“Best asset is it's location”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #31 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband, mother-in-law and I stayed one night at the Shangri-La in an Executive Grand Harbour View Suite in February 2014. The valet, bell, and reception staff were friendly on arrival. Since we arrived prior to check-in time, my family waited in the Club Lounge while I tried to get an appointment at the spa. Since the spa was fully booked for the day, I used the change room facility next to the gym to have a steam and shower. I wasn't impressed by the cleanliness or atmosphere of the change/locker room; in fact, I asked the spa attendant if the health club was run by the CHI spa or the hotel. He said it was managed by both. Since there were no other women in the locker room, I asked if he would take a tour with me. I pointed out peeling paint, chips in the wooden doors, long black hairs on the floor of the steam room (after the cleaner had just left), dirt & grime over the steam room door, showers whose temperatures fluctuated wildly, and shampoo dispensers that were defective. There were nails in the walls where apparently there were decorations of some sort before, but now they were gone. The attendant said he would pass these issues to the management and took my name. I never heard from the management about my complaint. It took only a couple hours to be able to check into our room. Our executive room was clean but pretty bland. The bathroom was large with marble floors but the living area and bedroom definitely needed some furniture upgrade. After freshening up we went to the Club Lounge to see if they had food, The afternoon tea was dismal; there were a few finger sandwiches and some macaroons so we decided to go for lunch to Cafe Mix in the hotel. The hostess asked if we would like a table. I asked to see the menu first, She gave us a menu and left. When we decided to stay for lunch, we asked a waitress if we could have a table and she said the restaurant was closed. I told her that we were just offered a table and they asked by whom. I was surprised that the main restaurant was closed in a major hotel and their own staff didn't even know their hours of operation. According to the website, Cafe Mix is open from 6 am to 10;30 pm. and we arrived around 2-3 pm. Breakfast at Cafe Mix the next morning had a nice buffet but the restaurant was so busy that the staff couldn't keep the tables clean. We chose Shangri-La Sydney as the Shangri-La hotels have a fine reputation. We have stayed at the Island Shangri-La in Hong Kong and enjoyed our stay there. We thought we had chosen a luxury hotel chain to take my mother-in-law but in the end it's best asset was it's location and view.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
ArpadRomandy, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Varvara,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback on the locker room at the health club. We are looking into the matter and we apologise if this has inconvenienced your stay. Café Mix is open for lunch from 12pm to 2:30pm, and we are sorry if this was not communicated clearly to you. We are changing the information on our website right now to reflect the correct opening hours for mealtimes. I hope you will grace us with another opportunity to exceed your expectations when you stay with us next.

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Staff was rude at the restaurant. No way to get dinner arguing kitchen will close in 5 min. It was 10 pm.
For this category of hotels and the price level this is clearly not acceptable.
Overall experience was not pleasant as they try to do it ´asian hospitality way ´ but it was feeling fake.
I do not recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Sofy_victor

Dear Sofy_victor,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney. I am sorry to hear your experience in Café Mix and we appreciate your patience as we investigate this matter further. If you can provide further details, please contact me directly via arpad.romandy@shangri-la.com. I hope you will grant us another opportunity to delight you when you visit us next.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Room - Large and spacious , well furnished with good finishes and little extras like night lights at floor level, a must for someone that is night blind!
View - From the harbour bridge to the Opera House with a harbour back drop! What more could one want?
Indoor Pool - Very clean and super warm. Just the thing after retail therapy!
Room Service - Prompt service, good quality and ample quantities.

Room Tip: Harbour super king
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We purchased 3 nights at Shangri La for our parents 50th wedding anniversary recently.
The booking included an early check in at 11am and a late check out at 2pm.
We went for lunch on the day prior to them checking in and arrived at the hotel at 3pm. We were notified that the room was not ready! We were told to wait in the foyer/cafe and someone would come shortly to escort us to the room. We then waited / were ignored for at least 20mins in the cafe. Finally took our order (prices absolutely ridiculous and a 5% surcharge for using a credit card). 45mins had passed so went back to reception where I was informed that the room was still not ready. We finally received access at 4.10pm.
We got into the lift and the key was not cut properly and did not give us access to the room so had to go back to get another.
Once we were in the room, lovely view and everything in order.
My parents ordered extra tea and milk on a couple of occasions and this was not delivered.
One their final evening the bathroom ceiling started leaking around midnight. They called reception and someone came to fix explaining that it was the air conditioning trays overflowing. They were left wide awake at 1am wondering what on earth was going on. The ceiling leaked again through the early hours of the morning. When they checked out they were asked how was your stay and explained what had happened in the bathroom to which the staff member replied "Oh dear". Feel very let down that nothing was said or done to compensate for this inconvenience. We wanted something really special for them to remember and we receive just OK.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NarraGirl01

Dear NarraGirl01,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney. I am sorry to hear about the delay in the check-in process. While we do our best to ensure that guests are settled in at the time stated in the confirmation email, there are factors that may cause delays such as arrival and departure patterns, special housekeeping requirements, room availability and so forth. We do impose a credit card surcharge of 1.5% at the hotel, which is a standard practice across all hotels in Sydney. We also apologise for the inconvenience and sleep disturbance caused by the ceiling leak. Rest assured this has been communicated to our Engineering team for corrective action. We hope you will provide us with another opportunity to delight you when you stay with us next.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My high floor room looked down on the Opera House which was especially impressive at night. I found the hotel conveniently located and within walking distance to the harbor. Had a couple of meals on property which weren't noteworthy, but we're very expensive.

Room Tip: High floors
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband and I booked the Deluxe Grand Harbour View room for our seven year anniversary. We checked in at 3pm and service was friendly and fast. We were given a room on the 7th floor which still gives you fantastic views of the harbour, bridge and Opera House, but if I were staying there again I would ask for a higher floor. The room itself is large and spacious, with a massive bed that was the comfiest bed ever. The bathroom was also spacious with plenty of towels and all the facilities you need.

I immediately went to the windowseat to enjoy the view while my husband put some music on, but unfortunately the iPod dock wasn't working. We had to call the service centre twice in 2 hours before they sent someone up. While he was working we went down to the pool, which is lovely and heated. We didn't use the fitness centre but it looked well-equipped. When we went back up the technician was gone (and the dock too); they had replaced it with a new one by the time we got back to the room after dinner.

Pros: Shower was amazing; really strong with a wide reach. The TV was a smart TV so we could just plug a USB in with shows we wanted to watch and start watching them immediately. Check out was easy also - we called them in the morning and asked for a later check out, and they happily granted us an extra hour. View is incredible and worth the walk up the hill to get to the hotel.

Cons: Decor is a bit dated and brown for me, but we knew that when we booked. Windows were quite dirty which marred the view somewhat.

Overall our stay was fantastic. The view was the best part, and makes the walk up a hill worth it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oishee
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The comfort of the room especially the bed and pillows, they were best I have ever had the pleasure of sleeping on! Also brilliant and attentive staff service.
Cafe Mix served beautiful food, it was just a complete all round wonderful stay!

Room Tip: There is a smoking floor which was absolutely fantastic in this day and age!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business