“Quite Surprised :-)”

Ranked #46 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Hervey Bay, Australia
“Quite Surprised :-)”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Got lost in the city and the receptionist told me how to get to the hotel in a maze of one way streets. When I arrived in the car park beneath the hotel she actually came down and picked up my bags for me !!!!
I had asked for a lower room as I have a "dicky" hip and they actually gave me one !!!
Room was clean and tidy, and spacious. There was no telephone in the room which I found strange, but I, and probably most people do, have a mobile.
Had a problem with the Wi-Fi but then as a mature, non-computer literate person, this was solved when I went to reception and they figured it out for me.
The hotel is close to the city, with plenty of public transport around, food shopping is close and so are the houses of public liquid refreshment ...
No big problems, because I was on the ground floor, so to speak, the hotel's outdoor lounging area was right outside my door which did get noisy, however, this probably only lasted half an hour as people were getting to meet each other ....
I WILL VISIT HERE AGAIN .......

Room Tip: Actually ask for what you want !!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Terry P
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hi Terry P, It is great hear you were pleasantly surprised by your experience at Central Railway Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back next time! Kind regards, Holly Singh.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tugun, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel is conveniently located a short walk from Central railway station.
We discovered a number of excellent restaurants and cafes nearby. There is a supermarket close by for supplies.
We found the staff friendly and helpful.

1 Thank Vicki_and_Mark2014
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Central Railway Hotel. We are indeed in a great location especially if you like to dine out. I'm pleased you got the opportunity to explore the local area. I will be sure to pass your comments on to our team. They are always happy to receive positive feedback. We hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Holly Singh
Moraga, California, Usa
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We just returned yesterday from an 8 night stay at this hotel. We were dropping off our daughter at Hillsong college and the location was perfect for us as it was about midway between the college and the Central Railway station. The walk to the railway station was only about 10 minutes and from there you have access to many places, including Manly beach which I recommend! There were some issues with the wifi and we often went down to the courtyard area where the reception was better. The room can also get a little chilly, but the staff brought us a portable heater and about 5 extra blankets and we were good and toasty for the rest of the trip. The staff was incredibly helpful and nice (especially Virginia). The daily housekeeping service kept the room clean and tidy and whenever there was an issue the staff was quick to resolve it as well as answer the many questions we had about various locations and transportation options. The issues the other reviewers mentioned are valid, but they were not deal breakers for us. I would recommend staying here if you are on a budget (our 8 night stay was only $1035.) and can handle a little adventure. :) Our family of four had a great time!

Room Tip: A room away from the street may be quiter.
Hi Karen R,

I'm glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to pass your comments on to Virginia. She will be very pleased to receive your positive feedback. Thank you for taking the time to review Central Railway Hotel. Your feedback is very important, it helps us implement policy and procedures to ensure we provide the best possible service to our guests. We will be looking into the points raised so we can improve where required, I hope we get to see you again next time you are in Sydney.

Kind regards
Holly Singh
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

While the staff who run this establishment do their best in assisting guests, they have very little to work with when it comes to the overall lack of decent facilities.
Our family booked 4 rooms to attend a family wedding. We booked this hotel as it was close proximity to the wedding and the photos appeared to be OK.
The rooms are very basic and the beds are extremely hard (like trying to sleep on a concrete slab). In fact the bed can only be accessed via one side as the other side is pushed against a wall so you are required to climb in and out at the end of the bed.
There are so called blankets however these are paper thin and provide little warmth.
I think this hotel is popular with guests wanting to party as there is no reception facilities after 9pm. On the first night of our stay there was a loud group partying until 6am the next morning so no sleep was had.
I would never recommend this hotel, there are much better options available and in fact the accommodation costs are extreme given the overall lack of good facilities.

Room Tip: Rooms are paper thin with little filter for noise from other guests.
2 Thank Lyn W
Hi Lyn, We strive to provide our guests with the best possible experience whilst staying at Central Railway Hotel. It is disappointing to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and I sincerely apologise for this.

Although the reception closes at 9pm there is a night manager onsite between 9pm - 8am. Extra blankets have been placed in all rooms to ensure guests are warm and comfortable.

Kind regards
Holly Singh
Canberra Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I had read the reviews so knew about the lack of elevator etc but thought we would try it as it appeared good value for the price. Never again.
1. The power went out 6 times over our stay. Each time you have to go down to reception or after hours call the contact number. Terrible. Excuse was that someone had a hair dryer on!
2. No water for over an hour on our last night. No explanation given.
3. Terrible draught in room from out side door.
4. Soooo noisy. Traffic, other guests, people in the street - constant loud noise including the flushing of toilets of our neighboring guests.
5. We were in room 22 and 4th bed is a pull out sofa bed and too small for my 7 year old - tiny, springy and uncomfortable.
6. Car Parking is a pain and expensive for what it is. We had to drive around to the car park and then walk around to the front to enter and open the doors ourselves
7. Internet connection terrible
8. Bathroom grout dirty, water either way too hot or freezing cold, and shower dangerous to get in and out of.
Location is ok in terms of transport but it's not the nicest of areas and definitely a little scary at night. The only good thing about this hotel was the lovely lady on the front desk.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. While I was pleased you received good service from our front desk, I was very disheartened to read about your overall experience at Central Railway Hotel. Unfortunately we did have an issue with a hot water system shorting out our power supply. This also effected the level of hot water supplied to our guests for a short time. This was rectified immediately and is no longer an issue. I can also confirm the installation of our new system will be completed Wednesday 30 July. This will allow us to provide our guests with free unlimited high speed wifi. There are many wine bars, cafes and restaurants within walking distance, I would not hesitate to recommend our guests walk to these locations after dark. There has never been a report relating to guest safety after dark. Our secure undercover car park has remote control access after hours, I apologise if this was not communicated to you. We aim to ensure all our guests have the best possible experience while staying with us. I sincerely apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I hope we get another opportunity to serve you, I am sure we can make your next stay memorable for all the right reasons. Kind regards, Holly Singh.
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel is 600 m from Central making it extremely convenient to move around. Room is clean, sheets, towels etc are well kept. The best is their staff, very helpful even though the front desk not available in the night. There is no lift, but i am sure if any one has a constraint the staff will help. Some times (on a Friday night) it becomes noisy, but the hotel cant do anything about it. Since a microwave & basic Kitchenette is available this becomes a real cost efficient option. It saves both on travel & food. Will recommend as rates are one of the lowest in the locality, without compromising on quality or service.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road is better as they have a small sit out. The hotel does not have a lift, so men...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your positive review of Central Railway Hotel. I was delighted to read your comments regarding our friendly staff and the cleanliness of our rooms. We most certainly have staff on hand to help with luggage where required. We hope to welcome you back at Central Railway Hotel soon. Kind regards, Holly Singh
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Location and price seem to be good and reasonable...but there is frequent problem in internet connection and there is no drinking water machine...no person to find in reception area after 9pm is another headache....but good service and good hospitality.....overall....recommend to stay ....

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review Central Railway Hotel, I am pleased to hear you would recommend our hotel. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back soon.