“Disappointing stay”

Ranked #26 of 176 Hotels in Sydney
UK
“Disappointing stay”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We were really looking forward to staying here on our visit to Australia but we were disappointed. The room was large and we paid extra to have a room over-looking the harbour so we had an amazing view of the opera house and harbour bridge. The view is what you pay for I guess.

The room was tatty and the general cleanliness was not what me expected. We had stayed at the Westin for 5 days previously but wanted to stay here for the last few days of our trip as we had been recommended by a friend.

For the price we paid we didn't feel it offered good value for money and would not return.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Milan D, Resident Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear lou_pro85,
Firstly thank you very much for providing valuable feedback on your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments.
I am sorry that your visit left you dissapointed and I apologise for the cleanliness issues on your room. This is not the impression we want to leave on our valuable guest and I will assure that we pay more attention to details.
I am happy to report that we are currently refurbishing all Horizon Club rooms including the Horizon Lounge, which will allow us to offer a brand new product very soon.

lou_pro85, I want to thank you again for your comments and truly hope you will allow us to restore the confidence in us.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back soon,

Best Regards,
Milan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,766)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Reasonable hotel in a good location. The rooms were clean. However I was not impressed by the renovation works which commenced before 7am. This is totally unacceptable and ruined my stay. I phoned reception / service desk to complain but nothing was done about it. I would stay at another hotel next time round.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Itterom67
Milan D, Resident Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Itterom67,
Thank you very much for providing feedback on your most recent stay.
It is with regret that I read your valuable comments, and I would like to apologize for the fact that your stay wasn’t as peaceful and relaxing as expected.
I am sorry that you where disturbed by our current refurbishment and upgrading process. Even though we had informed our guests, it was not as quiet as expected.
Itterom67, I am happy to report that the heavy work has been completed, and in the near future we will be able to offer a completely and beautifully renovated Horizon Club with better facilities and guest rooms.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back into a quieter and more relaxing property,
Warmest regards,
Paris, France
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This hotel has all the required features for international travelers who make a stop in Sydney: exceptional view on the harbour (ask for a sea view bedroom, worth it), location in central sydney next to touristic areas (walking distance from most attractions), room service available at all times (precious when jet lagged), rooms are clean and spatious. Last but not least the staff is competent and service oriented. sport facilities and wifi of good quality.
Do not miss the bar on top floor, but be aware that saturday evening is very busy and sunday evening very quiet (bar is closing at 11pm thay day apparently.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I planned this trip for a relative who was a first time visitor to Sydney and required somewhere that could showcase the most well renowned parts of the city and be a good base to see the sights. Though there are differing opinions on the site, I have to say it was the perfect place to do so...for us anyway.

We had full harbour view rooms with a view of the harbour bridge and opera house, exactly as it is in the tripadvisor photo. For someone who has traveled across the world, this is almost worth the entire cost itself. Even I as a Melbourne resident was pretty impressed by it. It is expensive, but everywhere is in Sydney, especially close to Circular Quay.

The beds in the room were extremely comfortable, especially after a long road trip. The City to Surf runners who stayed there seemed to really appreciate that. The bathrooms were great. The shower pressure was amazing, contrary to other reviews.

The breakfast had a great range of hot foods as well as fruits, yogurts, cereals etc. On Sunday they expand the breakfast area to cope with the larger volumes who turn up after sleep ins.

We asked to check out an hour later as we were booked to do a SkyWalk at 10am and wouldn't be back in time. The staff were all too willing to accommodate.

A negative was how busy the skybar was. It is a narrow area and very popular on the weekends. The glass fogged up in parts due to body heat and was a bit uncomfortable. A great array of cocktails, including a $10,000 one if you are keen. Only one beer on tap though.

Another negative is the parking cost. I understand that it should be high on weekdays but there should be a cheaper rate for weekends. We ended up prepaying at the nearby clocktower shopping centre carpark at a cheap weekend rate.

The rocks is my favourite area in Sydney and walking distance to most sights such as the Sydney Tower, Darling Harbour, QVB and Circular Key. The hotel is perfectly positioned to access these and two of my favourite pubs: Harts and the Glenmore. Check our the latter's rooftop.

Room Tip: If you want the best view, get a harbour view room. The Horizon club rooms were being updated during...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MMthetruth
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great location in the Rocks, walking distance into town and .... not much more to write than that. I felt for the product "shangri la" and comparing it to other properties, it was lacking. I felt it looked tired, on the dirty side, service in the lobby lounge for both breakfast and afternoon was ordinary and so was the quality. The stay was certainly not what I had expected. Living in Singapore, therefore being a frequent guest at the local Shangri La, I was surprised at this experience. Defiantly not something I would recommend, nor try again. A pity really.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
MilanDrager, Resident Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear NoBoarders0704,
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with. We value your feedback and take your comments as a way to improve our products and services.
I am sorry to hear that your experience was not as pleasant and nice as you had hoped for. Offering a product that is first class is important to us here at Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney, and therefore we will work hard to improve the sevice and cleanliness you mentioned.
NoBoarders0704, we would like the opprtunity to welcome you back in the future.
Please contact me personally should you plan your next trip to Sydney at milan.drager@shangri-la.com

Very warm regards,
Milan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We booked on the back of good reviews and yes, the views of the Sydney Opera House were very good and maybe this is a good enough reason for some to rate this hotel so highly but unless you are planning to lock yourself in the room and admire Sydney from your room it's not good enough.

Junior Suite was nice too, good size bathrooms. However this hotel is clearly positioning itself for business travel from the dry and boring lobby. We were heavily jet lagged but travel time is too short to even have coffee in such an uninspiring environment. Adequately comfortable and utterly forgettable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear MsPapercut,
I appreciate the feedback you provided on your recent stay with the Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney.
It is a great opprtunity for our team to re-evaluate and improve our operations, and for that we are grateful.
MsPapercut, I am sorry that you found our hotel to be boring and not as comfortable as you had hoped. We pride ourselves on providing a product and service that is impressive and pleasant.
We are currently doing a full refurbishment to our Horizon Club Rooms and Horizon Club Lounge, which will allows us to introduce a brand new product in the beginning of November.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future,
Very Best Regards,
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had a look on trip advisor before selecting this property, and to be honest, majority of the opinions do not reflect this property. Location, wise, there is far better, four-seasons, intercontinental, marriott or sheraton, this property is located off George Street up a hill, where as the others are more location, location, location. Entrance to the hotel in comparison, a little shabby in my opinion.

Rooms, i requested Opera and City, well, the view of the Opera house is at an angle, and the view of the city is of the four-season and an apartment block. If you want views, pay the extra for harbour as the Opera City is just poor, and when a complaint was made, the response from the reception was really poor stating an additional 65 Dollars for a harbour view or 165 Dollars for a slightly larger room. Rooms are clean, decoration is fine, beds are ok, but the pillows are terrible. On a comparison with other Shangri La properties, this is one of the worst i have stayed in.

Bathrooms are clean, bath is of normal size, and the shower pressure is good. No real complaint, standard bathroom.

Laundry costs - ridiculous, unfortunately i was traveling for business from city to city, so Sydney was laundry time.

Staff, not very helpful at all, especially the reception staff that we dealt with. Just rude and not interested at all. Poor promotion of the Shangri La properties. Staff at the coffee shop, full of life. Staff at the Blue Bar and Altitude, all have attitudes and feel they are special because of their job function on what is said to be a swish funky roof top bar and restaurant. Its not, its far from it, and have visited far better, very average indeed. Yes, reasonable views, thats about it.

Was not too impressed with this property and would not come back in the future.

Room Tip: Choose Harbour with Opera, otherwise some ignorant staff member will give you the standard hotel tal...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank L4-Doha
MilanDrager, Resident Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear L4-Doha,
I appreciate the feedback you provided after your recent stay with us. The comments present an opportunity for improvement, and we will certainly follow up on them.
I am sorry that you found some of our colleagues to be rude and not helpful, since this is not a reflection of our intentions.The service shortfalls will be addressed separately, as this is also not up to our ownexpectations.
L4-Doha, our views have been carefully described, I am sorry that you found them to be dissapointing.
I apologise for the fact that your trip was not as enjoyable and special as you had expected.
We would like to welcome you back in the future to truly highlight our services,
Most sincerely