“Rude Desk Staff and dull rooms” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Crest Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sydney
The Crest Hotel
Ranked #141 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Australia
“Rude Desk Staff and dull rooms”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2005

I had a disastrous experience in Sydney.
It was weekend of the Big Match and all accommodation booked out.
I found a room at a Backpackers in Pitt Street which was like a rabbit warren with what looked like a prison cell with a small bed and no window. I stayed there Saturday, but went looking for new hotel for Sunday to Wednesday when i was flying out.
I booked using 'Hotels' the Crest and selected room with view of the bridge.
Book out was 10 am so I took a taxi to The Crest. They said the room was not ready until 2PM, gave me a room on the 8th floor, and I left my luggage, including laptop, with them for storage with instructions that I will not return till 9pm or later, as I was going to visit my family, could they please put luggage in my room and prepare room for me to return to.

At 10PM I return, to find a very rude desk clerk. I stand there saying, I need a key...he said I have one..I say I don't, that my room was not ready. He brings me an account from the spa bath to say I was there. 'Yes", I say, 'I was there because the room was not ready and I had to fill in a few hours before going to visit my family".
He is not convinced. I get angry. I ask to see someone about a key. He finally gives me a key for room on second floor. I say I was on 8th before with harbour view.
Then I see my luggage still in the foyer tied with a chain. He unlocks the chain, and I stand there. I sayneed help with 3 cases to my room. He says there is nobody to help. I say if you take a bag and I carry 2 to the lift I can manage from there. He says it is not his job.
I ask for help to find lift and room and again we have words. He takes me to the lift and it doesn't go. He takes my door card and puts it in lift..I have never seen door card for a lift before.
I go up alone and find my room. It is very bleak. Brown with brown bedcover, and small bathroom. I look for view...and I can barely see the bridge. I feel sad. Its not nearly 10.30pm.
I go downstairs and tell him I do not wish to stay there.
He does not care...I pay for the spa...and I stand there wondering what to do. I walk outside...my luggage is still standing in the foyer... I see a Internet cafe next door, and ask how much. I go and get my luggage and place it by the door and go on Internet and look for another hotel....then my cousin calls to ask how I am and I tell her I have no-where to stay.
She says take a taxi and come there...I hail a passing taxi and stay with her till I leave for Korea.
I do not like the Crest Hotel and think that the night desk reception staff was very rude to me.
You can see my photos at Artwanted where my artist name is Ladymaggic
I also have a Sydney Album at Webshots Community.webshots.com/user/ladymaggic

I have a travel page ----- where you can read about other places I have written about or visited. I have done much travelling and the Crest was the rudest I have ever met and its the first time i have walked out of a hotel ...at 10.30PM too in the night.
Ladymaggic 2005
Maggi Carstairs

11 Thank Ladymaggic

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2004

Front desk staffs were extremely friendly and helpful.They gave us tips on how to get around and shared with us many insights of the city.

Nothing much could be said about the room as it
was kind of old and the flooring carpet was stained
but liveable.

Into the wee hours we were 'entertained' with lewdy slurs of drunks and pub patrons.Still,we fell into deep slumber after a while so it didn't bother us much.

If you're looking for a budget hotel,this is a good pick as it's strategic to get around with the Kingscross station and bus stops only a few doors away.Accessing the eastern suburbs and city was easy as ABC.

• Stayed May 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2004

having stayed at the crest hotel in sydney i must say i was very happy ! that was until i recieved my credit card statement ! on checking trasactions i was shocked to find $50 had been taken from my account !
i emailed the hotel to find out the reason for this and there reply was that human sick had been found on the floor and both beds ! now whats the problem with that i hear you say ! nothing if you have left the room an said state ! if you havent well thats where your problems begin ! all i will say to anyone thinking of staying there is when you leave your room make sure the cleaner has inspected it first ! i would hate this to happen to anyone else ! this one problem has really took the shine of what otherwise was an exellent holiday !

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2003

Have been staying at the Crest and visiting the Bathhouse ( at least 2 or 3 times a year ) for over 10 years - this speaks for itself ! Love the all over massage, scrub and facial, especially after being bathed in Champagne-like bubbles in the Ginseng Bath. Staff are always friendly and efficient.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2003

Hotel and furnishings seems a little dingy. The carpets seem old, abused and dirty. Wallpapered walls are greyish brown giving a depressing look to room. Hotel service attitude seems neutral. No facilities for kids. Soundproofing poor, especially in room with connecting door.Closeby outside on the street are drug addicts, pushers, ****, pimps, sleaze joints, dodgy-looking fast food shops etc. You need to take the subway (no lift), bus or taxi to reach main tourist locations in the city, or walk for 20 to 60 minutes. Many loud drunks on the streets on Friday and Saturday nights.A disappointment if you are used to international standard good 3 to 5 star hotels - if you are a tourist it's worth upgrading to a better hotel and location. OK if you're on a tight budget, without kids, and a bonus if you like ginseng baths and/or massage, or rough and sleazy bars.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member