“Limited access”

Central Railway Hotel
Ranked #57 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 10 November 2010

No disabled access. Steep steps to main entrance and no lift to upper floor. Would be helpful if these points were made clear on web site and advertising.
Staff were very helpful and willingly carried our cases upstairs for us on arrival, but we still found stairs difficult to manage when going out in the evening.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank haematocrit

Reviewed 31 October 2010

I have stayed in many Golden Chain motels around Australia and have always found them to be of top quality and of excellent value. This hotel was an exception, mainly due to the manager. He tried to show potential guests my room and was extremely rude to me when he was 'found out' as he expected me not to be there at the time. The following day, he entered my room on the pretext that he was servicing the air conditioner, when the filth of the air conditioning filter proved that he had not even looked at it. He smoked in the corridor, he berated a number of guests in a loud belligerent voice, and was insulting and intrusive. He should not be managing a hotel. I don;t know how his staff put up with him.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
23  Thank RenalRide
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Friendly, helpful booking clerk. Room basic, tv no reception, bedlamps not working, airconditioner not working. Clean and basic room. Overpriced at $149.00 for 1 night. Would seek elsewhere next time.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2010

The pictures online and reviews gave this establishment a better look than what was the reality. We were dissappointed. Luckily we were out sightseeing the majority of the time and spent little time in the room. The room smelled damp and musty, the bedding was poor and dingy, and the carpet was like outdoor carpet and desperately needed a vaccuum.I would not reccommend this hotel. Spend the extra 10-20 bucks a night for a better place.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wndytraveler
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I stayed here with friends for a week. It was a typical motel set up, rooms pretty standard and there is a nice patio area we sat for a drink some evenings (no restaruant or bar). The lady at reception (with the English accent) was really nice and helpful. It is about 10 - 15 min walk from the Train (which was quite tiring some days after being on our feet all day) and has stairs out front so be prepared to carry your suitcases up! We were in Sydney to see the sights and were out most of the day so we didnt want a flash hotel, but the lack of cleaning really puts me off staying again! There were hairs on the bathroom floor, rubbish from last guests in the bin and i dont think they cleaned anything the whole week we were there! They didnt vacuum, or clean anything in the bathroom and we had to clean our own dishes (with a grotty old cloth). One day when we returned our balcony door was left wide open from the housekeeper!

It was an alright place to stay if you want the basics, but I would have paid a bit more to stay somewhere that gets cleaned often!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelbugfromNZ
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Were does one start, I picked this hotel for its location & price which in hind sight was really a mistake. On arrival was met by the friendly mangager who showed me to the room after paying in advance for 7 days. after a long flight all one wanted to do was settle in and rest and it wasnt till the next day That I started to find out my mistake. Firstly I got up at 7am to get ready for my bussiness apts for the day to discover for a $100.00 per night you get cold water for the shower & also the shower door was falling apart, after speaking to the manager told to wait for 20 min or till its hot and he would look at the shower door, dont think my bussiness apts would like to wait for me so off to work
with no shower. came home that night dropped my classes nelt down to pick them up and found the last customers rubbish still under the bed, better look further and in the ice box was there food as well. The shower door was fixed 3 days later by my self, the house keeping staff did a poor job, forgot to take out rubbish, never cleaned the toilet the entire time I was there, and even forgot to leave fresh towels. Summary bad management, would not stay there again, Pity a good hotel with great protental if run right. Pity I cant get hold of the actual owners.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank jonof
Reviewed 1 May 2010

The room was acceptable, a reasonably basic standard room. We reached Sydney early in the morning and we arrived at the hotel two hours before the check-in time. We were tired and wanted to wait at the reception. The female staff in the reception was helpful and professional, she had arranged for the room to be ready slightly earlier than the normal check-in time. As we stayed, the linens and towels were not changed daily and when we requested them to be changed after 3 days, the manager however, was rude and unpleasant. He mentioned that linens and towels would not be changed often because we'd been given lower rate as we would stay for few weeks. We understand that we could not expect much in a low budget hotel. However, as a manager of a hotel/motel in a hospitality industry, he had shown low professionalism and had made our stay less enjoyable. Overall, I will not be coming back and will not be recommending it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple