“OK ... but some watch-outs”

Hyatt Regency Sydney
Ranked #82 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“OK ... but some watch-outs”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We recently stayed here for three nights in May. While overall the experience was OK - I would not recommend this hotel as I think there are better options available.

The hotel is well located on the city-side of Darling Harbour, a 2 minute walk to Chinatown, the QVB building and shopping streets as well as Cocklebay Wharf. If location is a key need you will like the area and the easy access it gives you to central Sydney.

A typical Four Points this hotel has all the basics covered, restaurant and bar area, conference facilities, gym but the design of the hotel reception area is neither modern or inviting (although its great to have the off-street driveway if arriving by taxi or car). The gym itself is small and not very well ventilated - its location next to the conference rooms may mean you are coming out hot and sweaty at the same time as tea and coffee for 50 executives.

Checkin seems smooth. We made the unfortunate mistake of not specifying that the room was for 2 people. The effect of this was that we were only offered a room with two single beds - due to the hotel being fully booked. This was obviously disappointing - and would have been nice to be emailed in advance to clarify/warn us of this.

The room was OK. We were on a lower floor at the far end of the corridor meaning that we were close to the motorway that the rooms look over. Getting a higher floor room would be recommended as this will give you the benefits of the view (nice over darling harbour) without the noise of traffic. Our airconditioning also was not working properly.

Cleanliness was not as high as we would have expected. This was due to the rooms being tired with a lot of luggage marks on the walls, cracked tiles in the bathroom and we also needed to request that some of the bedding be changed due to stains.

The staff were friendly and helpful and unlike another recent review we had no issues - everyone was quick to address any questions, concerns and over advice.

Overall I think this is a functional hotel that may (depending on time of year) represent a value for money option in a central location. But if you want the hotel to be part of your experience I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Higher floors seem preferred - watch out for lower floor noise
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
FPSS, Manager at Hyatt Regency Sydney, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear jab513,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour and taking the time to post your views online. I appreciate your detailed feedback and both your positive and constructive comments as this allows us the opportunity to review areas where we fell short of expectations and make improvements where necessary. Rest assured, we take such feedback seriously and I have shared your observations particularly those on the cleanliness and maintenance of the room, beddings and the airconditioning system to our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer to ensure all areas of the guest rooms including the facilities are thoroughly checked at all times prior to being occupied. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by these shortfalls. On a positive note, I am grateful for the kind words you mentioned concerning the caring service of our associates and that you were pleased with our excellent location in the city. Again, thank you for the gift of feedback, and I hope you will allow us to welcome you again to the Four Points when you are back in Sydney.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (986)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
melbourne
Reviewed 1 June 2012

i enjoyed my one night stay check in was smooth. the room had a view of darling harbour and although traffic was flowing directly below the hotel the noise did not intrude into the room. the bathroom was clean and tidy. I tried the room service hamburger while it tasted great and was hot the $33.00 charge was very steep. Check out was very quick and luggage storage was very efficent. I would definitely stay here on the next trip to Sydney

Room Tip: pay the extra for the harbour view
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank whitey09
FPSS, Manager at Hyatt Regency Sydney, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear whitey09,

Thank you for your favourable review. Meeting guest satisfaction is important to us and I am delighted to know that you had a pleasant and uncomplicated stay at our hotel. Thank you also for trying our in-room dining service. Please be assured that we benchmark our pricing with Sydney hotels in the same category. Again, thanks for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, hopefully soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 May 2012

stayed there few months ago october 2011 for 4 nights and it is a nice and modern hotel and very good location in darling harbour and 5 min walk to the main shopping center. I would say that staff could be more friendly, i found them friendly but just the minimum really just like they do their job but nothing extra to make you feel that you are very welcome and when i was asking the concierge i felt like i was annoying him and We asked him for a good yumcha restaurant around and we have been really disapointed. perhaps porters and doorman service was amazing and very efficient. Room are very spacious and quiet but view wasnt great facing the street and an office building which we could even see everything inside. I guess the view facing darling harbour must be amazing.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed at the hotel for two nights it's a nice hotel but I want to share that you have to be carefull with the staff , I was told by bell boy that if I use this hire care for airport it will cost me less than normal taxi but I was overcharged by the driver around $80 . I found about this because my other friend use taxi and paid around $40 . It's almost the double I paid and my driver told me he paid $10 to bell boy because he gave this job to him so pls be carefull

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Manjit S
FPSS, Manager at Hyatt Regency Sydney, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Manjit S,

Thank you for your review. I was most concerned to hear of this occurrence and my sincere apologies that you have experienced this in our hotel. I find this unacceptable and something that is not encouraged in our hotel. We have very high service standards that we maintain at the Four Points and rest assured I have discussed your comments with our Chief Concierge for immediate follow up. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that despite this incident, you will allow us to welcome you back to the hotel.

Sydney
Reviewed 27 May 2012

My wife and I spent 1 night at the hotel whilst we celebrated her birthday. Checkin was smooth and uncomplicated. We had paid for parking and breakfast as part of our package. Parking was directly across the street from the hotel. We had booked a harbour view room and it was worth the extra money. Fantastic views of Darling Harbour and surrounds. Room amenities were very good. King sized bed, cable TV and the bathroom was also above average.Plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Easy access to all the atractions at Darling Harbour. Breakfast was very good with plenty of different choices. Checkout was quick and easy with no delays. Overall a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view room if available, it is worth the extra few dollars.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wedgie48
FPSS, Manager at Hyatt Regency Sydney, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Wedgie48,

I was indeed happy to hear that you had a great experience at our hotel and that we have in some way contributed to the enjoyable celebration of your special occasion. Thank you for your favourable comments on our location, service delivery and facilities. We are very focused in delivering service excellence and it is reassuring when we receive such positive feedback from our guests and learn that we have met their expectations. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, hopefully in the not so distant future.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 23 May 2012

As a travel consultant, I had a lot of trips, one was Australia. My friend and i went and we stayed here for 2 weeks, did day tours. We did trips everyday. In the lobby they had apples flowing from a basket for the guest staying there,

Room Tip: We had a room facing the harbor and within walking distance from the walk
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank phyllism38
FPSS, Manager at Hyatt Regency Sydney, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear phyllism38,

Indeed I was thrilled to read your positive review, especially one coming from an experienced traveller. I am delighted that we have contributed to your enjoyable visit in Australia and we hope that your future travel plans will include another stay in Sydney. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, hopefully in the not so distant future .

Ronak
Reviewed 21 May 2012

For a 4 star it is was a great hotel – outstanding location, very pleasant staff, great bar and above average breakfast buffet. Went there in March and had a wonderful time. Will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
FPSS, Manager at Hyatt Regency Sydney, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear rorakkk,

Thanks for the excellent review! I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed our great location, our dining venues and most importantly, our associates’ service delivery. It is always reassuring when our guests provide us with positive feedback and learn that we have met their expectations, We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Four Points be Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour, hopefully soon.