“Exotic Elegance with an Emphasis on Excellence”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #31 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
“Exotic Elegance with an Emphasis on Excellence”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The ShangriLa Hotel is ideally situated within walking distance to Circular Quay transport links, cafes, restaurants, entertainment, the Rocks, the Opera House and Sydney's CBD. The hotel staff were professional, accommodating and friendly. My room was quite decadent and elegantly furnished with a stylish classic decor and a rich exotic colour palette. A fully stocked mini bar is a plus as is a personal welcome note on the TV screen. The room was clean and very comfortable, I had a very restful sleep. The fully tiled, 4 piece bathroom, complete with gold fixtures, was spacious, with a spa like feel. White linen, lovely range of guest toiletries, bathrobes and slippers added that touch of luxury. I loved the leather window seat, a sun trap to enjoy a cuppa and check my emails before breakfast. A wonderful array of breakfast treats were offered from fruit and yoghurt to fully cooked english. Check out was at 11 am, a very civilised hour and the room was reasonably priced for a nights stay. Rating in a word, "Excellence"
Only one negative. Staff turned down my bed and cleaned my bathroom while I was out having dinner with friends. It was a lovely gesture but no one told me. I knew someone had been in my room when I opened the door, things had been moved, my blood ran cold and it quite spoilt my fun night out.
Next time I'll know to expect house keeping during the evening, I think I'll book a front room with Harbour bridge and Opera house views and I'd really love to try their reputable skyline restaurant! Something to look forward too :)

Room Tip: I chose the opera house view. The room had a large window seat and I was able to enjoy the early mor...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,795)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Form the time we stepped into the property, despite extensive planning and calls to ensure lasting memories of this special occasion, there was nothing but commedy of errors with noone taking ownership. From front of house staff to Restaurant .. nothing that was painstaikingly planed for a month turned out

Room Tip: If you advertise media hub, make sure there is a media gub and that it works or at least respond to...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

3 Thank Jack D
Paul M, Director of Sales and Marketing at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear JustineHS,

Thank you for staying at Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney and for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your service experience in Blu Bar. Rest assured we have communicated this to our senior service manager to investigate the issue. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again.

Best regards,
Paul
UK
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We were really looking forward to staying here on our visit to Australia but we were disappointed. The room was large and we paid extra to have a room over-looking the harbour so we had an amazing view of the opera house and harbour bridge. The view is what you pay for I guess.

The room was tatty and the general cleanliness was not what me expected. We had stayed at the Westin for 5 days previously but wanted to stay here for the last few days of our trip as we had been recommended by a friend.

For the price we paid we didn't feel it offered good value for money and would not return.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Milan D, Resident Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear lou_pro85,
Firstly thank you very much for providing valuable feedback on your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments.
I am sorry that your visit left you dissapointed and I apologise for the cleanliness issues on your room. This is not the impression we want to leave on our valuable guest and I will assure that we pay more attention to details.
I am happy to report that we are currently refurbishing all Horizon Club rooms including the Horizon Lounge, which will allow us to offer a brand new product very soon.

lou_pro85, I want to thank you again for your comments and truly hope you will allow us to restore the confidence in us.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back soon,

Best Regards,
Milan
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Reasonable hotel in a good location. The rooms were clean. However I was not impressed by the renovation works which commenced before 7am. This is totally unacceptable and ruined my stay. I phoned reception / service desk to complain but nothing was done about it. I would stay at another hotel next time round.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Itterom67
Milan D, Resident Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Itterom67,
Thank you very much for providing feedback on your most recent stay.
It is with regret that I read your valuable comments, and I would like to apologize for the fact that your stay wasn’t as peaceful and relaxing as expected.
I am sorry that you where disturbed by our current refurbishment and upgrading process. Even though we had informed our guests, it was not as quiet as expected.
Itterom67, I am happy to report that the heavy work has been completed, and in the near future we will be able to offer a completely and beautifully renovated Horizon Club with better facilities and guest rooms.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back into a quieter and more relaxing property,
Warmest regards,
Milan Drager
Paris, France
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This hotel has all the required features for international travelers who make a stop in Sydney: exceptional view on the harbour (ask for a sea view bedroom, worth it), location in central sydney next to touristic areas (walking distance from most attractions), room service available at all times (precious when jet lagged), rooms are clean and spatious. Last but not least the staff is competent and service oriented. sport facilities and wifi of good quality.
Do not miss the bar on top floor, but be aware that saturday evening is very busy and sunday evening very quiet (bar is closing at 11pm thay day apparently.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I planned this trip for a relative who was a first time visitor to Sydney and required somewhere that could showcase the most well renowned parts of the city and be a good base to see the sights. Though there are differing opinions on the site, I have to say it was the perfect place to do so...for us anyway.

We had full harbour view rooms with a view of the harbour bridge and opera house, exactly as it is in the tripadvisor photo. For someone who has traveled across the world, this is almost worth the entire cost itself. Even I as a Melbourne resident was pretty impressed by it. It is expensive, but everywhere is in Sydney, especially close to Circular Quay.

The beds in the room were extremely comfortable, especially after a long road trip. The City to Surf runners who stayed there seemed to really appreciate that. The bathrooms were great. The shower pressure was amazing, contrary to other reviews.

The breakfast had a great range of hot foods as well as fruits, yogurts, cereals etc. On Sunday they expand the breakfast area to cope with the larger volumes who turn up after sleep ins.

We asked to check out an hour later as we were booked to do a SkyWalk at 10am and wouldn't be back in time. The staff were all too willing to accommodate.

A negative was how busy the skybar was. It is a narrow area and very popular on the weekends. The glass fogged up in parts due to body heat and was a bit uncomfortable. A great array of cocktails, including a $10,000 one if you are keen. Only one beer on tap though.

Another negative is the parking cost. I understand that it should be high on weekdays but there should be a cheaper rate for weekends. We ended up prepaying at the nearby clocktower shopping centre carpark at a cheap weekend rate.

The rocks is my favourite area in Sydney and walking distance to most sights such as the Sydney Tower, Darling Harbour, QVB and Circular Key. The hotel is perfectly positioned to access these and two of my favourite pubs: Harts and the Glenmore. Check our the latter's rooftop.

Room Tip: If you want the best view, get a harbour view room. The Horizon club rooms were being updated during...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MMthetruth
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great location in the Rocks, walking distance into town and .... not much more to write than that. I felt for the product "shangri la" and comparing it to other properties, it was lacking. I felt it looked tired, on the dirty side, service in the lobby lounge for both breakfast and afternoon was ordinary and so was the quality. The stay was certainly not what I had expected. Living in Singapore, therefore being a frequent guest at the local Shangri La, I was surprised at this experience. Defiantly not something I would recommend, nor try again. A pity really.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
MilanDrager, Resident Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear NoBoarders0704,
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with. We value your feedback and take your comments as a way to improve our products and services.
I am sorry to hear that your experience was not as pleasant and nice as you had hoped for. Offering a product that is first class is important to us here at Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney, and therefore we will work hard to improve the sevice and cleanliness you mentioned.
NoBoarders0704, we would like the opprtunity to welcome you back in the future.
Please contact me personally should you plan your next trip to Sydney at milan.drager@shangri-la.com

Very warm regards,