“Great location; fine facilities.”

Rendezvous Hotel Sydney Central
Ranked #88 of 176 Hotels in Sydney
Ottawa, Canada
“Great location; fine facilities.”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

After a gruelling trans-pacific flight I found the hotel welcoming and was able to settle in with a minimum of fuss. The central location made exploring the city easy. I dined in the hotel restaurant with a friend and we both found the menu and service good. I appreciated the air-conditioning (not too cold and not too noisy), the bed and the toiletries. And I especially welcomed the internet service, as the ability to stay in touch is important to me.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steffi O
Emily R, Assistant Front Office Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Steffi O,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review about our Hotel. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay!

I am pleased that you found our air conditioning, internet and bathroom amenities a welcomed service. I appreciate your feedback on our restaurant menu and services and will ensure that this is passed onto the team.

Thank you again for sharing the experience of your stay with us and we hope to see you again next time.

Kind regards,
Emily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Christchurch
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed for one night for business last week. It was fine - easy to find and close to the railway station which I used the next morning to get to the airport for an early morning flight. You can get there by an underground tunnel near the hotel.
Check in was good, check out very easy. It is a basic hotel, my bed was not that comfortable but the room was clean. The TV worked well and it had the toiletries I needed during a quick business trip.
It's name refers to "Studio" hotel but I didn't have any kitchen facilities, just a mini bar so this may an issue for people who were expecting to have these facilities. I didn't need them so no problem for me - I just needed a bed for 10 hours.

So it is good if you just need a basic room near Central - otherwise I would prefer to stay closer to the CBD next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank HughesChristchurch
Emily R, Assistant Front Office Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear HughesChristchurch,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us.

We were glad to hear that you found our front office team efficient with your check in and check out service.

We have also passed on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper to share with the team.

We would like to inform you that we have an array of Hotels within the Sydney CBD and would be more than happy to arrange accommodation with one of them for your next visit to Sydney that better suits your location requirements.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

On our visit to Sydney from 26 Feb - 2 March, 2014, we stayed at the Rendezvous Studio Hotel opposite central station, purely for convenience. We had a busy schedule over the four days and the location suited us perfectly. Near buses, trains, shops, restaurants, pubs - you name it, it was close by!

We actually did not know anything about this small hotel except what we had read on the website. However, we were pleasantly surprised at how nice and inviting the hotel lobby was, how friendly and attentive the young receptionists were, and how spacious and comfortable the rooms were. The huge, extended balcony from the room, overlooking the Central Station complex (no sight of or noise from any trains whatsoever) was also a plus for those wanting some fresh air.

One downside was the design of the shower recess. No doors, no slanting floor so water from the shower seeped out onto the carpet. In fact, the carpet outside the bathroom in our room had permanent water stains on it from the bathroom. Outside our room on the 3rd floor, there were also large water stains on the carpet.

The other thing that we noticed was the thin walls. The guests in the room next door came home late one evening and we could hear them come into the room and start chatting and giggling. However, we had the TV on so soon forgot about the noise.

All in all, a nice place to stay in Sydney, close to where all of the action is, very comfortable beds and at last, a hotel with bright lights to enable you to read in bed!! . Value for money? reasonable...but a little hard to judge since were were visiting Sydney on the same weekend as the mardigras so all hotel rates were on the high side.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the massive Sydney Central Station complex are great as you have a good view of th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IWin178000
Emily R, Assistant Front Office Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear IWin_12,

It is always lovely to hear that a guest has had an enjoyable stay.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the water damage to the carpet in your room. If you can kindly contact the hotel directly to provide your room number so we can have this rectified as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated. Kindly email: reservations.sydneyc@rendezvoushotels.com.

Ireland
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Location wise this hotel was not bad not that far from the main attractions of Sydney right beside the train station that was handy.

The staff we not the most friendliest bunch in the work,they went about their tasks in a very mechanical manner,not overly helpful you would not be confident in approaching them for help from that point of view the hotel would want to up their game.

The rooms were the highlight we stayed a week so having a big spacious room was a help with luggage etc.the bed was one of the most comfy hotel beds I've slept in.

I would advise any one to avoid the breakfast we paid $16 ok it's a buffet job and you can eat as much as you like the quality of the good is very poor go down the road to some of the cafe's and get a quality breakfast for the same price

It's well located with good rooms but need to shape up on everything else

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vitara07
Dear Vitara07,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience of our Hotel. Feedback is always welcomed as it ultimately helps us to improve our services and products and in turn boost the overall guest experience.

Your comments regarding the service from our Front Office team have been noted and have been used as a training tool in our meetings. We have also passed on your feedback about the quality of the food to our Food & Beverage manager and Head Chef and we aim to have an improvement shortly.

Kindly contact us directly to look after your future bookings for Sydney via email: reservations.sydneyc@rendezvoushotels.com. We can assure you that you will see a positive improvement in the areas highlighted by you.

Warmest Regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Rendezvous studio hotels from the 24th Feb - 27th Feb 2014. Upon arrival, we were told that we were to pay a $100 bond which was 1/3 of our spending money and was very unexpected. If this was the travel agent's or the hotel's fault for not disclosing this information, then they should sort this out. My complaint is that a staff member named Antonio was rude to us about it when we clearly were surprised that we had to pay a significant amount of money after already having paid over $600 to stay there for three nights.

My MAJOR complaint is that the money from my account was taken straight away and when we left we were told she said it would take 3-5 working days to be returned. We are students and we were depending on that money. It has been OVER A WEEK and there has been no record of the $100 being returned to my account which has made our life very difficult since we needed University books also. When in the lobby, we noticed several customers having issues with Antonio. When checking out on our last day we asked the hotel to store our luggage. This was fine, a man who was a trainee on the day we arrived was professional and assisted us well. When we went to collect them, Antonio opened the cupboard and said we can 'get them ourselves'. She looked unimpressed at us and made us feel lowly and that we had to do her job for. We found this insulting and very unprofessional for a 4 star hotel.

On a good note, Ying and the manager at the restaurant were exceptional. They made us feel welcome and like valued guests.

In a nutshell, PLEASE I would like my $100 back, Antonio has received several complaints on this site as well as what we have seen in person - we do not think that she should continue to be employed by this hotel. Thirdly, please commend Ying and the restaurant manager for their fantastic service.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Helen R,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback about our Hotel and your experience here. First and foremost I would like to apologise for the service you received from one of our team members. I would like to inform you that we have spoken to them directly and they have received disciplinary action as a result. The service provided by this team member is very foreign to the high standards we set ourselves.

We do not have contact details for you and request if you can kindly contact the hotel directly regarding the hold on your account as we will require the bank you are with to contact their merchant services to release the $100 hold. Please email or call us. Email address is: reservations.sydneyc@rendezvoushotels.com or Phone: 02 9212 2544.

Thank you for your kind comments about Ying and our Restaurant Manger. These comments have been passed on to our Food & Beverage team.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Emily

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a week in February 2014. As tourists from the UK we found it a convenient place to stay. It is opposite Central Station so it is an easy journey to and from the airport by train. There is a stop for the 555 free bus which travels along George Street to Circular Quay very near the hotel.
The room was fine and the staff were very helpful.
We had 4 evening meals in the restaurant and the food was very good.
China Town is nearby and there are plenty of places to eat.
We had a very pleasant stay in Sydney and the hotel played a part in making our 7 days a very enjoyable experience.
The hotel was more exspensive than our weeks stay in Melbourne by about 300 AUS dollars. It may cost more to stay in hotels in Sydney! We were away for 5 weeks in total travelling in NZ, Singapore and Australia and it was one of the more expensive places that we used.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Winslow14
Dear Winslow 14,

Thank you for your kind feedback about your stay with us. We have passed on your comments to our Chef.

When you are in Sydney again please contact us directly to make your booking email: reservations.sydneyc@rendezvoushotels.com

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel.

Warm Regards,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I was on a business trip and had to stay at this hotel for 2 weeks.

- During check-in, the staff wanted to pre-authorize our card for a minimal amount but I instructed to charge one full week in advance instead of pre-authorizing since it was a travel card. Even after the specific instruction given, don't know why it was too difficult to understand, but during check-out, I found out that the card was pre-authorized, blocking a AUD1000 in my card. When consulted with the staff (Antonio I think it was), she was pretty rude and said that we cannot charge an ad-hoc amount in advance, we can only charge the full amount, to which I asked that if I chose to stay 30 days, you wouldn't take an advance for 15 days? To my surprise the response was no, we will charge you for your entire stay or pre-authorize! Which hotel does not want to take an advance? I was amazed at the response.

- The staff were not knowledgeable relating to what they do with your laundry. They themselves aren't sure whether they do a dry wash or a clean wash (with water). You have to give your own laundry down at the reception, they do not pick it up from your room. This prompted me to give my laundry to Platinum Valet (google it) which picked the laundry from the hotel and dropped it back, much more professional than the hotel service and much cheaper. The hotel staff told us that if we needed a water wash, we can pay for the soap use the machines on the lower levels of the hotel.

- Breakfast was strictly okay, not at all value for money. I did not end up having anything at the hotel for any meal, I usually would, but the attitude of the staff put me off.

- The TV would switch off on its own if you watch (say half an hour). It does not start again for quite some time. I-pod docking station would not work, it is just to mention I believe in the hotel details. This hotel really needs some new electronics in the room.

- Few good things about the hotel are the view from the higher rooms, the bed and pillows are soft, the room was cleaned every day, shower is nice and has hot water, toiletries are replaced on time, the view from the terrace is great, location is pretty good, magazines in the hotel lobby are good too.

Honestly, I would definitely not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel if you want a peace free stay & believe in good service.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank VJ0212K
Emily R, Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear VJ0212K,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay with our Hotel.
First and foremost we would like to apologise for the frustration caused to you during your stay. We would like to advise you that as a result of your feedback we have revisited our check in procedure for long stay guests and are sourcing options for updating the electronics in the guest room.

We are revisiting our training of the front office team to ensure these issues are addressed and improved.

We hope that when you are in Sydney again you do consider giving us a second chance to prove that we pride ourselves on delivering a high standard of service. We recognise in this case we did not meet that level of expectation and it was our guest experience that suffered.

If you do decide to stay again please contact us directly via email: reservations.sydneyc@rendezvoushotels.com

Warm regards,