to ceiling windows with a magnificent view of the Harbour (to the Heads : ie out to sea!) with the Opera House. There was a window seat upon which I sat with my glass of wine and watched the world go by on the Harbour. Lovely! The room was on the 22nd floor. The air conditioning was silent (very important to me!). Our rate included a very good buffet breakfast for two (some tables by the window with views), and wi fi in the rooms which most Sydney hotels charge extra for. The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom very large and luxurious, and little touches such as free water with turn down were nice. Best of all is the Blue Bar - this is one of Sydney's best bars because it is on about the 30th floor with amazing views of the city. At other comparable hotels the bar does not offer these views of the Harbour, or, as with the InterCon, you need to pay for a much more expensive room type to get access to the Executive Club.
When I compared prices, ShangriLa Sydney was considerably cheaper that the other hotels I mentioned which are in the same area, near the Harbour. It offers excellent value for money. I couldn't fault the service, quality of food or the location.

Room Tip: Pay for a room on a higher level, above the 20th floor. No need to get the most expensive room type...
Reviewed 29 September 2013

It all started with the booking process really. No CC details are taken when I booked, I then received 2 emails the day before offering a pre check-in. I opted not to proceed with this as I was not certain what time we would be checking in. At 2.30 on our day of arrival I received a phone call insisting CC details be given immediately or our room would be given away if we had not arrived by 4pm! Lucky we weren't in the air from interstate or OS! I'm not sure why they do not take CC details when you 1st book like almost every other hotel I've ever stayed at does!

At check-in our CC details were again required + they informed us they would be taking $100 from it as security. Up to our room only to discover our room cards had not been activated. Back down to front desk to join the queue of other guests also experiencing this!

Finally into our room only to be meet with an overpowering stench of cigarette smoke! Phone call downstairs requesting change of room to a non-smoking room. For the next 40 mins there were various phone calls from front desk. 1st call - "sorry you didn't request no smoking" - "yes I did & I have the booking print out with me to prove it!" Next call - sorry no other rooms available we will come & deodorise your room" - "no that will not be suitable, we need to be moved to a non smoking room". Finally a room was found on a lower (non club) floor, although we were still able to use the club facilities. Staff were apologetic but the only thing offered to make up was a late check out which we weren't able to make full use of.

The Horizon Club was excellent & the complimentary drinks softened our moods considerably before heading out to dinner at nearby Ananas (see separate review).

The bed & pillows were very comfortable so we did enjoy a good night's sleep.

Next morning heading to breakfast we discovered our room card was yet again not working!

This hotel could do many things to improve it's customer service. Next time I need to stay in the Rocks area it will be at another hotel!

6  Thank Mia K
ArpadRomandy, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Mia K,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel. We are sorry to hear your disappointment with the services you received during your stay. With regards to the reservations process, this is a new system which we are constantly tweaking to improve the customer experience, and your comment about the credit card guarantee is appreciated and duly noted. We hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations when you visit us again. For future stays, you may contact me directly via arpad.romandy@shangri-la.com.

Best regards,

Arpad Romandy
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel was AMAZING! We stayed in an executive grand harbour view suite that gave us the best views of both the harbour bridge and opera house. Just make sure that you ask to be put on a higher level. We were initially put on level 7 were the views were terrible - you were on level with the highway and that was all you could see. However, the staff were more than helpful and rectified the problem immediately.

The room was very spacious and the bathroom was probably one of the best I've seen - well equipped with top notch amenities and again, very spacious - about the same size of the bedroom itself, if not bigger. The bath tub is at level with the window which gave a panoramic view of the city.

Bed was very comfortable - felt like I was sleeping on a cloud.

Room service was of very high quality - the food was on par with what you would get at a restaurant.

Overall a very memorable and enjoyable stay. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level for the best views