“Great location, clean, value for money :-)”

Central Railway Hotel
Ranked #44 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“Great location, clean, value for money :-)”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Overall was a great place to stay, very clean rooms and serviced daily, handy location (short walk to Central Train Station with cafes along the way to get a coffee) Or turn left from the hotel and a short stroll to some more restaurants and little convenient store. Hotel was simple and comfortable with friendly and helpful staff what more could you ask for, Will definitely stay again if I return to Sydney!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Better than backpacker!Surprisingly nice room at back on first level.No lift but we had no trouble with the stairs and we are in our 60's, no good for those with mobility problems though.Garage was cheap at $22 a day and fitted our 4wd. Well serviced daily and helpful office staff.Quiet when we were there, not many staying.Wifi worked well and was inclusive. Aircon was a bit noisy so we did not use it at night.Take a small frypan in your luggage if you can.No microwave cooking gear at the moment but they are considering it. A nearby Woolies and some cafes/pubs/newsagent/bakery. Nearby access to major road corridors. Redfern park just up the road. Let staff know if you have any concerns, they are keen to improve.We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on ground floor for courtyard and laundry noise and smokers.Rooms at back are quieter.No...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Auckland
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This is my third time staying here. I've always gone back because of the competitive prices, no fuss check-ins, simple and clean rooms, and handy location (10 mins walk to Central Train Station, 15 mins to Chinatown, 20 mins to Darling Harbour).

Our group of four had no issues checking in, early check in was requested and our room was ready by the time we arrived at noon.

Overall its a decent place to stay given the price. Simple and comfortable. Will definitely stay again if I return to Sydney!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank wibian
Scotland
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Overall very good. Functional, clean accommodation and extremely friendly and helpful owners. It was in a very handy location near to supermarkets pub and and of course the train station. We walked to the opera house in about 30 mins.

Reading other reviews here, it is not the Hilton but is fine and given the price I think it's great for Sydney. Not really backpackers as our en suite room was superior to other 3 stars I have stayed in in Australia.

Only complaint was that the wifi is very poor and only reached our room sometimes. Wouldn't put me off returning though.

Also lovely outdoor areas to sit in. Great for Sydney and a big thanks to the kind staff for letting us check in early and leave our bags on our last day.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Edin83
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Very good in a nutshell. I was impressed with it's close vicinity to Sydney CBD. It was just a stone's throw away from Central station. All I needed to do was take public train from Kingford-Smith airport, drop off at Central station, and just walk down around 100m+ down to Redfern where the hotel is at 240 Chalmers Street. If you need directions, just ask around, and the people around are very friendly. I was impressed with the presence of a balcony too, which allowed me to chill out at nights, and enjoy the cold wind, and traffic. I also hung my wet clothes out.

However, it has a few cons as well. Firstly, it is just average, and in fact just better than a backpacker. For a hotel, you can't complain much. I was satisfied as it justified the AUD$149/night I paid for. Had I wanted better, I could've checked myself into a swanky 5-star. It served its purpose well. Secondly, the website said there is a kitchenette. However, the was no stove. It was nothing more than just a microwave oven, a toaster and a flask. If you need to make your own breakkie, buy instant food please. Thirdly, the Wifi was always interrupted. I don't know if it's the router or something else.

Also, choose a room that faces the front so that your balcony faces the road, so that you can chill out and enjoy the wind at night.

All in all, it is value for money as it does have a cheap rate, but surely more can be done to improve our stay.

Room Tip: Choose room #16 on the 2nd floor as it is at the corner, so you get more privacy with less noise. A...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank sophianjamil
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

August 2013. We had a quad room on first level over looking Chalmers St. Room and sheets were clean, although bed was quite firm, I would suggest taking your own pillow if possible because equally as firm. Although overlooking street it was not noisy. Reception was friendly. For those unfamiliar with Sydney, its a 10-12 minute walk to Central station, there are local convenience stores and uphill 10-15 minutes is Crown st Surrey Hills, The Clock hotel has $5 drinks from 5 till midnight on Sundays which was great for us. The shower water pressure is lacking but for a 2 night stay, I would book again for these rates.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my family (husband, 16 yr old step daughter and mother in law) for 3 nights.
Rooms - beds are very hard. Showers are not disabled friendly. Room servicing is very average. Rooms are clean but obvious marks on carpets etc from use. No room to make breakfast - no bench space at all.
Noise - my husband and I were in room 6. Right next to the laundry and outside seating area. Very noisy at night and in the early morning when people were leaving. Room 8 was ok.

We were on the ground floor but still have to climb stairs to get in from the street and car park. This is NOT a disabled friendly place. No lifts at all.

It is close to the city. A 10-15 min walk to Central Station and a bus right out the front that we caught (on a Sunday) to Circular Quay which took 15 mins.

The staff were very friendly and and prompt.

We would stay there again because of its location but ask for a room away from the noise. The price was $732 for 2 rooms for 3 nights. And $66 for car parking for 3 nights. $133 per room per night.

• Stayed August 2013