“Great little hotel”

Central Railway Hotel
Ranked #54 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Central Railway has a hostel feel but there was a good mix of ages and nationalities staying there. My ground floor room was way more comfortable than a lot of other hotels that I paid a lot more to stay in while travelling in Aus. The room has everything you need for a few days basic self-catering and the bed was so comfortable (great pillows for a change) that I struggled to get out of it to go and explore Sydney. Although it's just outside the CBD it's easy to get to from Central Station (upper side) even with luggage and an easy walk to Darling Harbour and Chinatown. There's also a free city bus from just down the road that runs to Circular Quay until mid-afternoon, grocery shops are an easy walk away and Prince Alfred swimming pool is just across the road if you get hot and bothered. Pleasant little outdoor courtyard, which is fortunate because one of the only drawbacks was limited wifi connectivity but you can connect from there and it's a nice place to sit. They offered wifi free so no complaints from me. Very friendly and helpful staff - everyone who was on an upper floor was offered help with their bags when I was there and they were happy to keep my luggage in the office after I checked out until my evening flight. I got a great rate and was very happy with this friendly and well-equipped hotel. It's not 5 star but I got the impression that the management genuinely wants guests to have a pleasant and comfortable stay there - and I did.

Room Tip: Ground floor is good from a luggage point of view but noisier than upper floors
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Flinders-2008

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had reserved the Central Station Hotel, but while we were travelling we were notified by email that our choice was under renovation and Central Railway Hotel was suggested as a substitution. It worked out great for us! Upon arrival we asked about and were upgraded to a ground floor room (wonderful as they have no lift and we had 2 50lb suitcases) and to a king bed (we had reserved a cheaper room with twin beds), no extra charge!, were we very lucky! Plus the excellent frig/micro kitchenette equipped with necessary tableware was perfect. We were set for our week long stay in Sydney. It was a 7 minute walk to the Central Station local train stop; we used the train every day, usually to Circular Quay (3 stops), so we were at the quay are in 20 minutes or less from our room, all for a price that was affordable compared to hotels closer in. We used a grocery store about a 5-7 minute walk and got stocked up with the basics. The WiFi was free, such a treat for travelers, although it would go out sometimes in the evening, the staff were usually very helpful in getting it re-established.

Instead of our original plan to take the train from the airport to Central Station and walk to the hotel we took the shuttle bus which dropped us at the hotel door, no schlepping luggage from the train station, just a couple of bucks more than the train tickets and so much less than a taxi.

The room was very comfortable with a sofa and coffee table for doing our planning, and enough room to lay out our luggage and stuff. The private bath was everything we needed but shower only. The bed was too firm for me but the manager got a foam pad for me and I slept better the rest of the week. Air conditioning worked well even on the hot days.

I rate this hotel excellent because I find no fault with it and it served us very well, but it is not a 5 star property; it is a renovated and modernized mid-block building, a bit outside the main Central Business District, and a bit far from the railroad station for me to want to make the trek wheeling luggage. But it was a godsend of a find for us for a week long stay. I'd certainly do it again.

Room Tip: We were toward the back on the ground floor, excellent location. I'd avoid a balcony room becau...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I choose this place for a business trip and specially because parking was inside the hotel for extra pay of course but it was reasonable.
When i arrived i got the room on the top floor and soon found out that there is no lift!
And this lets this place down a lot, 45 steep steps with heavy loaded luggage isn't that great. And after a long working day either.
There was a crappy WIFI which worked for an hour than because all the other guest went online it crashed.

The room as such was clean, except the shower, which was dirty from who knows what that was, after explaining it to the receptionist it was cleaned twice.
This will not be my choice anymore, as i paid the same for the Rydges in the CBD which was outstanding.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Rudi844
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed here with my wife and baby in early feb and found the kitchenette and size of the room spot on. We will be back as for the money it has everything we needed. Location was good just up from central and the staff helped with any questions we had.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I travelled to sydney with my 2 daughters, as we got out of central station I rang the hotel for directions all they had to say was walk up the hill on elizabeth st but the front office receptionist told me to ask some one on the street.. Hmmm I maybe a bit picky considering I am a front office manager & my staff & I always go the extra mile.... Also when I got there I asked the man at reception where to take my daughters to eat... well he asked if i had a smart phone & to google it... Not impressed at all... No coffee or milk in my room when i got there, bad smell thru the reception area possilble mold... Pick up you game guys!!! For $160-70 a night not worth it

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peta G
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear Peta G,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the level of service you received on arrival. This is not at all typical of the high standards that we constantly strive to achieve. I will investigate the points you raised and ensure it is a strong focus in our next team meeting. If you would like to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at holly.clugston@centralstationhotel.com or 02 92121005.

Kind regards
Holly Clugston

Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

My wife, myself and my brother in law all stayed here for 4 days in January. The staff were all very friendly and helpful with any questions we had. The room was spacious and had good air con. The balcony was a great addition to chill out on. The bathroom was a little dated and could have been scrubbed a little harder. But overall a lovely experience, just time your leaving or returning to the bus stop just outside as the walk can become tiresome. Alternatively taxis are really cheap. A great value for money hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Easy reach of the City, great rooms all you need. Staff friendly. We where of the the Main Street so it was lovely and quiet a great sitting area outside to have a coffee.
Just a nice walk to Central Station also if you like a good walk to the harbour. Across the road a lovely park and local swimming pool.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room away from the street
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple