“Top Class” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Yallingup, Western Australia, Australia
“Top Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay at Shangri La Sydney and number 6 stay at this chain of luxury hotels. I highly recommend paying a bit extra for The Horizon Club and pamper yourself. The rooms are luxurious, the staff are highly professional and the breakfast superb. I can't rate this hotel any less than excellent.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janet A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,719)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Ask for a room facing the Harbor Bridge, with the view and service a room service dinner and bottle wine makes a perfect setting. Also perhaps a pre-dinner drink in the Blue Bar on the 36th floor, but get there on opening as one cant book a table (only downside as a guest)(

Room Tip: This was a special stay to celebrate my retirement. Everything was perfect and this is now our hotel...
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

We usually go away once or twice a year but it's normally in the country side. It had been a few years since we stayed at a hotel in Sydney CBD as we live in Sydney. We didn't have enough time to travel far this time so we decided to have a 5 star holiday during the Queen's Birthday long weekend instead. We were very excited about that. However, the checking in process was a big shock. I wasn't aware that you needed to pay a deposit using a credit card (We never had to do this at the hotels we stayed in the past). We do have a credit card but as we were going to use the EFTPOS facility with another card for this holiday, there wasn't enough money in the credit card account. When I explained I could go and get some cash out using EFTPOS, I was told to pay $600 for two nights deposit because it is cash, not a credit card. This is after paying $725 for the two nights. My EFTPOS card has a daily limit. I only had limited cash in my wallet! I started wonder if we could have dinner that night (perhaps at a McDonalds!) Eventually, they agreed to make it $500, but throughout the process, I didn't find the receptionist very friendly. Right from the beginning, there was no smile or greeting. I thought it could be just this person but when I looked at others, they were basically the same. They were not very friendly and didn't have that five star hospitality you would expect to get. At least I knew my way around in Sydney so I went out to find an ATM (the hotel one didn't accept my card), came back, paid and then this receptionist prints out a receipt, cut it in half using the corner of the desk and gives me this untidy looking piece of paper (photo attached) - I could not believe it! By the time we got to our room, I was totally exhausted. Feeling really poor, very far from 5 stars. The room was spacious with a separate lounge/TV section. It was the week when Vivid (light show) was on but the restaurant was closed on Sundays and public holidays so we didn't get a chance to eat there. A bit surprised about that. Anyway, I don't think we'll be going back to this hotel again. (ps The hotel sent us a survey afterwards. I tried to do it today, rather than sending a negative review to this site, but found the survey was closed after 10 days!)

• 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank brindisiSydney
JessicaSomers, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear brindisiSydney,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear your disappointment with the pre-authorisation process. It is common practice for international hotels to require an additional deposit on top of the accommodation payment to cover any incidental charges incurred during your stay. For guests guaranteeing through credit card, we authorise an additional $100 per night on top of the room rate, which, if unused will be released back to their preferred bank immediately. The processing time for the amount to be reflected back into their account will vary from bank to bank, usually 3-5 business days. Our cash procedure is to request AUD 400 for the first night and AUD 200 on succeeding nights on top of the room rate which is refunded upon check-out if there are no in-room charges such as pay-per-view TV, minibar, or stationery item purchases. Furthermore, guests guaranteeing through cash are encouraged to transact any charges in the hotel directly with cash. We do our best to inform our guests about the monetary procedures in place and understand it can be frustrating if this isn’t aligned with their preferred payment method. We have shared this feedback with our team and hope you will give us a chance to restore your confidence.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

What a fantastic way to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary !!
Fantastic hotel, great views and close to all the wonderful things this vibrant harbour city has to offer...Thank you Shangri-La :) We love staying with you !

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We loved it! It's near the harbor bridge, marina, shopping, etc. very nice. You can take a boat to the Sydney Zoo from the marina at the bottom of the hill. The Sydney opera house is also close by. We saw Keith Urban!

Room Tip: Nice rooms. Modern and good service
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I hear that this was the old Ana that was renovated around 1997-1998, and now named the Shangrila. It has an amazing location and a five mins walk down would take you to the Rocks and the harbour. I liked the skybar and its two outlets. Great drinks and snacks and commands great views of the Sydney Opera House and the park. Find a spot as the place fills up very quickly. The room sizes are decent and the toilets large but I would prefer lighter decor or furnishing in the room.

There are some great opal and hairdressing shop further down from the hotel. My favourite team was the Concierge - they are efficient and were really helpful in sorting out my tours.

Room Tip: Choose one with a view which is not blocked.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Clean and spacious room.
Room was cleaned twice a day.

It was X-Mas time we stayed.
We tried to eat at the one of hotel restaurants but was booked up.
But the staff was very helpful. They found a place where we can eat.very good service from the staff.

It was close to station which had direct train to airport.
We took a train. Was good. Only we had to walk uphill with suitcase^^ it was about 100 meter from the bottom of the street.

Breakfast was good. But expensive. Humm... You can go to cafe down the street near the station.

Reception area were little bit out dated. Looking tired.

The location is perfect. Nth I can complain.
If you want, you can get many tourist spot on foot.

We also stayed Intercontinental, I prefer that place over this.
But this also vgood place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple