“The best choice for tourists” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #25 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
London, United Kingdom
“The best choice for tourists”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

If you are visiting Sydney for holiday, the hotel is optimally located in the Rocks area. It is a stones throw from the opera house, harbour bridge and ferry terminals and a 10 minute walk to the shopping district. If staying on business, a hotel near Darling Harbour may be better.
We were upgraded and our room was huge. It did have a harbour view, though this was out of a smaller corner window so not as impressive as we anticipated but the size of room and facilities made up for this.
The hotel was low key and in no way pretentious for a 5 star hotel. Staff were nice and efficient, although we did get people knocking on our door multiple time to clean or check tvs, which was unnecessary.
Overall we are pleased that we chose this hotel and friends in city confirmed this was best choice for tourists.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,721)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Los Gatos, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

a 2 star hotel posing as a 5 star hotel. If you want a lower standard hotel, why pay to be ignored, mistreated, and abused for your holiday stay. Sydney is a beautiful city filled with wonderful, energetic, kindly people who make up for all the shortcomings of a hotel that is considered to be above average. I loved every moment in time while visiting Australia. With a smile from ear to ear, each day brought more than expected and I felt very blessed to be visiting such a great country.
What happened Shangri La?? I am not pleased to write this review. I will return to Sydney, but would prefer to find the spirit of this wonderful land within the place I call "home" at night.. There is no doubt about it, the PEOPLE make a lasting impression, not the soft pillow.

Room Tip: try another hotel..
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

7 Thank Rosalie H
ArpadRomandy, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Rosalie H,
Thank you for staying at the Shangri-La Sydney. I do apologise that you felt this way about your stay and have sent you a separate response about your concerns which you mentioned in our online hotel survey.
Yours sincerely,
Arpad
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have stayed in other Shangri La properties and was thrilled with Sydney. Excellent location 2min walk from Circular Quay in the Rocks, Despite being busy at Christmas the staff were genuine and friendly.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here as a treat to ourselves on Christmas night. The room and bathroom were nice and spacious and though the view of the opera house was in a corner of the room you could only view from a certain angle, I was still overall very happy with the accommodation.

The only thing that was a bit disappointing was the pool area - it was very small and was completely overrun by a family group full of young kids splashing around, including in the hot tub. We ended up staying for 5 minutes and when we couldn't even swim from one side of the pool to the other without being splashed or bumped into by a family playing "catch", we just turned around and went straight back to our room.

I completely understand that this isn't the hotel's fault, and I certainly don't expect the Shangri-La to ban young kids from its premises. Nevertheless, a stay in a luxury hotel like the Shangri-La was a special treat for us and is certainly not something we do on a regular basis - we're expecting our first child next year and this was a bit of a "babymoon" for us. We were really looking forward to having a relaxing and leisurely swim in the pool together, and a quiet, peaceful experience was something that I would have expected from a hotel like the Shangri-La. Perhaps a separate pool area for kids and adults in the future?

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

My partner and I stayed at Shangri-La for two nights last week. Our room is a standard room with the breathtaking view of harbour and Opera House. The size of room is large, as we knew it, compared to other hotels in the city.

Room is great, but housekeeping is a real issue:
1) I slept in on the second day and told the Front Desk on my way out for lunch that our room needed service. When I returned to the room around 6pm, the room was not cleaned - this was a shock at a 5-star hotel. I asked for towels/mineral waters and told Housekeeping to clean our room only after 7pm. Housekeeping came with towels, but forgot the mineral water. Then again a maid came to knock my door at 6:50pm when I wasn't ready to leave the room.
2) We left a pair of jeans in the room on the day we checked out. Called at 5pm to notify the hotel (later I learned that no one took any action for our request) and went to the hotel at 5:40pm to collect the jeans. The collection of the jeans was a 40-minute process and I had to speak to three different employees at Front Desk and finally a forth employee went to Housekeeping to collect the jeans. The question is why it had to take so long? During the entire process, there was no communication, explanation or whatsoever. Front Desk employee Danielle was not very helpful either (she suggested that I should point out the problem with Housekeeping), as she appeared lacking an intereset in helping me - I was waiting at the lobby anxiously while my partner was circling around the hotel in a car. I also found the service quality from Front Desk employees was quite inconsistent.

I stayed at other Shangri-La Hotels in the region, and our experiences in Sydney are not what we have expected.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Fundamentally, the Shangri-la is a beautiful hotel with all the basic amenities you need, and more. In the room, the Shang has thought through all the details, including computer-TV projection abilities and an iphone dock. It's a first class hotel so I expect the best, and the Shang delivered.

When requesting for restaurant recommendations, the concierge went ahead and booked restaurants first, then walked us through the options and all we had to do was pick and choose. The concierge made the stay very comfortable for us.

Most notably on this trip however, was how the Shang delivered on a unique request of mine (and solidifying this 5-star rating in the process). I was in town to attend a wedding and 10 minutes before I needed to leave for the wedding, I realized I hadn't packed my shirt. Upon calling down the front desk asking for store locations around the area, they took the initiative of offering me a shirt from the hotel, and brought it to me room immediately. I was even more pleasantly surprised when I discovered that it was complimentary.

Lastly, upon checkout, there were charges to my room that were not attributable to me, but immediately upon explaining how they were not mine, they waived them without a fuss.

I recommend the Shang given its ability to deliver on quality service that goes beyond reasonable expectation, and given its beautiful premise as well.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

We spent four nights at the ShangriLa Sydney in a Harbour view room. We made prior requests which weren't met and struggled to get the reception staff and housekeeping to deal with fairly basic requests when at the hotel itself. Having said that the room, view and facilities (pool, gym and sauna) were all good. There may be better value hotels in Sydney but overall a nice stay in a good quality hotel. We may also have got better value for money had we booked direct to the hotel rather than via an agent

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family