“Friendly staff, functional rooms:)”

Central Railway Hotel
Ranked #57 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Pros: Value for price paid, although the hotel was about 10 mins walk to the central station, location still remains great. There are a couple of nice cafes around the redfern area, so breakfast is not an issue. Would like to praise Ms. Virginia the staff receptionist for being friendly and helpful.

Stayed in the family quad room, rooms are cosy but comes with kitchenette stocked with appliances. Beds and toilets were clean.

Cons: The aircon/heater was a little faulty, didn't get it to work properly for some nights.

Overall a good stay and will not hesitate to book again if coming with friends:)

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was pleased how much attention people working in this hotel pay to their guests. It is a case when people define the place. Many thanks to the staff for making our stay so pleasant. Very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hi Irene P, Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. I was delighted to receive your feedback and I am sure the rest of the team will be too. We hope to see you at Central Railway Hotel again soon. Kind regards, Holly Singh.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed 7 nights at this place. We compared prices around the region and this hotel seems one of the cheapest.

The hotel is about 10 minutes' walk from Central Station. You can take bus numbers 309 or 310 across from the hotel and it brings you to Central Station, Town Hall or Circular Quay.

Request for ground floor if you have many luggages, or have elderly / kids because there are no lifts (elevators) in this place.

Our room was relatively clean. There's a small kitchen with microwave and wash basin. The bed is a bit too hard for our taste but if you're not staying 7 nights like us, it should be fine. The bathroom is small, a bit old, but comfortable. But do try to shower early because once, we were late back to our room and the warm water went out in the midst of my shower - not a pleasant thing in winter Sydney... thankfully, the hot water came back about 30 minutes later.

There is a self-operated washing machine (AUD$3 each, make sure you have the $1 coins) and separated dryer on the first floor but the operating hours are only 9am - 8pm, which is rather difficult for us because we're already out for the whole day. I had an entire morning wasted just waiting for the laundry room to be opened, and washing/drying took up another 1.5 hours. It might not seem a lot but by the time we managed to leave, it was already 11am. Of course, all these would not be an issue to you if you're there for just a few days and have no intention of doing laundry.

Some reviewers mentioned the surroundings being noisy but we didn't have problems with that at all. I guess we are very sound sleepers... haha. We were on the second floor, room 17 if that helps.

The staff are very helpful and lovely. They more than make up for the minor inconveniences so we're overall happy with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ristymisty

Hi ristymisty, Thank you for taking the time to review Central Railway Hotel. I'm really happy you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our team, they are always happy to receive positive feedback. I will also address the points raised regarding the laundry hours and water with our management team to ensure a solution is reached. We hope to see you again next time you are in Sydney. Kind regards, Holly Singh

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We are happy with the stayed in CRH. The location is good with a reasonable price in the city. Staff response fast even though you contact with them through the email, very friendly staff when we are doing check in, it provide parking lot with reasonable price too. Walking distance to Central Railway station and Light Railway Station. You could walk to peddy's market to shop, china town is nearby too. First day only provide us 1hr wifi, but the 2nd day we request for whole day wifi and they are able to fulfil our requirement. We will definitely stay here again if we go Sydney again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hi cherlee99, Thank you for your positive review of Central Railway Hotel. I was so pleased to read your comments regarding the location, price and service at the hotel. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Kind regards, Holly Singh

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Only put average as overall rating mainly because Wi Fi was very very slow and this was very frustrating and very inconvenient.
Room was clean & tidy.
Service from reception was very friendly and very helpfull.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. You will be pleased to hear we have upgraded our WiFi System. As of 06/08/2014 we are offering our guests free unlimited high speed WiFi. I apologise for the frustrations you had with our old system. Please be assured you will not have the same problem on your next visit.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Really like the folks who manage the hotel. Had a great experience and very helpful staff. Ideal location as most things including eateries, transportation was easily accessible. Free WiFi was a bonus. The rooms were tastefully decorated. I like the mattress in the bed and had good sleep. If possible, get rooms away from the main street. I did not mind because I am used to this setting in my home country.
The only limitation I would point out is the elevated shower area. To get in the shower might be a problem for folks with ambulatory issues. Needs minor adjustments in making the shower area accessible. Otherwise, highly recommended for business travel and solo travel. Will stay again there during my next visit to Sydney.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review Central Railway Hotel. I was delighted to read your positive comments regarding our staff and experience at the hotel. I will discuss the points you raised regarding the shower accessibility with our Management team. We hope to see you again next time you are in Sydney.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Got lost in the city and the receptionist told me how to get to the hotel in a maze of one way streets. When I arrived in the car park beneath the hotel she actually came down and picked up my bags for me !!!!
I had asked for a lower room as I have a "dicky" hip and they actually gave me one !!!
Room was clean and tidy, and spacious. There was no telephone in the room which I found strange, but I, and probably most people do, have a mobile.
Had a problem with the Wi-Fi but then as a mature, non-computer literate person, this was solved when I went to reception and they figured it out for me.
The hotel is close to the city, with plenty of public transport around, food shopping is close and so are the houses of public liquid refreshment ...
No big problems, because I was on the ground floor, so to speak, the hotel's outdoor lounging area was right outside my door which did get noisy, however, this probably only lasted half an hour as people were getting to meet each other ....
I WILL VISIT HERE AGAIN .......

Room Tip: Actually ask for what you want !!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Terry P

Hi Terry P, It is great hear you were pleasantly surprised by your experience at Central Railway Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back next time! Kind regards, Holly Singh.