“Great value for money”

Ranked #46 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“Great value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Very central location, walking distance to Central Train Station, CBD, China Town and Darling Harbour. Too bad it's quite close to the red district area. But otherwise really great value for money. Stayed in Quad rooms, free internet, serviced daily, friendly receptionists. Laundry facilities. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank YS010109
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I was pleased to read your comments regarding Central Railway Hotel. I hope we get a chance to serve you again next time you are in Sydney.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

we've stayed at this hotel afew times now,and have been extremely happy each time. Clean, spacious, friendly, close to central and city and great value, as with a family of four its very difficult to find a room thats affordable. the first time a couple of us stayed for a week and at $99 a night and having a microwave provided meant we didnt have to eat "out" constantly which cut costs even more. This hotel is always our first choice of accommodation in Sydney

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 250marty
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you for your review on Central Railway Hotel. I was delighted to read about your experience with us. We hope to see you back again soon.
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed in this hotel with family of 3 from 24th to 28th March.We flew from cairns by domestic flight of virgin Australia.At the airport VA charged for our 2 check in bags 40 AU$ each.It seems our booking was saver fare,that doesn't include free baggage?While booking they never mentioned about this baggage rule.(When I travelled in USA and booked local flights they mentioned clearly about all baggage rules at the time of booking itself.Thanks USA).On flight they gave only coffee free.Arrived at SYD at about 9am and took a cab to hotel.Cab fellow charged 30AU$ even though meter is showing 26AU$ in the name of airport toll,which never existed when I enquired later.So at the Hotel front desk we had pleasant experience with young girl at the counter.She welcomed us politely and quickly arranged for an early check in at 10 am itself.We are given room no.1 on the ground floor with one king size bed and one single bed.Room is very clean,with balcony ,good airconditioner.Oven with a few bowls,a wash basin,coffee/tea maker with free supply of sachets and bathroom is small but no complaints as the price is very reasonable a little over 100 AU$ for 3 persons/day.The reception girl gave a printed sheet about near by transport details,restaurants,places to visit etc.along with city map.Our stay was very safe,comfortable and quiet and on checkout time our luggage was kept in safe custody in a room behind reception till late evening as our flight is at 10.30 pm.All the staff at the reception were helpful with a smile.I certainly recommend for families and have no hesitation to stay again.Best thing is there is free high speed internet.Twobus stops are there just on the road ends outside hotel,many go to circular Quay via central station.(8minutes walk to central)Only thing is it is one way road so when you return from circular quay get down at Devonshire stop((2 stops after central stop.)Surrey hill hotel is seen/Elizabeth street crossing cleveland street) and walk down for 4 mts.(Bus 309 ,310,M20 etc.Many buses are there )

Room Tip: As there is no elevator prefer ground floor!Less luggage more comfort always!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank drsivakumark
Thank you for taking the time to review Central Railway Hotel. I was pleased to hear your experience with us was one that you would recommend to other families.

I will also be sure to pass on your positive feedback to our receptionist regarding her friendly service.

We hope to see you again next time you are in Sydney.
Byron Bay, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

I booked into this hotel because it was 2 doors away from my family whom I was visiting . I thought at $99 for a double it would be very , very basic but it was cleaner and bigger than some of the more expensive rooms I have stayed at in Sydney. Two small singles pushed together for a king (albeit slightly different size mattresses) made for a comfy nights sleep. Yes the hotel is on the main road but noise wasn't a factor on the night. All in all - a pleasant stay for a good price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DeeMac61
Thank you for your feedback, it is very important to us. If you choose to return to Central Railway Hotel you will be pleased to find that we have replaced the smaller queen singles with king beds. We hope to see you again in the future.
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

The room was clean and tidy ,the 3 flights of stairs we had to carry our bags up was a bit much. The staff were very friendly and helpful, I left some clothes behind which they posted very promptly to me .It is close to the central railway station which we found very convenient. The local pub down the road they recommend was wonderful,

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christine H
Thank you for posting your review of Central Railway Hotel. I was pleased to read your positive comments regarding your room and the staff. I will be sure to pass these comments on accordingly.

We do have staff available to deliver guest luggage to rooms, I apologise if this service was not offered to you.

I hope we have the opportunity to serve you next time you visit Sydney.
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

The room we stayed in was meant to be a queen bed but it was just two incredibly hard singles mattresses pushed together. We were given 4 pillows and all of them were hard and one filled with paper. When I went to have a shower it obviously hadn't been cleaned because there was hair still on the shower walls and floor.

At night it got worse, for about 4 hours the people from the room on the bottom floor were screaming and carrying on (it sounded like a someone was getting murdered) and the night guard didn't do anything until 1:00 in the morning.

My overall experience of the hotel was very poor, I will never be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to advise us of your concerns. We have taken all your comments on board and value your feedback as an integral part of our continuing aim to maximise service to our guests.

I was sorry to hear of your experience at the hotel. I have spoken to our head housekeeper and night manager regarding the points you have raised and we have implemented process's to endeavour to reduce the concerns you have raised regarding cleanliness and noise control.
Giriulla, null, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I was bit frustrated when I see the hotel out side, because I was with my girlfriend. But this advice from me “don’t get nervous by seeing hotel from outside”. I also though “oh how I would be nice front of road, with noises for me and my girlfriend”. Inside is quite calm. My girlfriend credited me it was the right choice. Its color used for designing the specific rooms was firmly fit with our romantic thoughts. We have spent nights with many hotels but this is specific one. We were charmed by the internal appearance and service from the staff.
There were some little bit of bad features, single rooms were already booked. But how ever staff arranged one for us. But if you are on a family trip be careful about the balcony and the frond road.so think about that when you chose the right room. And there were no lifts, it was tough to carry bags to upstairs.
With little bit of bad things and many good features I recommend this hotel for lovers to stay night. Only thing you have to do is book earlier and choose right room. Other stuff will be done by manager and staff. Your money will not be wasted. I gerrent!.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple